Page 6 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:06 pm

I don't believe in an afterlife, but if it does exists, comparatively, it will be weird thus we'll be normal.

'When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.' Hunter S. Thompson.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Will we be weird in the afterlife?

If there is an afterlife, then I can only hope I will still be me. If that means weird, then yes I'd like to remain weird.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:17 pm

I tend to have the opposite reaction these days to some extent.

I was driving to work today, thinking of all the terrible situations humanity has been in, our current disregard for truth (AFAIK - if we're lucky - truth might come in fifth on our priority lists as a species). It seems like estrogen somehow puts women more toward the center of the bell-curve, men is where 'God plays dice' and you have the brightest, the dumbest, the most creative, the least creative, etc.. of our species.

I had to ask myself - does it seem like there's any evidence, whatsoever, for a reincarnational 'Great Work' or evolution of species along lines of spiritual achievement? It struck me that these deviations in gender performance are chemical, genetic, and constant. If this were any sort of young souls. old souls you should really see both men and women in a pyramidal arrangement or at least something close to resembling a school room of spiritual IQ. What we have is something much more arbitrary, much more naturalistic, and it looks much more clement to the beliefs of someone who'd look at the world and sentient life as something that just happened, that justice and injustice alike are just accidents, and where your life outcomes have, above a really easy-to-clear line of stupidity, almost nothing to do with who you are as a person and everything to do with the genetics you were given.

To that end I'm actually flabbergasted that kundalini events are a real thing. I'm flabbergasted as to where a world of spiritual beings fits in. The only conclusion I can come to is that they're just as naturalistic and denuded of so-called divine purpose as we are. For what bit I've gained in the way of more valid development paths than just money and children and the different means to get there (ie. tack in sentient/'spiritual' evolution as something that has subjective value) - I'm still really trying to throw out any last vestiges of Abrahamism in me, aside from perhaps appreciating the philosophic Neoplatonism in it, but for the life of me - this planet is a bunch of apes cornholing each other. It absolutely astounds me that there should be anything at all aside from half an eternal non-existence before birth and half an eternal non-existence after death. From what we are and how much of an utter waste humanity, and really organic life in general is, the idea of eternal existence or reincarnation still floors me. I guess it means that if a person dies shagging an ant hill, living for the glory of tribe or grandiloquence or whatever else, they can come right back and maybe even make the same mistakes more effectively!

Also while I'd love to think there's peace for those who try to do better - I'm not necessarily sold that there's any reason it should be that way. I suppose I can't not look at a world where wasps lay larvae inside of caterpillars for the Aliens experience or where over a hundred million are killed in the most graphic manner in a century with next to nothing learned, and think that it doesn't tell us at least something about absolute reality and its likely utter incapacity for any conscious sense of justice, decrease or suffering, or whatever else.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:21 pm

Also yes - sorry, I had a few drinks. That went WAY longer than five sentences and yes, because of that I know I wrote that purely for my own reading pleasure.

Something to help make you all forget about that big cruel wall-text you just saw. :P

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:26 pm

...Hey, LeeJ , send me (I can't make a PM with this phone) a PM with a USPS address so that I may pay you back , please :-) .

Yes, and maybe kind of like why even bother trying to live properly now if there is no chance of ever hearing something like "Well done, thou good and faithwith a lUSPSaddful s a PM with this phone)ervant!"[/quoess soote] I may.may pay you bpackyou bpack

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:43 pm

as long as there are lessons to be learned, and people needing to learn lessons, there will be difficulty.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
as long as there are lessons to be learned, and people needing to learn lessons, there will be difficulty.

I'm really starting to wonder if about all we can hope for is some type of benevolent AI dictatorship - ie. something to force our hand in not making permutations of the same mistakes forever. As far as I can tell we're too messed up go to govern ourselves until things get so bad for so long that aiming for the relative ease (that we're currently bored of) and even being willing to lay down one's life for it comes back in style. The rise and fall of civilizations and each civilization's inability to survive the detrimental effects of prosperity is as insidious and nasty as a read of the biblical book of Judges.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

until the last soul grinds down his/her karmic wheel to dust, there is more work to be done, more incarnations or guardian angel work to sweat. history may not exactly repeat itself, but it surely rhymes, and there's a reason for that. it is important that these lessons continue until every soul learns what is needed.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 10:28 pm

Outside of the few odd cases where someone knowingly and deliberately does wrong I'm not even sure I understand the concept of karma anymore, nor do I see any particular traits in people who are so-called psychics or natural astral projectors that tells me they're any more evolved than anyone else. That seems to be the rub - ie. on all terrestrial fronts this stuff seems to have next to nothing for correlation with personal depth, insight, or integrity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 10:32 pm

danion brinkly said that when god chose him, god scraped the bottom of the barrel. but that goes to show it doesn't matter which human has the gifts, it is the gifts that matter and not the human, the human is just the vehicle to carry the gifts.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 10:59 pm

I don't know what to make of Danion.

What I do know - Jacob Boehme said one thing, Emmanuel Swedenborg said another, Martinez De Pasqualle said another, Louis-Claude De Saint-Martin said another, Fabre D' Olivet said another, Saint-Yves d'Alveydre said another, Rudolph Steiner said another, Max Hiendel said another, Madame Blavatsky said another, AP Sinnett said another, Alice Bailey said another, Dion Fortune said another, Aleister Crowley said another, Franz Bardon said something slightly different, Robert Bruce says something slightly different, and about the closest I see in good current correlation are guys like Nick Farrell, John Michael Greer, and perhaps my favorite and perhaps most pragmatic of the current writers and practitioners of these things - Mark Stavish. It seems like congruity has come with saturation and there's something that doesn't quite sit with this being just one narrative.

I still have to debate whether anything I see in a vivid inner vision is objectively real. I do believe, without any hesitation, that it's interior regurgitation of some type but it's tough to place it - ie. whether it's something from my reptilian or mammal brain, when I do see something with my eyes closed how much correlation it has to what kind of reality, etc.. I've had to come to accept that if I'm in a social situation and feel a presence brush with me that it's other people around me reacting to something I'm doing or did - even if they aren't directly seeing me, ie. there's some kind of subconscious filament that interacts with other people and spreads beyond the human body. Past that - dream visions can seem to deliver a plot but I'm still awaiting any concrete evidence that there anything other than my deeper mind attempting do voice its deepest desires.

As far as people having near death experiences - ie. seeing bardo (as Manly P Hall often chose the terminology) and which I think he quite fittingly described in Lectures on Ancient Philosophy as a mindless shifting back and forth between light and dark but really both in darkness and not going much of anywhere - or children having vivid past-life memories, yes I think there's evidence for that.

The challenge I'd have to give to someone like Danion Brinkley who'd assert that there's any kind of personal God that isn't us seeing a reflection of ourselves in the inner mirror - tell us something we don't know. I think the same could be said for any of the more dogmatic NDE experiencers who say yes, there's a personal God. from what I've seen that personal God tells us either things we already knew but couldn't do much with due to the realities of our lives or, on the flip, a person says that they beheld the truth of the whole universe, like Dostoevsky having a seizure halo, and when they came back they couldn't remember any of it.

Even if this is just the action of Aldus Huxley's reducing valve giving us the stingy drip of reality - just enough not to be eaten by predatory cats, bears, etc.. or walk into the spear-tip of an enemy, it says some very confusing things about the reality of a person God that can or will tell us much of anything that we don't know. While I appreciate the reports that people come back from NDE's with vastly changed perspectives, much improved health, and even enhanced degrees of psychic activity it seems like God is just as dubious and muddy a character as It was before their NDE and none of the explanations of what's happening by NDE'rs are particularly satisfying. I think my last brush with this, ie. reading Michael Newton as a prerequisite for a course, was particularly jarring in this regard because the idea seemed to be that heaven itself causes a lot of the forms of suffering that are here because people 'wanted' such experiences for spiritual growth. It makes me deeply question what moral obligations spiritual entities as such have for human beings, for example if we're souls possessing and puppeting animals are we in fact torturing animals for our own learning pleasure and our own psychodramas? Something seems more than a little twisted and questionable with that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 11:28 pm

in previous lifetimes I was both male and female, rich and poor, white and dark-skinned. but [with the exception of the last lifetime] was not at all a good human being. I hope I have learned something before it's too late.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 11:35 pm

I don't think we do ourselves many favors with set and setting, for what's out there I'm not really sure we can either. If it's five steps forward it'll be four steps back, something of a mashup of our learning and opportunities taken on one hand and on the other the perversions of our environments (both voluntary and obligatory) taking us in the opposite direction.

While I consider that, overall, I've been a good person and tried to stay as learning-focused as I could I've also seen where this is mostly happenstance of luck. Born someone else, somewhere else with different nurture and nature, things would have been very different. Still not sure what to make of that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 11:53 pm

mebbe take of it that each lifetime is a different curriculum with different tests. it's all earth school.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 2:46 pm

That goes right back full circle to the Great Work.

I was just watching this interview on Vice and I think it's a really good reminder that if human beings have an utter disregard for truth we may inherit that from the larger conscious system. This is someone who has many past-life memories, talks to spirits all day, and rather than solving any problems on earth she's completely full of BS. On one hand I don't mind her cashing in on how strange she looks, it's a hard/competitive world and if you have an angle you might as well use it. On the other I think her lack of ability to do much of anything substantive with her 'gifts' seems to show that most of what she's apparently in contact with is largely useless. I won't say that I haven't met and talked to quite a few people who haven't used this stuff to become better, sharper, etc.. - in the west a lot of the modern occultists have had that sort of Masonic self-development aim in their work.

Either way meet Valeria Lukyanova - most well-known as the Ukrainian Barbie and also perhaps another G. I. Gurdjieff in the making:

TheWalrys435
Raven
Raven

10 Jun 2017, 3:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
in previous lifetimes I was both male and female, rich and poor, white and dark-skinned. but [with the exception of the last lifetime] was not at all a good human being. I hope I have learned something before it's too late.

I feel like that often, like I must have been a really junk person in my last life. This one feels designed to force the lesson of humility on me.