Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:39 am

It's still okay to say pussycat and pussywillow, but saying only the first part is not. Also it's still okay to say cocky, meaning an overconfident or arrogant person, but never remove the Y and you're in deep trouble.

Well maybe not. These days people swear all the time and no one else seems to have a problem with it, and think you're weird if you do, and say stupid things like "They're only words". :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:19 pm

I am reminded of the things George carlin said about words that have double-meanings. "pussyfooting" and "man, I dig those open-toed shoes you got on" come to mind. IMHO americans by and large, are remarkably puritanical and hypocritical about things like swearing and nudity. the rest of the civilized world picks fun of us for that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:32 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
NewTime wrote:
I was in a store and this song was playing with the line "I will go down with this s**t and I won't put my hands up and surrender. There will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love and always will be." The word "s**t" wasn't censored when they were playing it, why is this?

I was in a Walgreens and there was a song playing going "What's new p**** cat whoa?" The word "p****" was playing uncensored throughout the song.

I have never heard the first song, but it probably actually goes "go down with this ship" since that is a common saying. Misconstrued lyrics like that are called Mondegreens, btw. Regarding the second song, you have a dirty mind! *blush* :lol:

Yes. The 90's Dido hit goes "I will go down with the ship". She doesnt even sound angry (but wistful, and lovestruck) when she sings it. Not like someone dropping S-bombs. Lol!

But don't feel bad. The Muzak company(went out of business only a few years ago) that famously provided piped music to stores for decades shied away from songs with the word "funk" for that very reason (the public mistaking it for the F-bomb).

"What's New Pussycat" is a Sixties hit by Tom Jones (I think its from a Bond movie). One could claim that its double entendre, like Wilson's Pickett's plea to "Mustang Sally" to "slow your mustang down"( ie don't be a fast woman). But even then (as with the Wilson Pickett song) on the surface its an innocent word usage.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
NewTime wrote:
I was in a store and this song was playing with the line "I will go down with this s**t and I won't put my hands up and surrender. There will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love and always will be." The word "s**t" wasn't censored when they were playing it, why is this?

I was in a Walgreens and there was a song playing going "What's new p**** cat whoa?" The word "p****" was playing uncensored throughout the song.

I have never heard the first song, but it probably actually goes "go down with this ship" since that is a common saying. Misconstrued lyrics like that are called Mondegreens, btw. Regarding the second song, you have a dirty mind! *blush* :lol:

Yes. The 90's Dido hit goes "I will go down with the ship". She doesnt even sound angry (but wistful, and lovestruck) when she sings it. Not like someone dropping S-bombs. Lol!

It's actually from 2003 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Flag_(song) released September 1, 2003, so it's a 2000s hit, not a 90s hit.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:02 pm

NewTime wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
NewTime wrote:

It's actually from 2003 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Flag_(song) released September 1, 2003, so it's a 2000s hit, not a 90s hit.

Yeah. Knew it was from somewhen around the year 2000 (a couple years one side or the other).

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:11 pm

I don't see the f*****g point of censoring "bad" words. People know they're being used anyways when they're being censored.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:35 pm

^Um, the whole point for censoring foul language for certain people is because they are still so sensitive to them.

Nowadays, however, it's seems like many people don't care anymore, so they like to use them freely in "new media".

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:46 pm

Quote:
People know they're being used anyways when they're being censored.

Four-year-olds don't. And I wouldn't want any four-year-old I'm related to to use such language. And my friends and acquaintances who teach/taught kids that age would arrange to have a conversation with a child's parents if they did use such language.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:10 pm

I don't agree with censorship in music/art.....so naturally I'd take no issue with the word sh*t in a song or any other cuss word. I don't really like excessive cussing, because then its like they just couldn't come up with any lyrical content...unless of course its like a parody of music like that, then I'd probably find it funny. But yeah I hate when lyrics are edited/changed or bleeped out. I once made the mistake of buying a Motley Crue album at walmart...and of course they edited out some swear words which pissed me right off because they were part of the song.

That said the song you're talking about says I will go down with this ship, not sh*t
http://www.metrolyrics.com/white-flag-lyrics-dido.html, and p*ssy followed by cat isn't even a bad word.

Also though there is plenty of music played in stores that I don't like...and I just have to grit my teeth and deal with it till I leave the store no matter how much I hate it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 4:47 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
^Um, the whole point for censoring foul language for certain people is because they are still so sensitive to them.

Nowadays, however, it's seems like many people don't care anymore, so they like to use them freely in "new media".

People f*****g swear. Don't like it? Too bad. It's the world we live in. And like I said, whenever they censor things it's usually pretty obvious what's being said anyway, so that makes it pointless. Worse, it can actually make swearing more obvious.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 4:59 pm

it gives the anti-swear brigades a feeling of faux power.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 6:05 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

People f*****g swear. Don't like it? Too bad. It's the world we live in. And like I said, whenever they censor things it's usually pretty obvious what's being said anyway, so that makes it pointless. Worse, it can actually make swearing more obvious.

Are you always that rude? -_-

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 6:16 pm

in the bad old days of American tv, in the 40s and 50s, not only could you not even say "helicopter" or "Hoover dam" but the standards and practices dep't. censors even censored tone of voice and facial expression, as the bible belt types thought/think that even mere non-verbal expressions of negative emotions were impiously profane. to show how good an actor the late james arness was, the NBC network censors cut a scene in "Gunsmoke" where he viciously scowled. too profane, they said. mustn't upset the bible belt. :shameonyou: and the censors on the same prudish network cut one of Jack Paar's watercloset jokes. :o

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 6:36 pm

Couldn't report on breast cancer, and certainly not penis cancer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 6:43 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Couldn't report on breast cancer, and certainly not penis cancer.

as late as 1968, johnny carson had censor trouble on NBC when he mentioned the word "penis" at 11:30PM during his monologue. wags back in the day said that NBC stood for "Nothing But Censors." Oprah's sponsor's censors wouldn't let her say "vagina"- she had to say "va-jay-jay" like a little kid, instead, this was just a few years ago! americans are so puritanical!

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 7:04 pm

Well, the words 'penis' and 'vagina' are certainly NOT vulgar words, but still....

Anyway, if nobody wants to say vulgarities, then they don't have to. Just thought I'd like to say that, that's all. :|