Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 11:21 pm

Usually when I'm on forums, the overwhelming majority of the people who show any interest in me are men. Men send me messages and respond to my comments far more than womyn, even when there are roughly equal numbers of the sexes on the website. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's frustrating because I prefer to talk to womyn. Does this happen to you?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 5:55 am

I guess no one sends messages to queers - no one sends me messages male or female.
I could assume though that autistic men think their chances may be better with an autistic woman than a neurotypical woman, so send you messages hoping you'll respond favourably? It could be a compliment.
Why do you prefer to hear from women?

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 10:54 am

They usually end up talking about what they are looking for in a girlfriend after two PMs, automatically assuming you're looking to date. Or they stop talking to you after finding out your not interested in dating or are already in a relationship. It's seems females are treated as a piece of meat no matter where we go. We are never treated on the same level. It's always a romantic or sexual conquest.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 6:46 pm

I got a pm a few days ago. This guy has no WP history and all his message said was 'Please contact me....I want to talk to you.' I don't reply to people who don't have any forum history and who don't tell me why they are contacting me. He is a total random.
What he obviously doesn't understand is summoning me is tricky. It's best done in a pentagram with appropriate incantations and offerings. I've grown tired of live sacrifice but chocolate is always appreciated so if anyone ever wants to try an evocation it's worth including a pic of the chocolate you intend to sacrifice in my honor. Is that really too much to ask?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 6:57 pm

That sounds like a spammer bunnyb.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:13 pm

starkid wrote:
That sounds like a spammer bunnyb.

That was my thought to. I just hope he doesn't target any kids here.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:41 pm

If it's a common problem for you on many forums, I would think the reason would be something like because the majority of the population is heterosexual/believed to be heterosexual. So when a guy sees your post/picture/reply to a post, and he thinks you're attractive, he's more likely to reach out to you (because he's more likely to believe you'd be receptive to his advances than a woman who finds you attractive). Let me flip this around on you a bit though. Do you send women you're attracted to a message? If not, why not?

Last edited by BetwixtBetween on 31 May 2017, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:46 pm

starkid wrote:
Usually when I'm on forums, the overwhelming majority of the people who show any interest in me are men. Men send me messages and respond to my comments far more than womyn, even when there are roughly equal numbers of the sexes on the website. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's frustrating because I prefer to talk to womyn. Does this happen to you?

I find you very dull and boring, I'm male.

Does that help?

HermioneG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2017, 8:04 pm

I haven't been here long enough to say whether that is the case. Sorry guys are bothering you. If it helps, in the past on dating websites and such I was only messaged by females on occasion.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
~Unofficially diagnosed but fairly certain based on personal research that I am an Aspie~

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 5:09 pm

starkid wrote:

If you prefer to talk to women then I recommend you limit your posts to female only forums.

Wrongplanet is predominantly male.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 3:12 am

Chronos wrote:
starkid wrote:

If you prefer to talk to women then I recommend you limit your posts to female only forums.

Wrongplanet is predominantly male.

1. "Wrongplanet is predominantly male" not disagreeing with you necessarily.. but what do you base this statement on?

2. The OP said this happens even when on websites where there are "roughly equal numbers of the sexes on the website".

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 8:22 pm

Yes. I believe it can be out of a desire to meet potential girlfriends. My experiences talking to them confirm this more often than not.

I agree that it's saddening to think that someone wants to talk, and then to be discarded immediately if you don't play into their little game.. especially on forums geared towards community, support, etc. So many fakes. It's very different from a friendship naturally becoming more.

There are also bots/scammers that target lonely men and women alike.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 4:27 pm

Do you mean forums in general? If you spell women with a y in your posts then it is surprising that only men contact you, perhaps they find your perspective relatable.
Is it the same for you on feminist forums?