Congressional candidate allegedly body slams reporter

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 10:33 pm

Quote:
MISSOULA, Mont. — Greg Gianforte, the Republican candidate in Montana’s special congressional election, was accused Wednesday night of assaulting a reporter for the Guardian who had been trying to ask him a question. Gianforte, who is seen as the slight favorite in a race that ends Thursday, left what was supposed to be a final campaign rally, at his Bozeman headquarters, without making remarks.

The Gallatin County sheriff’s office said Wednesday evening that it was “currently investigating allegations of an assault involving Greg Gianforte.” At a press conference, Sheriff Brian Gootkin said that witnesses were still being interviewed, and that four other people had been present for the incident.

In an audio recording published by the Guardian, the reporter, Ben Jacobs, can be heard asking Gianforte to respond to the fresh Congressional Budget Office score of the American Health Care Act, a bill Gianforte has said he was glad to see the House of Representatives approve. According to Alexis Levinson, a reporter for BuzzFeed, Jacobs had followed the candidate into a room where a camera was set up for an interview, before the event began.

“We’ll talk to you about that later,” Gianforte says in the audio.

“Yeah, but there’s not going to be time,” says Jacobs. “I’m just curious about it right now.”

After Gianforte tells Jacobs to direct the question to his spokesman, Shane Scanlon, there is the sound of an altercation, and Gianforte begins to scream.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 298395a9a2

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 2:05 am

Wouldn't the one who got body slammed be the one doing the screaming?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 7:09 am

EzraS wrote:
Wouldn't the one who got body slammed be the one doing the screaming?

Audio recording of the event, and he was cited for assault by the police last night.

*edit: Also of note there were three witnesses from another news organization (local FOX affiliate) that corroborated the story of Mr. Jacobs. It appears we will have yet another elected official that displays erratic behavior since Gianforte is expected to win the election today.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 7:36 am

Ah screaming as in shouting.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 May 2017, 7:39 pm

So is it a positive or negative with voters to bodyslam reporters? :lol:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 7:59 pm

Jacoby wrote:
So is it a positive or negative with voters to bodyslam reporters? :lol:

Perhaps Montana voters, but even then we'll never know what these voters think about it since 65% of the votes had already been cast by the time it happened.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 May 2017, 11:52 pm

'Breaking News' Gianforte wins :lol:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 12:00 am

Jacoby wrote:
'Breaking News' Gianforte wins :lol:

Well of course he did, it's Montana and 65% of the vote was in before he assaulted the reporter as I mentioned above. Couldn't read between the lines on previous comment?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 12:27 am

In light of this and other recent occurrences in the States, I can no longer have the respect for your county that I once did. That this guy was elected after behaving so egregiously and with the election Trump, the bully, I am left to think that you guys are a bunch of thugs.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 1:01 am

^did you read the above post?

most of the votes were in BEFORE he was bodyslammed. and i'm inclined to believe that yet more of them came un before the news actually got out.

and even then, lots of the constituents could have not cared.

i can imagine lots of his supporters shrugging this off, if they really care about what he brings to the table

not saying i like what he did. i'd shoot him if he did that in my home.

can yankees be blamed for liking "strong" men after years of troubled times? can you understand that?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 1:03 am

i guess no one was really in the right. the reposter seemed kinda pushy himself.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 1:20 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
...can yankees be blamed for liking "strong" men after years of troubled times? can you understand that?

Strong men? I think they are the problem. It's time for a strong woman to settle things down.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 1:34 am

^ That's pretty much the line Theresa May is using in the current UK General Election campaign.... :lol:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 1:47 am

DeepHour wrote:
^ That's pretty much the line Theresa May is using in the current UK General Election campaign.... :lol:

Well, she's right. Look at the example Trump sets as he pushes the prime minister of Montenegro to get in front of him. The US is being governed by a lunch line bully.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 2:20 am

The point about May's 'Thatcher Redux' type strong woman act is that it'd be a damn sight more convincing if she didn't continually retreat from so many of the policies she proposes. Makes her look like a cynical opportunist (aka a politician).

http://www.lbc.co.uk/politics/parties/c ... reversals/

I agree with you about Trump btw, appalling behaviour in that clip.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 4:56 am

I don't know much about current politics in England, but I would resist the urge to only compare her to Thatcher. There are more women in politics than Thatcher, May and Hillary.

I don't think that the behaviour of this candidate and Trump represent the behaviour of all men. Just a certain type of man that seems to be in Vogue in the States.