Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:26 am

An 10 years anniversary of graduation reunion for my high-school class is coming soon.
I think I will be going - I kinda liked that class and it should be fun.
But I am worried how much I should share.

They surely are going to ask questions such as "Where do you work?", "Do you have a husband?", "Are you still living with parents?" etc.

What am I supposed to answer?

I am on SSI(and looking for a part time job), never been in real relationship and never left my parents house, even for university. Should I tell them I was diagnosed with Asperger?
I think the meting could be a chance for me - they are have jobs and are living in different cities, some abroad so they might open a "door" for me (with jobs or flats). I might also get another person to hand out with on regular basis.

But I am embarrassed and I am not sure if its ok to share my problems. Maybe I should wear a mask of "everything is fine" and say I am "currently looking for a job", "still waiting for my 2nd part of apple" and "saving money" therefore cutting my chance? Sure, they might want to help when they hear I am looking for a job but then they will ask me "What kind of job I want to do" and won't understand why I don't want to deal with people(I am not confident in my social skills), hold responsible tasks (executive functioning issue), travel 100kms everyday (public transportation tires me out) and work full time (delayed sleep phase syndrome prevents me from working 7-15).

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:49 pm

tell them whatever you feel comfortable with. if you do not want to tell them, tell them you do not want to talk about it.

i am 34 years old. did not go to my high school reunion or anything like that. not in contact with anyone from high school. barely in contact with anyone from college.

one thing is that i am ashamed that i have only had idiot menial labor, minimum wage jobs. Cashier, actor, recordkeeping assistant, burger flipper. and plenty of them fired me.

likewise, ain't got no spouse. never dated nobody. and feel like i passed my prime (physically, mentally, emotionally) a long time ago. for a long time, i have been rapidly getting physically weaker, mentally slower, emotionally more fragile, socially more awkward, and et cetera. in many ways, i am getting worse. and i was never that great before. in any way.

the other thing, is gender identity disorder.

likewise, whatever. i mean, in high school did not have many friends anyways. and it was really awkward in high school. b/c it was legally mandated to go to high school. like juvenile hall.

good thing high school is over.

unless someone physically forces me to go, under extortion; or unless someone bribes me to go, by paying me minimum wage, ain't going back to school. if it's a school even involving precious lil "people" that used to go there.

if you do not want to go to the reunion, then do not go.

do not let someone peer pressure you into going. there ain't no law that says you have to go.

cost benefit analysis

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:40 pm

I skipped mine without a second thought.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:30 am

The thing is I want to go there. I am pretty excited to see how all the people changed and how they are doing right now. The more I think about it the more I want to go.

As I say I liked that class. I wish I could return to high school. We only had 17 people in class, we were the only class in our grade and bullying wasn't allowed in our school. It was totally different to elementary and middle schools I attended before - with 5-6 classes of 30 students each a grade and lots of bullying because teachers didn't care. If it was middle school reunion I probably wouldn't go. But I want to see my high school class again.

MickeyT2008
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2017, 9:25 pm

I was apprehensive about going to my school reunion too but I'm glad I went and I really enjoyed myself. I didn't want to go really but I knew that if I didn't I'd always wonder how it'd have turned out, and if I wasn't enjoying it I could have left whenever I wanted anyway.

The hangover wasn't as enjoyable but it was well worth it. I didn't really recognise anyone at first though, having not seen most of them for thirty years as I left my home town when I was 20