Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lgm23
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2017, 11:04 pm

Hi all, I was wondering if it is typical of Asperger's to have a very high verbal IQ and an average to low verbal IQ. My verbal IQ is 151 and my performance IQ was tested as 85. The dr said that because of the wide discrepancy in scores, a full-scale IQ would not be valid. I am also diagnosed with ADHD so I am wondering if this is because of my Asperger's, ADHD or something else.

Diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:29 am

That's pretty much how it is with me.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:52 am

A lot of times with autism, the verbal IQ and performance IQ vary quite a bit.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 2:58 am

My Performance IQ was always in the average range and my verbal IQ would be in the ret*d range so I always scored in the mildly ret*d range until 5th grade. Then they were all close together so it was pretty consistent now. My verbal IQ was at 92 and my Performance was at 107 or 108 and my overall IQ was scored at 99. That is all in the average range. They said my inconsistent IQ scores were due to my profound language delay so it made me score low on the test. Then as my language improved, my IQ scores improved. My full scale IQ also was not accurate.

Children with communication disorders will also get inaccurate IQ results and so will kids with NVLD and kids who are illiterate.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 9:16 am

My verbal IQ is high (130s-140s). I don't know my performance IQ, but I believe it is far lower. I am terrible at those block design tests.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2017, 4:37 pm

I'm interested in seeing what mine are,are there any tests for these that are accurate?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 5:05 pm

I was never told my Performance IQ vs Verbal IQ. My IQ was 128 when I was 14 year old according to a test with 100=average, 130=Mensa level scores.

Based on wikipedia and google I can say that:
I love the "Perceptual Reasoning"[P](I will figure it out although they require some mental gymnastics) and I do pretty well at the "Verbal Comprehension"[V] (it's either I know right away or don't know but if I don't know I probably won't figure it out).
My "Working memory"[V] is not bad (I remember up to 9 digits and can do simple math at head). But "Processing Speed"[P] tasks are... wtf?(how do I know the answer for "If AGMS=FLRX then GMSY=?" 8O :| :scratch: :huh: :duh: :skull: )
Also questions like "Rearrange the jumble word: PARRHAPU" are pretty impossible for me.

What does that mean?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:04 pm

Verbal IQ: 141

Performance IQ: 79

Yup, I have a pretty big gap. They told me that any overall IQ would be inaccurate.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 9:13 pm

This is where the "you don't sound autistic" comes in, which I have been told in forums many times. Not like they thought I was lying or anything like that, but that it just doesn't manifest verbally/textually. But see how I operate outside of that and it's more like "wow you're really autistic alright". It's too bad there's not at least more middle ground.

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2017, 11:17 pm

I don't actually have a big discrepancy between my verbal and performance IQ. My verbal IQ is 106 and performance is 102. My results are pretty recent too. So I don't really fit either autism or Aspergers in this sense anyways.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2017, 4:24 am

Could someone link some tests so I can see what my scores are. Thank you :)

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 7:21 am

I've no idea what either my performance or verbal IQ is; all those online IQ tests make me very nervous. :wink: I can reasonably guess I have a below average verbal IQ, though. I speak without specific impediment but it all often comes out rushed or lacking inflection, making it hard for me to stay in a conversation or find the right time to interject something, which is so frustrating.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 12:34 pm

lgm23 wrote:
Hi all, I was wondering if it is typical of Asperger's to have a very high verbal IQ and an average to low verbal IQ. My verbal IQ is 151 and my performance IQ was tested as 85. The dr said that because of the wide discrepancy in scores, a full-scale IQ would not be valid. I am also diagnosed with ADHD so I am wondering if this is because of my Asperger's, ADHD or something else.

Interesting case - difference between VIQ and PIQ is 66, which is more than four standard deviations (if one SD was 15). Your IQ test results suggest nonverbal learning disorder (NVLD). I suppose than in USA or Canada you might be not diagnosed with Asperger's, but with NVLD instead of it (which in my opinion is not fair, because, if you have the diagnosis of Asperger's, your disorder should pervasively affect social and emotional areas, so it should not be classified as just learning disability, but as a pervasive developmental disorder).

What were your results in subscales of IQ test?

I had in verbal part:
Information 17
Digit span 11
Comprehension 13
Vocabulary 13
Similarities 13
Arithmetic 18

In nonverbal part:
Block design 14
Coding 13
Picture completion 9
Object assembly 9
Picture arrangement 8

I also had significantly higher VIQ than PIQ, but not so much - VIQ (126) was "only" 22 points higher than PIQ (104), full scale(?) IQ was 117. I was diagnosed with schizotypal disorder and OCD in addition to Asperger's. I suppose that in USA or Canada I would receive diagnosis of NVLD instead of Asperger's/PDD/ASD.

attendtheminuteparticulars
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2017, 7:38 pm

My overall IQ is 115.
Performance IQ - 130.
Verbal IQ - 100.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 8:24 pm

My performance IQ is higher than my verbal IQ and I'm a qualified to have aspergers as a diagnosis... :|

Kiriae wrote:
"If AGMS=FLRX then GMSY=?" 8O :| :scratch: :huh: :duh: :skull: )
Also questions like "Rearrange the jumble word: PARRHAPU" are pretty impossible for me.

What does that mean?

A is 5 lettrs away from F, G is 5 letters away from L, and so on. :|
If AGMS=FLRX, then GMSY=LRXD :skull: I know 'how', but it takes me time to let out 'what'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 7:01 am

I can only go on online tests where my verbal score is in the very superior range, and my nonverbal score averages in the borderline range.