Invisable health, can you spot Ashbergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AuraTodd
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2017, 3:44 am

Imagine the situation. You suffer from Asperger's and your with a group of people at a support centre. In comes another support worker who is friendly enough, but gives you funny looks because she/he thinks you don't fit the criteria for support; yet you do need support.

It's bad enough when your stared at through narrowed eyes, like their saying 'why does she need help for? There's nothing wrong with her'. But THERE is because it's bad enough feeling like your in a box ...in social situations staring out being judged for what you can and can't do.

Feeling like your not being wanted and feeling embarrassed because you had the courage to admit you had a problem, is not easy. Being made to feel like 'you don't need to be here' when you do is pretty deflating to a condition which is not helped any better by the attitude of 'we can't help you, you just don't fit the bloody bill'. 8O

What do I need to do to prove my autism, it's hard enough trying to get across what I mean. Then people jump the gun and misunderstand what you are talking about, hang on you've got the wrong end of the stick. Do you know or even realise how frustrating it is trying to get people even understand autism in adults? Would you rather we all end up in asylums like back in the 19th century? :evil:

A bit of compassion would be nice, surprisingly even some Dr's from the older generation fail to recognise metal health or Asperger's. Please be patient with adults with Asperger's, don't get annoyed or impatient. If you do then your in the wrong profession, maybe retail or extra training would suit you better?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 6:48 am

Learning how to spell what you claim to have would probably be a good start.

AuraTodd
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2017, 10:15 am

Quote:

I see the grammer police are out in force :)

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2017, 10:43 am

Chichikov wrote:

I thought the misspelling was deliberate — kind of satirizing the attitude of the support worker and their apparent presumption that they know so much about the condition that they can tell at a glance who qualifies for help and who doesn't. In a comedy sketch it would be a character acting as a know-it-all, but signaling their ignorance by mispronouncing the name.

Or I might just be reading too much into things. I've been known to do that.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 May 2017, 10:46 am

Getting help is always the most humiliating thing to me, I've wasted years of life not thinking I deserved any assistance or accommodation. The worst thing about having an invisible disability isn't even the disability but how other people treat you because of it.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2017, 11:37 am

Did you ask what the "stare" was? Did the worker tell you that you didn't belong there? Do you have telepathy?

Maybe there is a subconscious or even conscious expectation of being judged because you don't believe you are as much in need as those around you and you may be projecting those idea onto others, I wouldn't know something to consider though.

Also the main consideration foremost if it was me would be is my inability to accurately read social cues causing me to misinterpret the situation? That and also letting them think what they want and when they decide to cross that line of thinking to saying or doing informing a supervisor of it. Until then who cares as long as they provide the service I am there for.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 5:39 pm

I am not sure if the OP is using the mis-spellings "Ashbergers" "Asperger's" knowingly or not.

Please note that the word is spelt Asperger's and please use that spelling from now on.