Friends leave me as soon as they gain my trust

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2017, 10:46 am

Hi. When someone befriends me, and I begin to open up and start to talk more with them, they leave me. Are there anyone who have experienced this? Why do they do this? What should I do?

AnodyneInsect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2017, 3:29 pm

Hi,
I've experienced a similar thing and am not quite sure why or what I may be doing to have this happen. I have tried editing my experiences when opening up but I feel that somehow I am not being totally me when do that. I have found that most of the people around the area and within my age group are very busy and do not really want to get tangled in deep analytical conversation. I do not know if editing your content is possible or if you have already tried it. Also it could just be the people you have met and not you. Hope this helps.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2017, 3:47 pm

AnodyneInsect wrote:
Hi,
I've experienced a similar thing and am not quite sure why or what I may be doing to have this happen. I have tried editing my experiences when opening up but I feel that somehow I am not being totally me when do that. I have found that most of the people around the area and within my age group are very busy and do not really want to get tangled in deep analytical conversation. I do not know if editing your content is possible or if you have already tried it. Also it could just be the people you have met and not you. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice. I've been trying to do that too, but as you say it, it doesn't feel like me. I don't feel I have a lot in common with people at my age group, maybe that's why. But when I think about it, I've actually met a few people being interested. Maybe it's both.

fselzr

25 Jun 2017, 6:10 pm

They weren't true friends for sure. Such friends are not worthy even spitting in their face. Probably they had some expectations, that you didn't fullilled. Then you could be only a tool for them.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:22 pm

Could it be that you shared too much too soon?
Or gave overly graphic details,
like TMI ... "too much information" ?

People don't want to hear someone's entire life story right away,
nor do they want to become a dumping ground
for someone's emotions for a new person they don't know well.

Maybe proceed at a slower pace?
And ask the other person about themselves?
(Again, not with too much detail,
but something pleasant about their family or interests
or weekend or vacation or pets, etc.)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 9:07 am

Have you considered asking these people if you are doing things that are offending them and turning them off? If not then I don't think these are friends in the first place.