Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2017, 10:40 pm

I've seen a bit of pole-dancing, in movies and such, and I'm always impressed by the grace and strength these women display. And, I've decided I'd like to get into it myself. I hear it's an amazing cardio workout, and develops the upper body. So... For starters, does anyone have a pole in their home and would like to recommend a brand to me?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2017, 8:12 pm

I have no experience with this besides watching it but do your research before getting a pole & make sure it's strong & well mounted. I seen lots of vids where the poles break or fall down. Don't forget to wear a sexy outfit(or no outfit) & do a routine for your boyfriend or girlfriend if/when you have one.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 12:06 pm

^^haha! i've seen a lot of fail videos of people falling on incorrectly mounted poles too.

i've been considering pole dancing for workout purposes and because it looks super fun.
also, aerial hammock dancing. check it out :D

and that fabric seems so nice!

my tiny house doesn't have a practical place to install a pole or hammock rig but i do know there is a dance studio in my town that hosts pole dancing and "aerial yoga" type classes. you could look to see if there is anything offered in your area. if there is, it might be good to try it out there before investing in a home pole. it might also be a good way to get brand and installation recommendations.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2017, 4:56 pm

seaweed wrote:
you could look to see if there is anything offered in your area. if there is, it might be good to try it out there before investing in a home pole. it might also be a good way to get brand and installation recommendations.

Yeah, I definitely wanna do my research before dropping the cash on a home pole kit. They can be pretty pricy, around $300 for a decent one.

I don't think there are any classes in my area. One time I went to a strip club to ask the dancers if they know of any teachers, but they all told me they were self-taught through youtube tutorials and such. :(

But I'm probably gonna be moving soon, so hopefully I'll be able to find a dance class.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 9:13 pm

yeah i wouldn't bet on strip clubs. the art/sport of pole dancing isn't so accessible and monetarily gratifying and strippers aren't really taught to use the pole to their advantage, at least from what i've heard. i don't want to strip myself, but a friend who has done quite a bit of stripping told me that they barely even use the pole in the "high end" city strip clubs. its more about social (sexy) service. i'd imagine they are not held to more acrobatic standards at "low end" strip clubs either.

i might be too shy, but i love burlesque. put on a crazy fun show and reveal as much or as little as you choose. its tasteful and sexy, and i do think it can be an art form.

300$ is not too bad if you can save up for it.. also, idk where you're moving to, but it could be useful to look into local welding by commission shops or freelancers. i'd make and install a stainless steel pole for about that much (poles are super easy to make lol). and i'd make it sturdy enough to handle way more weight than you could manage to impose onto it, and work with you on the best place to install it in your house/hardware and whatever alterations needed to make it physically stable.

unless you're moving to my town i can't really help you, but only make more suggestions! i know you can work it out! and also feel free to pm me if you have any install questions in the future. i have a lot of experience fabricating and installing specialized playground equipment :)

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 10:42 am

I've done pole dancing for a few months. I really enjoyed it and it made me develop a lot of strength in the upper part of my body. I would like to continue in the future. For now, I am pretty broke and cannot afford classes anymore. I also would like to get a pole at home but, as others here said, that is also expensive.

Because of non-verbal learning challenges, I found it hard to follow along in class sometimes at the same pace as others, which is part of why I would rather have my own equipment and do more at home.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

MissxVenomxPoison
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2017, 5:47 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
I've seen a bit of pole-dancing, in movies and such, and I'm always impressed by the grace and strength these women display. And, I've decided I'd like to get into it myself. I hear it's an amazing cardio workout, and develops the upper body. So... For starters, does anyone have a pole in their home and would like to recommend a brand to me?

Damn rights I've been considering it :P