Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

lgm23
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2017, 9:27 pm

I heard ABC is coming out with a new show on an autistic doctor called 'The Good Doctor' What are everyone's thoughts on it? I am personally very excited for the show, I love seeing representation of autistics in television. I am also hoping that it will portray the doctor as being able to make friends and things like that. I loved the show Bones because (even though they never diagnosed her onscreen) the lead character likely had Aspergers and she ended up with a strong friend group and family, same with Criminal Minds and Dr Reid.

Diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 9:45 am

It sounds interesting. I like medical programs. I hope that the character won't be a stereotypical one.

Feeling_Unvalidated
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2017, 6:13 pm

From previews i have seen it looks pretty realistic from what i can tell. It's going to be a rough balance of keeping the person likable while being honest about the condition. It's probably really going to come down to the writers.

MidnightLupin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 May 2017, 7:49 pm

The tv show seems to have promise but only time will tell.

PossiblyBisexualCanadian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2017, 2:35 am

I have seen the trailer for that show several times and it looks very promising to me, Freddie Highmore is a very talented actor and has experience playing neurodivergent roles. The drama is actually a remake of a Korean drama with the exact same name. I have seen the Korean original and was very impressed with the positive representation of autistic adults on the show. For a pretty conservative country, Korea did pretty good with it so I just hope America doesnt f**k this one up. In my opinion, if the American version is half as good as the Korean version, it'll be a good show, and a solid win for the autistic community! 8)

AranAren
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2017, 8:35 pm

I am really interested to see this one. As PBC said, I generally trust the actor from his previous work. However, I didn't feel the same about the Korean original (굿 닥터) because although it did have some good realistic moments, I wasn't very impressed with the overall treatment. Obviously there's going to be cultural differences, but the feeling of stigma/focus on "curing" all autistic traits is a lot stronger in the Korean show than ABC's version appears. It spends way too much time stressing all the negative aspects and glorifying the savant syndrome component as if that is Dr. Park's only redeeming value. The upcoming remake seems like it might be a little gentler on both ends, so I appreciate that, but only time will tell. (I really hope they don't have as much of a love story, though that's another issue :mrgreen: )

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

I, too, hope the character won't be too stereotypically classic-autism, we've had enough of those. :) I want to see it too now. I think we have ABC here so we can actually watch it. I also hope the show doesn't push euthanasia for anyone, the autistic's patients or not. I want this one to have a heart and also not push euthanasia.

I think House was also autistic, by the way.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2017, 2:05 pm

Supposedly no autistic actors, like with Atypical. I know a lot of people were grumbling about that.

lgm23
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2017, 5:27 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Supposedly no autistic actors, like with Atypical. I know a lot of people were grumbling about that.

I heard Atypical did have a major autistic actor? The main character isn't autistic in real life but the actor who plays the characters friend is I think

Diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 1:01 am

Autism Drama Set To Debut On ABC

Quote:
ABC said this week that it will debut “The Good Doctor” on Sept. 25 at 10 p.m. ET

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:39 am

I don't watch much tv but maybe this will give me a reason to return to it