Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:59 pm

In the past, I think my expectations for fitness was too high. I wanted to be very buffed up. Right now, I am looking at things a bit more realistic. I am still skinny and a little flabby/low muscle tone due to ASD. I just want more light muscle definition. Nothing very major. I still don't mind having a little bit of fat on me. I kind of wanted to do a little bit of bodyweight exercises. Nothing difficult like a handstand though. Also I don't think I should have to specifically target my arms if I'm doing certain exercises.

Another struggle is diet. I find keeping track if what and where I eat hard because of some executive dysfunction. It also causes trouble with counting nutrients. It doesn't help either that I lack skill in the kitchen at home.

Pete Wood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2017, 1:30 pm

I would very much recommend yoga, great for toning and relatively easy to build muscle with regular practice. Best of all calms me down, great for aspies!

Aspie Quiz Neurodiverse score 141/200 Neurotypical score 60/200
Proud to be different!

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:08 am

Eating regularly but healthy stuff, not junk, a little is good if overall you chomp down worthwhile material. I don't know what your workout schedule has been like but doing even fifteen minutes with some light weights if your cardio game is not too dedicated should see results in a couple months. Yoga is handy but I don't use it to gain weight, it helps tone for sure and is a wonderful cleanser for mind junk.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:39 am

The best way to put on a little muscle, is doing what you would do to put on a lot of muscle.
Lift HEAVY.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:43 am

Btw "toning" does not mean anything, it's a BS term.

You can either increase or decrease muscle mass.
or increase or decrease the amount of fat on your body.

Pete Wood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2017, 3:33 am

Yoga for toning meant in the way of gentle weight loss and building of muscle. Its worth a go, best of all reduces anxiety a great deal, and cheap, watch Adrienne or Yoga with Tim on YouTube, no equipment needed, but a cheap mat is brill. It's simple to work in 15 mins a day and in a few months you will notice the difference. Fast and ripped fair enough but I find it too hard to get motivated. Diet important but fundamentally calories in have to be lower than calories out most of the time, however don't beat yourself up about it and enjoy a decent diet with treats. Baby steps.

Aspie Quiz Neurodiverse score 141/200 Neurotypical score 60/200
Proud to be different!

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:24 pm

Pete Wood wrote:
Yoga for toning meant in the way of gentle weight loss and building of muscle. Its worth a go, best of all reduces anxiety a great deal, and cheap, watch Adrienne or Yoga with Tim on YouTube, no equipment needed, but a cheap mat is brill. It's simple to work in 15 mins a day and in a few months you will notice the difference. Fast and ripped fair enough but I find it too hard to get motivated. Diet important but fundamentally calories in have to be lower than calories out most of the time, however don't beat yourself up about it and enjoy a decent diet with treats. Baby steps.

I see, that makes sense then, I just wanted to clarify.

I do definitely enjoy yoga though, it's been great for reducing my stress levels, and also healing back injuries.
As far as diet goes, you are absolutely right. The most important thing is hitting that caloric deficit, and there is simply no basis for eliminating treats. A good mix of "healthy foods" and the foods you enjoy leads to the best results. Even if you want to get ripped.

I know fitness models who eat fast food and ice cream, and stay shredded year round.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2017, 6:32 am

It's because their metabolisms are in peak condition. I used to be like that, but I'm 2 stone overweight now. I started a diet today and brought a gym membership, if I don't make changes I'm going to get really fat.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 9:21 am

Victor1985 wrote:
It's because their metabolisms are in peak condition. I used to be like that, but I'm 2 stone overweight now. I started a diet today and brought a gym membership, if I don't make changes I'm going to get really fat.

It is because they monitor their caloric intake, having alot of muscle will increase how much you can eat though.
What is your daily caloric intake?

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2017, 1:20 pm

Terrible, I used to be like a racehorse, I could gain a kilo here and there but burn it off with no effort. Over the last year though, ive gained 4 bmi points!

I'm prescribed mirtazipine you see, its a powerful appetite enhancer, I'm like a machine after that, eating anything edible in the house. Ice cream, condiments et al I saw my doctor today though. She put me on a course of xenical and also there is only muesli, fruit, and trail mix to eat.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2017, 1:22 pm

I'm not sure exactly what the coloric intake is though, but its the wrong food groups.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 9:44 pm

I don't even diet or count calories. I just limit my portions and what I eat, that's it. I also work out at the gym three times a week. I have dropped some weight and when I started to limit sweets.

If you don't want to diet, only drink water instead of juice or any other drinks whenever you are thirsty. Drinks have calories, water does not.

Limit junk food.

Have small portions of food like measure it if you have to so you know the exact serving or just use a smaller bowl when you eat and only fill it half way. When eating out, don't clean your plate and just take the rest home (not sure if you live in the US). Also can you write down on your phone what you ate every time you eat something? My phone has a google document on it and I can write on there and it saves to google.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.