Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:57 am

In 1966 there were very few TV shows with nonwhite lead characters.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:

But of those few?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:15 am

...Bill , I have never heard of any NBC affiliates in the South no clearing ST:TOS during it's original run , but I can believe it
Ezra , I think the conditions regarding

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:21 am

EzraS wrote:
The whole idea of the Star Trek crew from the beginning was diversity. That's why members the the primary crew were female, African, Asian, Russian, Vulcan etc.

A few jokers make a few hoax tweets and whatever and of course it's supposed to be some big bad alt-right movement threat to freak out over - which is why they do stuff like that. And I wouldn't be surprised if half of it comes from the rad-left.

Ahh... So, when "SJWs" flip out over some silly BS it is fine to generalize everyone on the left as politically correct Nazis.

BUT, when alt-right douche bags flip out over a silly TV show, it must be some kind of conspiracy and, even if it isn't, you can't generalize about people on the right because they're individuals...

Sounds kinda snow flakey to me. :?

:P

PS

Another thing to consider, it was easy for southern TV stations to drop Star Trek because it wasn't highly rated. Also, unlike the very few other shows with black characters, the ideas behind Star Trek threatened the social/cultural order--much like today. That's why people on the atl-right have such a negative reaction to the show.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:36 am

GoonSquad wrote:
Another thing to consider, it was easy for southern TV stations to drop Star Trek because it wasn't highly rated. Also, unlike the very few other shows with black characters, the ideas behind Star Trek threatened the social/cultural order--much like today. That's why people on the atl-right have such a negative reaction to the show.

Not to mention it involves space, thus science: the devil's art. Aside from the cultural message of Roddenberry, the show came out in the early years of space exploration, when many more people than today claimed the moon landing and even the mercury missions were faked. So it's a two-fer, racial tolerance and science in one easy package to hate for some people.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:11 am

...the Big Three networks and their affiliates were quite different in the Sixties . Back then , I believe it was quite more common for some shows to not be carried by some network affiliates (or shown in a lesser timeslot) , generally just for percieve d flip-flops more than offending someone - However , yes , I guess Trek could do the latter then . I don't think
anything from the Big Three stations the. would get any local stations FCC fines back then​ .
In modern times , I think the B3 pressure their affiliates​ far more to carry everything . However​ , I do recall recent-ish examples of some .more conservative stations not carrying Ellen and NYPD Blue . Wasn't​ the Grand Ole Opry always a live Saturday​ night show and network ST:TOS. never shown on Saturday ?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:32 am

EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

But of those few?

The Flip Wilson Show, the Original Bill Cosby Show, Julia, the Mod Squad, were all 1969, or after.
The year the original Star Trek series ended its 66 to 69 run.

The only minority starring show of 66 I can think of is the Jose Jimenez Show.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
EzraS wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Local NBC affiliates make those kinds of decisions sometimes, for different reasons.

And it's Opry.

Really, NBC affiliates got to decide on network broadcasting during primetime back then when there were only 3 networks? Did this apply to other shows like the Mod Squad, Julia, the original Bill Cosby show etc? And was it ABC, CBS and NBC all showing the Grand Ol Opry during network primetime hours or just NBC?

It makes sense to me that station owners would determine what they broadcast, and no, the networks never show the programming of other networks. They do sometimes all show the same events such as Presidential speeches and such, but even then they each have their own camera crews and commentators.

So people owned their own private pieces of NBC back then and could just completely ignore the NBC parent company? As Spock would say, fascinating. And so while NBC was showing the Grand Ol Opry instead of primetime network programming in the south, was CBS showing Hee Haw instead?

CBS didn't show Star Trek, so, no.

So it was just Star Trek that was replaced in the south and not other shows featuring non-white primary characters?

There were no other shows on TV at that time that were so racially integrated.
Back in the 30s, theater owners in the south refused to show Our Gang/Little Rascals films, because the classroom was clearly integrated with Buckwheat and Steimy.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 5:16 pm

EzraS wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Local NBC affiliates make those kinds of decisions sometimes, for different reasons. And it's Opry.

Really, NBC affiliates got to decide on network broadcasting during primetime back then when there were only 3 networks? Did this apply to other shows like the Mod Squad, Julia, the original Bill Cosby show etc? And was it ABC, CBS and NBC all showing the Grand Ol Opry during network primetime hours or just NBC?

Yes, affiliates, to-this-day, get to decide what / IF they want to air something----and, they can only choose the time, I think, if the show is in syndication (otherwise, the network decides the time, I think). There's been more than once, that I've been surprised that a certain show was on (whatever time/channel), cuz it wasn't being shown, HERE, in Baltimore. Because Baltimore is predominately black, most affiliates are gonna choose shows, understandably, that cater more to that market.

No, it wasn't ALL the networks showing the "Grand Ole Opry", because not all networks had the rights to air "Star Trek"----it wasn't in syndication, like it is, now (ANY network can air it, now - it doesn't matter that it originated on NBC).

Also, yes, this applied to "other shows"----though I don't remember hearing that the other shows you mentioned had been "banned", per se, in the South; I DO remember hearing people in the South being up-in-arms over those other shows, because of the black main characters. I'm not exactly sure which "original Bill Cosby show" you're talking-about----cuz, any show that bore his name, wasn't on, IIRC, in that decade----if, however, you're talking about "I Spy" (of which Bill Cosby played the main character), I remember hearing people throwin' fits about that; but, interestingly, not as many fits, it seemed, as with "Julia", cuz if it wasn't bad enough (the people would say) that she was black, she was a WOMAN, and that just can't BE!! Yeah, other shows, had women; but, they were either sidekicks, or part of an ensemble (like "Mod Squad"). Again, it depended-on in what region one lived----cuz, like, even though Maryland is considered South, cuz we're south of the Mason-Dixon Line, we didn't have to put-up-with, almost ANY of that stuff; meanwhile, when I'd go down-home, there were still "Whites Only" or "Coloreds Around Back" signs, in alot of places.

Maybe it could help, if you thought of it in terms of a today's 7-11----headquarters might say to their franchises: "You have to carry bread"----but, they won't go as far as stipulating a BRAND, cuz some brands just wouldn't sell in certain areas (like, because it's predominantly black, here, I'm hard-pressed to find "white" hair-care products----for instance, a "perm" means totally different things to white and black people [black people perm their hair to straighten it; white people use perms to CURL their hair]). It's the same with TV networks / affiliates----the networks might've said, in those days, "You have to show SOMETHING, at 9pm" (or whatever time), but they wouldn't go so far as to say WHAT; cuz, the most important thing, to THEM, was to have viewers tune-in, so they can get those ad dollars.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:02 pm

At that time, Ezra, there were three TV networks in the US. Only 3.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:13 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The whole idea of the Star Trek crew from the beginning was diversity. That's why members the the primary crew were female, African, Asian, Russian, Vulcan etc.

A few jokers make a few hoax tweets and whatever and of course it's supposed to be some big bad alt-right movement threat to freak out over - which is why they do stuff like that. And I wouldn't be surprised if half of it comes from the rad-left.

Ahh... So, when "SJWs" flip out over some silly BS it is fine to generalize everyone on the left as politically correct Nazis.

BUT, when alt-right douche bags flip out over a silly TV show, it must be some kind of conspiracy and, even if it isn't, you can't generalize about people on the right because they're individuals...

I'm saying in this particular instance, it looks more like trolling than legitimate.

GoonSquad wrote:
PS

I seriously doubt that happened. It sounds more along the lines of an urban legend at best along with the ubiquitous yet virtually intangible "alt-right".

This just supports my theory that people make stuff up and others go along with it because it sounds correct to them. It's a very unscientific approach and more closely resembles religious faith belief.

That Star Trek wasn't shown in the south, sounds like something James Randy would debunk.

Last edited by EzraS on 27 May 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:15 pm

Don't burst the kid's bubble, man!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
At that time, Ezra, there were three TV networks in the US. Only 3.

Yeah, I already mentioned that a few posts back in a direct reply to you.

jrjones9933 wrote:
Don't burst the kid's bubble, man!

No, by all means burst my bubble. If you can.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'm saying in this particular instance, it looks more like trolling than legitimate.

GoonSquad wrote:
PS

I seriously doubt that happened. It sounds more along the lines of an urban legend at best along with the ubiquitous yet virtually intangible "alt-right".

This just supports my theory that people make stuff up and others go along with it because it sounds correct to them. It's a very unscientific approach and more closely resembles religious faith belief.

That Star Trek wasn't shown in the south, sounds like something James Randy would debunk.

It did happen. Do not underestimate the power of hate and racism. Besides, I first heard about this on a Star Trek documentary, so I doubt that this is an urban legend.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

But of those few?

The Flip Wilson Show, the Original Bill Cosby Show, Julia, the Mod Squad, were all 1969, or after.
The year the original Star Trek series ended its 66 to 69 run.

The only minority starring show of 66 I can think of is the Jose Jimenez Show.

What about Greg Morris in Mission Impossible? Or Bill Cosby in I Spy?

I don't think anyone is doing any actual research into this.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
It did happen. Do not underestimate the power of hate and racism. Besides, I first heard about this on a Star Trek documentary, so I doubt that this is an urban legend.

Prove it.