Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

26 May 2017, 8:12 am

For everyone here who lives in an apartment by themselves (or in a trailer, or subsidized housing which is what i'll be looking for once i get SSI)

How much is your electricity bill? Mine has always been 33-36$ (i live by myself in a one bedroom apartment that my parents are currently paying for.) Besides rent, that's the only utility they also have to pay for too.
Also, what state do you live in? I just want to know because i want to check if the electric price is higher in other states.

But i'm just wondering, is it different for anyone else? and how much is yours?
What i'll be living in is a one-bedroom subsidized apartment (i know the waiting list for those are long, but i'm sure if i put myself on EVERY low-income waiting list within the selected areas, i'd find a suitable place in less than 4 years)

ALSO: For those of you who can't read the text on the map..
The RED areas, are the places I want to live the most.
The PINK areas, are my second choices, just in case I can't find a good enough place to live in the red.
The BLUE areas are my last choices (only because the cold weather)
And the YELLOW areas (Wisconsin) is the place I want to leave forever and never come back to.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 2:14 am

I live in lower Northern California. I live alone in an older one-bedroom subsidized apartment with no central heating. Before this, I lived alone in a newer two-bedroom subsidized apartment that did have central heating.

The previous apartment's electricity bill was usually $10–$20 per month, even in winter. I had a computer on all day and did not use lights very much at night.

Because I had to heat my current apartment with a space heater (and sometimes the oven), the electricity bill was $50–$100 per month. Now that winter is over and I rarely use the space heater (but do use the air conditioner for a few hours per week), the bill has been $10–$20 per month for the past two months.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 8:33 am

interesting. I've asked about this in other places too and im getting prices from all over, from $10 to $170
just curious, was your apartment subsidized?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 2:19 pm

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
just curious, was your apartment subsidized?

Yes.

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2017, 2:25 pm

Living in a San Francisco studio, subsidized housing (doesn't cover electric bill). Amount is $30-$50 per month.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 3:00 pm

Lockeye wrote:
Living in a San Francisco studio, subsidized housing (doesn't cover electric bill). Amount is $30-$50 per month.

ah ok. and yeah, i dont think san fransico has to deal with the extreme heat at all like florida does. i know air conditioning jacks up the electric price a lot. maybe there's some strategy i can use to save money on electricity during the summer months.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 9:49 pm

$40 to $100,sometimes I use a space heater to warm the bathroom area before bathing in winter and there is a wall heater (Envi) in the reptile room.So when it warms up enough to not need extra heat for the lizards,and before it's too hot for AC,I average around $40.In the summer around July to early Sept I run the AC in the daytime from around noon till dark.Then I open the windows and use fans for cooling.Then in the morning I close the windows and drop the curtains and blinds to trap the cool air and keep the sun from shining in the windows and warming the house up.The giant shade tree really helps and the kitchen and living rooms have high ceilings which help with cooling.
Its a full size three bedroom house,all electric except for wood heat.My bill is lower than most people with full size homes in this area.One relative with central heat and air has around a $200 to $300 bill for a three bedroom.Usually it's around $80 in the summer,but one year it stayed in the 100's for months and didn't cool down at night, so the AC ran 24/7 resulting in a $100 bill.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 1:37 am

I live in Wisconsin, and the electric bill ranges from 80-140. If you stay away from gas furnace heating it is so much cheaper. :D

Furme
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jun 2017, 1:03 pm

My Dr. told me that our energy provider provides a discount because of disability that requires use of Air Conditioning or Heat throughout the year. You should look into this to see if it is available. Fortunately, my husband and I installed solar which is now helping a lot. I will admit, our electric bill was much, much higher that $30

Incendax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2017, 2:48 pm

Large studio apartment. Sometimes use a space heater.
$60-$90 depending on the season.

namesalltaken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2017, 6:51 pm

40 to 55 Australian dollars per month. Electricity supply is relatively expensive, 35 of those dollars are just the service charges (i.e. you pay them even if using no electricity).

Usage is between 2 and 3 kilowatt hours per day, the odd day reaches 6 (with heating, a load of washing, oven, vacuuming etc), or 4kwh if running heavy computation on the desktop. If I didn't currently reside in an apartment, I could offset all my usage with a 1 to 1.5kw solar array.

If the price is a factor in where you move, mine your bills for usage information (compare summer, winter, or if you're fortunate the utility will give daily usage figures), then find the rates of the utility where you want to move, and estimate the costs.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 8:32 pm

$500

...and no, I'm not kidding.

...and no, I'm not growing any plants either.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 4:57 am

I live in a large energy efficient rental apartment (special windows, insulated and low energy fridge/freezer) and my bill should be very low, but my computer keeps running every waking moment so... around $30-35 every month.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 7:44 am

When I lived in a state that had mild, short winters and was hot and humid the rest of the year, my electricity bill could range from about $30 per month to $80 or more. $80 in the summer when temperatures were anything up to 100 degrees and you run your air conditioner pretty much constantly.

But this was several years ago -- prices could be higher now. And if you live in a place that's cold and your heating is electricity based, your winter bill will be the costly one, and summer bill low.

I now live in a country that's cold more of the time, and my electricity bill is now sky high all the time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 11:10 pm

I live in a house and the bill is over $200. When we lived in the apartment, ours would be anywhere from $70 to over a $100 if we used heat or AC. Without it, it would be under $100.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 12:47 pm

This months was $66.00.Not bad at all since the reptile room is heated 24/7 with a wall mount Envi heater and I purchased a small very efficient window AC for the living room.Its also much quieter than the old unit,a big plus.