Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 10:43 pm

Overcoming the fear of correction and trying to accept yourself.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 11:03 pm

Well it depends on why you fear correction. If, for example, people have corrected you in the past just to be malicious, then your fear is justified and the first step in the solution is to seek nicer people.

But if the problem is your own reactions to innocent correction, you need to figure out a way to stop feeling humiliated. I know that's probably easier said than done. You know there is nothing wrong with being wrong or uninformed.

This too depends on context: if you find yourself uninformed about a lot of things most other people know about, then that's more than a psychological problem, and you can address it by trying to get more experience/information/whatever.

What I would do is remind myself again and again that being wrong is normal and not a good reason to feel bad about. Maybe write it on large paper and put it up on your wall, or say it to yourself first thing in the morning every day. And if part of the humiliation comes from worrying about what other people think of you, try to get a more realistic perspective and see that most people probably don't care very much.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 1:16 am

ZachGoodwin wrote:
Overcoming the fear of correction and trying to accept yourself.

I've always thought it an unreasonable demand that a person should never be incorrect. In as much as that, I don't fear being wrong. I fear being wrong and never being corrected.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 5:57 am

I don't like it either. I make mistakes and people correct me. They criticize me. Sometimes I think they must think I'm a real idiot. It would be more accurate to say they think I had an idiotic moment before they corrected me, not that they think I'm generally an idiot.

It's probably the same for you most of the time. Yes I know correction is humiliating but what helps me bear it is this saying - To Avoid Criticism, Say Nothing, Do Nothing, Be Nothing.

To further elaborate, I read on Forbes that to be successful, you have to accept public humiliation. The one who can accept public humiliation will try until he succeeds, the one who cannot won't try and may in time, suffer greater humiliation from having achieved nothing.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 9:54 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I
To further elaborate, I read on Forbes that to be successful, you have to accept public humiliation. The one who can accept public humiliation will try until he succeeds, the one who cannot won't try and may in time, suffer greater humiliation from having achieved nothing.

Surely that depends on the type of success. And not everyone experiences humiliation, so some people don't have to accept it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 8:54 pm

starkid wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I

Surely that depends on the type of success. And not everyone experiences humiliation, so some people don't have to accept it.

I just want the kind of success that makes me not feel inferior to other people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 5:57 am

I haven't had much success....but I don't feel inferior.

I just feel I've had more success than some others, and less success than some others.

If you constantly compare yourself to others, you'll probably be less successful than if you didn't.

Too much wasted energy.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 5:44 pm

No wonder I don't feel energetic.

rcsf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2017, 6:58 am

For me, I focus on positive thoughts about me and the event and what good could happen if I do and try to distract the worries about the other people around me. Of course, that's not work very well, and many times I finish feeling myself frustrated, but can tell you it makes change and self-help me to going on.