Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:35 pm

Just wondering, why WON'T World War 3 happen anytime soon? Because N. Korea is now conducting ICBM missile tests that can strike with little warning. I always had a lump in my throat and crying a little bit about this. Also, people I know who talk to have their heads in the sand. They don't understand how much I want to survive or how scary and big of a deal a scenario would be.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:40 pm

NK won't start a world war.

If they ever step out of line you will see a dog-pile fall upon them.
They are an excuse to use up old stock and show off what they have for sale, and everyone hates NK, so it's good press as the big boys destroy them and kill their people.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:49 pm

My point is that an ICBM missile can be capable of hitting US territory. Why does everyone think they know what they are talking about. I PRAY that the world will not end by this.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:53 pm

It's outwith your control.

We've had nukes since the 40s, our generation and those that follow have to work on removing them, we can't live in fear of them.

I live within 30 miles of the base for the Nuclear subs, I'm gone in the first strike, dust.
I don't believe anyone who has the power to start WW3 would be stupid enough to do it.

Maybe Trump, he's really dumb.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 8:21 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
My point is that an ICBM missile can be capable of hitting US territory. Why does everyone think they know what they are talking about. I PRAY that the world will not end by this.

Yep. This memorial day weekend.

Right in the middle of that family BBQ you're going to be at, just when they place the hot dog on your paper plate the ICBM will hit. There will be a flash of light. And you will be snuffed out like a Lucky.

Deal with it.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:49 pm

What?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:12 pm

Think about it.

So Mr Un manages to build a single operational ICBM that can cross the wide Pacific to hit us.

He manages to deliver a single Hiroshima type bomb on the US. The Hiroshima bomb killed the same number of people as die on US highways every two, or three years. So the odds of you being one of the American who dies in the Nork nuke is about the same as the odds that you would not have already survived riding on America's highways in last three years.

Meanwhile the US would retaliate- and nuke North Korea a 100 times over, and incinerate 100 percent of the population of Un's whole nation several times over.

Because Mr. Un knows that that's what would happen he knows that he has nothing to gain, and has everything to loose by launching an ICBM against us. So if he has nothing to gain he probably wont do it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:04 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Just wondering, why WON'T World War 3 happen anytime soon? Because N. Korea is now conducting ICBM missile tests that can strike with little warning. I always had a lump in my throat and crying a little bit about this. Also, people I know who talk to have their heads in the sand. They don't understand how much I want to survive or how scary and big of a deal a scenario would be.

If you go anywhere by car, you have ten thousand times of a better chance of getting killed on the road then you do in a nuclear holocaust.

And one nuclear missile launched by North Korea isn't going to equal a nuclear holocaust. It would only wipe out a few miles of wherever it hit.

Also a world war is supposed to be when several major countries are at war with each other. Not when some tiny little country is threatening a superpower nation, with nobody to back them up. Even China is warning NK to cool it. The only country in danger of swift total annihilation is North Korea.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:08 am

Soooo ... The fact that this world war prediction was flat out wrong and nothing started on the 13th May hasn't lessened your ongoing anxiety about this topic? You might want to start looking at what is behind this anxiety in you, instead of outward looking for aspects of the state of the nations that justify the likelihood and therefore, justify being worked up about it.
I honestly don't think anyone could get themselves organised enough to mount warfare anymore. If you look at the world wars, it was a massive undertaking involving several countries that required extreme levels of cooperation (whether for good or ill) and organisation. Dissension could have easily undermined their efforts and likely, would undermine anyone else nowadays.
Yes a bomb could drop. A plague could start. A solar flare or radiation wind / gamma burst could cook us all to death. That's life. Uncertain safety is what being alive in the world involves. Perhaps the people around you don't have their heads in the sand so much as they acknowledge and accept this ambivalence. Stressing about wars starting accomplishes nothing. If you're interested in making what difference you can, perhaps you could look into ways to actively contribute to peace processes?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 9:21 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Think about it.

So Mr Un manages to build a single operational ICBM that can cross the wide Pacific to hit us.

He manages to deliver a single Hiroshima type bomb on the US. The Hiroshima bomb killed the same number of people as die on US highways every two, or three years. So the odds of you being one of the American who dies in the Nork nuke is about the same as the odds that you would not have already survived riding on America's highways in last three years.

Meanwhile the US would retaliate- and nuke North Korea a 100 times over, and incinerate 100 percent of the population of Un's whole nation several times over.

Because Mr. Un knows that that's what would happen he knows that he has nothing to gain, and has everything to loose by launching an ICBM against us. So if he has nothing to gain he probably wont do it.

Heh. Sounds like the prelude for a Southland Tales 2.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 9:52 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Think about it.

Heh. Sounds like the prelude for a Southland Tales 2.

Never even heard of "Southland Tales One". Much less "two". Don't know what you're getting at.

I was just stating the obvious. The obvious being that the Norks have nothing to gain by a shooting a nuke at us.

Just now wikied it. The comedy thriller starring the Rock, and the girl who played "Buffy". Looks entertaining, do remember hearing about it, but I never saw it. Yeah- kinda see what your saying. Two small Texas cities in the US get nuked just before the story starts. By terrorists apparently, not by a country like North Korea. So the govt imposes something like martial law.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 1:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Think about it.

This MIGHT not be a Hiroshima bomb.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:41 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Think about it.

The Norks can make fission bombs. I am not aware of them advancing to being able to make fusion bombs (ie H-bombs).

So they would essentially be comparable to Hiroshima bombs. And not the more powerful H bombs. Though they might use dirty bombs. which do more lasting damage. But why would they do that? Their own country would get nuked in retaliation.

This MIGHT not be a Hiroshima bomb.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:08 pm

Then, what is your point?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 5:35 pm

I wrote a whole paragraph, but it vanished for some reason.

Kim Un only has fission bombs, and not fusion bombs. So anything he has will be comparable to Hiroshima (14 kilotons), and not to the average nuke in either the US arsenal, or the Russian arsenals. Which are half a megaton, to a megaton.

But even if he did have an H bomb it. Doesn't change my point. So he sends one bomb across the pacific. Then we retaliate and wipe out his whole country. So he doesn't gain anything by nuking us. So why would he nuke us?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 5:57 pm

NK may have EVERYTHING to lose, but if Kim does send a nuke across the pacific anyway, the US will still have SOME things to lose and pay for.