Page 1 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

TheWalrys435
Raven
Raven

25 May 2017, 10:20 pm

do you ever think about this subject? Provided there is an afterlife and we can make it into heaven with all the NTs, do you think we will still be oddities to them? I realize it's kind of a stupid question, but really, an eternity of having to feel like a social outcast sounds more like h3ll.

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2017, 11:17 pm

Only if there is a God.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:32 am

TheWalrys435 wrote:
do you ever think about this subject? Provided there is an afterlife and we can make it into heaven with all the NTs, do you think we will still be oddities to them? I realize it's kind of a stupid question, but really, an eternity of having to feel like a social outcast sounds more like h3ll.

I'm not good at quoting exact book / chapter / verse, but somewhere in the Bible (I think, in at least one place, it is in the book of Revelation), it is said that there will be no sadness, crying, pain, etc., and that all former things are passed-away----so, I take that to include that there will be no bullying, social outcasts, etc.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:04 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
...somewhere in the Bible...it is said there will be no sadness, crying, pain, etc., and that all former things are passed-away----so, I take that to include that there will be no bullying, social outcasts, etc.

Yes, and then also this: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." --I Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)

I take that to mean we will have complete-and-accurate understandings of ourselves.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:06 am

No, no, of course not. Everyone will be the same. We will all become idiots happily staring at God, filled with adoration and unable to think about anything else. Calmness and happiness forever. And it won't be even boring because feelings of boredom don't exist there. Apparently.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:29 am

Kiriae wrote:
We will all become idiots happily staring at God...

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." --Proverbs 17:28 (KJV)

Or in the cases of some: "It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." --Maurice Switzer

Kiriae wrote:
... Calmness and happiness forever. And it won't be even boring because feelings of boredom don't exist there. Apparently.

It is actually more like "there" will actually be "here" on a new earth where there will still be plenty to do! The idea of sitting on a cloud eating grapes while someone plays the harp is the fairy-tale stuff.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:06 am

leejosepho wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
...somewhere in the Bible...it is said there will be no sadness, crying, pain, etc., and that all former things are passed-away----so, I take that to include that there will be no bullying, social outcasts, etc.

Yes, and then also this: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." --I Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)

I take that to mean we will have complete-and-accurate understandings of ourselves.

Oh, that's interesting----I never thought-of that----COOL!!

I always took that verse to mean that we would recognize our kin, in Heaven.....

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:15 am

Here is my all-time favorite, Campin_Cat:

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." --Revelation 2:17 (KJV)

Kind of like I have yet to even know my own name until my piece of the rock comes along.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:18 am

leejosepho wrote:
"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." -- Maurice Switzer

Another one of my favorites----and, one I try to live-by----is: "He who feels the need to speak, to prove his intelligence, will also prove his ignorance" (Confucius).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:32 am

leejosepho wrote:
Here is my all-time favorite, Campin_Cat:

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." --Revelation 2:17 (KJV)

Kind of like I have yet to even know my own name until my piece of the rock comes along.

Yeah, I really like that verse, as well----cuz, to me, it reinforces that there are better things, to come.

Also, another way I've thought-of it, is that our purpose (as opposed to name), is not yet known----which is also helpful, IMO, because it helps to sustain our faith in that all will be answered / known / revealed / etc.

I don't think I could pick a favorite verse----though, I have favorite books (Daniel/Old; Matthew/New)----but, the one of which I keep reminding myself, lately, is: "God helps those, that help themselves", cuz I seriously need a proper job; and, I have found that when I put-in the work to find one, God helps me out.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:52 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I don't think I could pick a favorite verse----though, I have favorite books (Daniel/Old; Matthew/New)----but, the one of which I keep reminding myself, lately, is: "God helps those, that help themselves", cuz I seriously need a proper job; and, I have found that when I put-in the work to find one, God helps me out.

Action is certainly required such as moving on down the path where blessing await, but nowhere in Scripture can you find anything even close to "God helps those that help themselves." ;)

TheWalrys435
Raven
Raven

26 May 2017, 6:19 pm

Glad to have started this discussion. Great convo you guys are having! :wink:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 7:00 pm

TheWalrys435 wrote:

Yes, and many thanks to you for getting it rolling!

TheWalrys435 wrote:
...an eternity of having to feel like a social outcast sounds more like h3ll.

"Love your neighbor (exactly the same and certainly just as much) as you love yourself" (Mark 12:31) would make that kind of thing impossible even here-and-now on earth, so I am quite certain there will be no such thing later when/where everyone present is living in perfect fellowship with each other as well as our Maker. I sometimes wonder what memories and/or thoughts might go through our minds as we meet people we might not have expected to see there, but I would guess the smiles at each other and possibly a chuckle or two over our past foolishness along those kinds of lines will be completely dominant. Anything less could only lead to some kind of sorrow or sadness...and as Campin_Cat has shared, there will be none of that anywhere.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 7:32 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

Action is certainly required such as moving on down the path where blessing await, but nowhere in Scripture can you find anything even close to "God helps those that help themselves." ;)

Ach, I know----you're right----I've really gotta work harder to break the habit of continuing to present that quote like it's a quote from the Bible, as it has been attributed to everybody from the ancient Greeks, to Aesop, to Benjamin Franklin----but, though it's not a good excuse, old habits are hard to break, and I've been cherishing living-by that saying coming from the Bible for longer than I have known that it DIDN'T come-from the Bible.

I think I'm safe in continuing to cherish alot of the other ones, that truly DO come-from the Bible, regarding not working----like, the one about folding one's hands to rest, will bring poverty on you; desires of the diligent are fully satisfied; idle hands are the Devil's workshop; anyone who doesn't provide for their household, is worse than an un-believer; and, as you know, there's SOOOOO many more. (I love, Love, LOVE the book of Proverbs----I put the verses there, right up there with rules, and I like rules, cuz they let me know exactly what I'm suppose to do.)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 7:43 pm

leejosepho wrote:
TheWalrys435 wrote:

Yes, and many thanks to you for getting it rolling!

Me, TOO----THANKS, I mean!!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 8:13 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I think I'm safe in continuing to cherish a lot of the other ones, that truly DO come-from the Bible, regarding not working----like, the one about folding one's hands to rest, will bring poverty on you; desires of the diligent are fully satisfied; idle hands are the Devil's workshop; anyone who doesn't provide for their household, is worse than an un-believer; and, as you know, there's SOOOOO many more. (I love, Love, LOVE the book of Proverbs----I put the verses there, right up there with rules, and I like rules, cuz they let me know exactly what I'm suppose to do.)

Yes, and Deuteronomy 12:28 reinforces all of that: "Observe and hear all these words which I command thee, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee for ever..."

It seems we cannot lay idle in seclusion and reasonably expect hot dogs to be squeezed in through keyholes...but then here is my favorite mis-quote caused by simply dropping a "but" and moving a semi-colon:

"Let him who stole steal; no more let him labor, working with his hands..." --mis-quote of Ephesians 4:28

I long ago heard that from a released felon who had decided to change his ways and had joined our construction crew!