Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 10:28 am

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/white-g ... ek-series/

Quote:
The new series Star Trek Discovery stars Asian actress Michelle Yeoh as the ship’s captain and black actress Sonequa Martin-Green as her first officer — and this has caused some Trekkies to fret about the lack of white men in charge.

While the overall reaction to the new Star Trek trailer has been positive — although there are the usual complaints from Star Trek fans about continuity errors — one group of fans is particularly upset about the show’s diverse cast of characters.

As both Heat Street and Daily Kos point out, the series’ YouTube page has been bombarded by comments labeling the show a “SJW” plot aimed at shoving “political correctness,” “forced diversity,” and even “cultural Marxism” down viewers’ throats.

Additionally, some angry Twitter users have even proclaimed that the show’s diverse cast is evidence of a “white genocide” conspiracy aimed at eliminating the white race from the face of the Earth.

:roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 12:26 pm

If it is a plot the groundwork was laid in 1966 when the original series had black female, Asian American, and Vulcan Starship Enterprise crew members. The show had "liberal" plot themes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 7:56 pm

I don't know bout any of that. It just looks like it's going to suck.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 11:50 pm

Even before anyone knew just what the Alt Right was, those idiots were b*tching and moaning about how The Force Awakens had been leading the charge for white genocide. I rather doubt these cretins who are complaining about the lack of white men on the new show are real Trekies, but are Richard Spencer and company.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 2:52 am

Captain Skisko ... Deep Space nine

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:20 am

If they're good actors then they're good actors. If they suck then replace them. What are people worried about? There are typically more actors of European heritage because a larger percentage of the US/UK population is white. Not so surprising for UK for obvious reasons. But I don't think it's that big of a deal. People are going to keep finding reasons to get mad at everything. Who cares if they're all white all black or all Asian.

Plus, as a Caucasus/Middle Eastern/Eastern European/South Asian I think race is kind of dumb. I don't match any of the big 3 (Asian, White, Black) here in the US and I'm excluded because of this. This categorization needs to be readjusted anyways.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 12:04 pm

When will the oppression of White people in outer space ever end? :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
When will the oppression of White people in outer space ever end? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 4:42 pm

...HONKIES :arrow: IN OUTER SPACE ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! :lol:

="Kraichgnaturalplastic"]When will the oppression of White people in outer space ever end? :lol:[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 4:44 pm

What do you say now, Gil Scott Heron?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 4:55 pm

...(Implicitly , anyhow) Marvin Gaye , too...

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 5:48 pm

There are only two possible responses to anything Star Trek related. Both would come from the late Maurice White of Earth, Wind, and Fire.

They are:

https://youtu.be/vwc0AW67CmA

and:

https://youtu.be/8-O7n9wCgiw

Last edited by naturalplastic on 26 May 2017, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 5:51 pm

The whole idea of the Star Trek crew from the beginning was diversity. That's why members the the primary crew were female, African, Asian, Russian, Vulcan etc.

A few jokers make a few hoax tweets and whatever and of course it's supposed to be some big bad alt-right movement threat to freak out over - which is why they do stuff like that. And I wouldn't be surprised if half of it comes from the rad-left.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:14 pm

You know who wouldn't care one iota? Gene Roddenberry, white male, WWII veteran with 80+ combat missions, and also the creator of Star Trek, who once opined: "Understand that Star Trek is more than just my political philosophy, my racial philosophy, my overview on life and the human condition."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:16 pm

EzraS wrote:
The whole idea of the Star Trek crew from the beginning was diversity. That's why members the the primary crew were female, African, Asian, Russian, Vulcan etc.

A few jokers make a few hoax tweets and whatever and of course it's supposed to be some big bad alt-right movement threat to freak out over - which is why they do stuff like that. And I wouldn't be surprised if half of it comes from the rad-left.

Reactionaries in the south wouldn't allow Star Trek to be shown back in the '60s due to the integrated crew, so they played the Grand Ol' Oppry instead. Call these reactionaries what you want, but they're all cut from the same cloth.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2017, 6:26 pm

Anybody who follows Star Trek has to be aware that valuing diversity is a key message of the whole series. That said, the The Next Generation is the only Star Trek series I've ever liked, but I love that one.

I actually really like Michelle Yeoh, mostly because I grew up on kung fu movies, so I'll probably check this out and at least give it a chance.