Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 2:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So many flawed and false assumptions I'm not bothering to quote you or address each one.

I listen to more punk than metal, and especially crust/emo/grind/powerviolence, along with older hardcore punk and newer stuff that continues that sound. Most of the metal that stays in my rotation is stuff like Bolt Thrower, Darkthrone and Celtic Frost.
I'd consider Metal Archives to be more authoritative than you, even if I don't consider it to be authoritative. Feel free to insist that they're biased while pretending you're not. We're all biased.

The real reason you're not going to address literally one sentence but felt free to brag about how much punk you listen to is because you know you have no argument, but don't want to admit it.

Crust is heavily influenced by metal, and it's clear that's the realm of punk that is your preference.

Don't take my word for it, any reliable source agrees modern metalcore leans more towards metal. Wikipedia spells out the consensus, and if you don't think Wikipedia is authoritative, then neither is Metal Archives as they are a wiki as wiki, just one with a much more esoteric culture.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 12:07 am

Well enough of this debate, it will never end...

But what about metal music videos:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 12:39 am

T Rex were never a heavy metal group, and Bolan's voice probably wasn't robust enough for the genre, but it looked to be an avenue he was looking at briefly around 1973 as his glam rock phase was coming to an end. Unfortunately he didn't pursue or develop this direction, and his career went pretty much nowhere after that, though many fans would dispute that analysis.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 1:21 am

Ganondox wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
So many flawed and false assumptions I'm not bothering to quote you or address each one.

I listen to more punk than metal, and especially crust/emo/grind/powerviolence, along with older hardcore punk and newer stuff that continues that sound. Most of the metal that stays in my rotation is stuff like Bolt Thrower, Darkthrone and Celtic Frost.
I'd consider Metal Archives to be more authoritative than you, even if I don't consider it to be authoritative. Feel free to insist that they're biased while pretending you're not. We're all biased.

The real reason you're not going to address literally one sentence but felt free to brag about how much punk you listen to is because you know you have no argument, but don't want to admit it.

Crust is heavily influenced by metal, and it's clear that's the realm of punk that is your preference.

Don't take my word for it, any reliable source agrees modern metalcore leans more towards metal. Wikipedia spells out the consensus, and if you don't think Wikipedia is authoritative, then neither is Metal Archives as they are a wiki as wiki, just one with a much more esoteric culture.

You've said nothing worthy of a rebuttal. You don't have to agree with me and I'm not wasting further time pretending like you've said anything valid or worthy of a thoughtful response. Sorry kiddo.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 12:11 am

Ganondox wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
dinosaur train is awesome wrote:
Metalcore! Not many people consider it as real metal, but I'm one of the people that do. I mean come on, it literally says "metal" in the name! Some bands I listen to a lot are Bad Omens, The Amity Affliction, and The Gloom in the Corner. I don't have any particular favorites because my "favorites" are constantly changing anyways.

I think it's silly to argue it's not metal because thrash metal is also a fusion of metal and hardcore punk, but I do understand the reasoning as it did originally come out of the hardcore punk scene, not metal, though that's irrelevant to modern metalcore bands. Bands like Trivium and Killswitch get labeled as heavy metal as well as metalcore as they are definitely removed from metalcore's hardcore roots. Anyway, while there is pretty of copycat metalcore bands and some of it really sucks, a lot of it is really good, and I think after black metal it has the most creative bands.

Well as far as I understand metalcore is a fusion genre of hardcore influenced by metal.

It is *a* fusion of hardcore punk and metal (as there is countless other fusions), in theory it's a subgenre of both hardcore punk and heavy metal. However, overtime it's moved away from hardcore punk and has become much more metal. The melodic metalcore bands are definitely more metal than hardcore punk, as they are based in a fusion of metalcore with melodic death metal, and many take influence from glam metal and traditional heavy metal as well.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
dinosaur train is awesome wrote:
Metalcore! Not many people consider it as real metal, but I'm one of the people that do. I mean come on, it literally says "metal" in the name! Some bands I listen to a lot are Bad Omens, The Amity Affliction, and The Gloom in the Corner. I don't have any particular favorites because my "favorites" are constantly changing anyways.

I think it's silly to argue it's not metal because thrash metal is also a fusion of metal and hardcore punk, but I do understand the reasoning as it did originally come out of the hardcore punk scene, not metal, though that's irrelevant to modern metalcore bands. Bands like Trivium and Killswitch get labeled as heavy metal as well as metalcore as they are definitely removed from metalcore's hardcore roots. Anyway, while there is pretty of copycat metalcore bands and some of it really sucks, a lot of it is really good, and I think after black metal it has the most creative bands.

Well as far as I understand metalcore is a fusion genre of hardcore influenced by metal.

^Uhh I mean, in my view its not exactly metal or hardcore, kind of its own stand alone genre wheras thrash metal seems to keep more to its metal roots whilst just having hardcore punk influence.

For the more melodic thrash bands like Metallica and Anthrax, yeah, but for many of the bands on the more extreme end of thrash metal (Slayer Reign in Blood and onwards, most the first wave black metal bands) the hardcore punk influence was much more prominent. Once crossover thrash picked up thrash metal became more punk than metal.

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Uhh I mean, in my view its not exactly metal or hardcore, kind of its own stand alone genre wheras thrash metal seems to keep more to its metal roots whilst just having hardcore punk influence.

This.

Metalcore is a crossover genre between hardcore and metal but typically falls closer to hardcore. Thrash metal falls closer to metal, thrashcore falls closer to hardcore and crossover thrash sits perfectly in the middle. \m/

Yeah, no. Unless by metalcore you are referring to the bands which called metallic hardcore (and people with your attitude tend to ignorantly think is pure hardcore punk) nowadays, that's simply untrue, most metalcore is much closer to heavy metal. Sure, many modern metal bands take from post-hardcore, but that's much different from actual hardcore punk. Also, thrashcore is not what you think it is, it actually has nothing to do with metal, it's just a subgenre of hardcore punk which is particularly fast. Finally, crossover thrash is almost always definitely closer to hardcore punk than it is to heavy metal (in fact, metallic hardcore was the heavier branch of crossover thrash), I'm getting the impression you don't know what hardcore punk is.

komamanga wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
I have the Human Equation, but none of their other albums. I'm interested in their newer albums though because of Mike Toehider's involvement.

I don't own their(or his?) albums but everything is nowadays on youtube. My personal two favorite albums are the human equation and actual fantasy. I think their approach to music is very original and there's a beautifully flowing story in each album.
Also he works with many great vocalists which makes it even more appealing!

As a matter of policy I don't listen to full albums on youtube. Musicians need their money.

Lol my compromise is metalcore is its own fusion genre...maybe I am too stubborn. Thrash is just metal with some punk influence because they were sick of hair metal and wanted something more brutal so they sped it up and started doing more harsh vocals.

As for listening to albums on youtube, I have done that....but I also go to concerts and buy albums and such. Only from concerts or independent record stores or band websites provided the band is still living/active, I mean who are you paying if the musicians are dead?

Also a lot of bands seem to encourage spotify where you can certainly listen to their albums. Otherwise the wouldn't participate by making their own public playlists.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

Just going to leave this here.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2017, 1:33 pm

Not my bag, however as a kid, 14-16 I saw the following live

Black Sabbath 1978 Van Hallen were the support Band
AC/DC 1978 and 1979 with Bon Scott, never saw the new bloke they have now.
Motorhead Overkill and Bomber tours (can't remember the year)
UFO 1979
Rush 1979 and 1980
Boston 1979 at Stafford Bingley Hall
Blue Oyster Cult 1979
Led Zeppelin 1979
Sammy Hagar 1979 with Def Leppard supporting (drummer had two arms)
Iron Maiden 1979 with the original singer and before any record contract had been signed, Saxon also played

All in Manchester

I am sure there is more than that, does not seem like enough...uummmmmmm

Before I discovered the Post Punk Scene I was more a Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis type (seen all of these loads of these too)

BBC: Radio 4

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 4:20 pm

^I was pretty obsessed with Pink Floyd before I got into Metal. So obsessed that I actually kinda burnt myself out on them for a while and couldn't listen to them, I still listen to them now but certainly not as much as I used to.

The closest I have seen to Black Sabbath live was Heaven and Hell with Dio on the last tour before Dio died. But obviously that's not the original line up with Ozzy.

I got to see Iron Maiden a few years back, but the venue was terrible...still enjoyed the show but yeah the venue management was so uptight they couldn't even do an encore like the wanted, couldn't get all their equipment for the show on stage and got complained at for being too loud and violating the noise ordinance.

Why would they have a strict noise ordinance for a freaking outdoors venue.... :evil:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 6:13 pm

I am a different kind of metal head since my favorite metal bands would be bands like Melvins, Mastodon, Godflesh, Type O Negative (R.I.P. Peter Steele), KMFDM, Neurosis, Napalm Death, Prong, Corrosion of Conformity, Ministry, Amorphis, Fear Factory, and Faith No More as well as Mike Patton's other bands like Fantômas, Tomahawk, and Mr. Bungle. I generally prefer bands who make rhythms out of chunks of sound rather than technical prowess. Though Swans aren't a metal band (Michael Gira himself states this), they are still heavy and have rhythms made of chunks of sound that feel like they can last forever.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also I have found you can find some pretty cool music if you look into solo projects of band members you like. But yeah classic metal to newer kinds....I just love metal I don't care if it's new or old. Though it does annoy me when younger people try and say
black sabbath wasn't metal! or things like that because black sabbath started metal.

But just to remind. I am a metalhead and I will always be that I don't want to not be a metalhead so yeah, if people don't like it F**k them! And don't disrespect Dio.....I would have a hard time not going berzerk if someone wanted to talk crap on Dio.

Two of the guys from Mastodon have side projects called Gone is Gone (Only heard their EP, though. I've put off buying the full length until later), Giraffe Tongue Orchestra, and Legend of the Seagullmen who I hope will release an EP or full length sooner or later. As I said before, I like Mike Patton's non-Faith No More bands and I would like to get Crystal Fairy's album since King Buzzo of the Melvins plays on it.

Oddly, I'll run into (mostly older) people who love Led Zeppelin, Van Halen (Not a fan myself), Rush (Same as Van Halen), and AC/DC but say they don't like Black Sabbath. I don't get that at all. They'll say Black Sabbath is "too fast" despite how those other bands were not slow pokes. Tony Iommi's riffs reach out to me much more than all four of those bands combined.

It's hard being a metal fan where I live. The closest things to metal rednecks like is Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Disturbed, Slipknot, and later era Metallica; they don't buy their albums but download their hits and play them to death so they aren't even genuine fans. If you try having a conversation with them, they'll just say "Uhhhhh, I just only like those songs by them." and they'll go back to drinking or smoking. Music is not an art form but simply background filler sound to them. But most rednecks prefer country music and think metal is just "screaming and yelling".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 5:18 pm

Marknis wrote:
I am a different kind of metal head since my favorite metal bands would be bands like Melvins, Mastodon, Godflesh, Type O Negative (R.I.P. Peter Steele), KMFDM, Neurosis, Napalm Death, Prong, Corrosion of Conformity, Ministry, Amorphis, Fear Factory, and Faith No More as well as Mike Patton's other bands like Fantômas, Tomahawk, and Mr. Bungle. I generally prefer bands who make rhythms out of chunks of sound rather than technical prowess. Though Swans aren't a metal band (Michael Gira himself states this), they are still heavy and have rhythms made of chunks of sound that feel like they can last forever.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also I have found you can find some pretty cool music if you look into solo projects of band members you like. But yeah classic metal to newer kinds....I just love metal I don't care if it's new or old. Though it does annoy me when younger people try and say
black sabbath wasn't metal! or things like that because black sabbath started metal.

But just to remind. I am a metalhead and I will always be that I don't want to not be a metalhead so yeah, if people don't like it F**k them! And don't disrespect Dio.....I would have a hard time not going berzerk if someone wanted to talk crap on Dio.

Two of the guys from Mastodon have side projects called Gone is Gone (Only heard their EP, though. I've put off buying the full length until later), Giraffe Tongue Orchestra, and Legend of the Seagullmen who I hope will release an EP or full length sooner or later. As I said before, I like Mike Patton's non-Faith No More bands and I would like to get Crystal Fairy's album since King Buzzo of the Melvins plays on it.

Oddly, I'll run into (mostly older) people who love Led Zeppelin, Van Halen (Not a fan myself), Rush (Same as Van Halen), and AC/DC but say they don't like Black Sabbath. I don't get that at all. They'll say Black Sabbath is "too fast" despite how those other bands were not slow pokes. Tony Iommi's riffs reach out to me much more than all four of those bands combined.

It's hard being a metal fan where I live. The closest things to metal rednecks like is Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Disturbed, Slipknot, and later era Metallica; they don't buy their albums but download their hits and play them to death so they aren't even genuine fans. If you try having a conversation with them, they'll just say "Uhhhhh, I just only like those songs by them." and they'll go back to drinking or smoking. Music is not an art form but simply background filler sound to them. But most rednecks prefer country music and think metal is just "screaming and yelling".

I got to see Neurosis live, they opened for In the Company of Serpents(which is a local denver band) they were pretty awesome, and I recall it seemed like the keyboard had been modified in an odd way...either way good band for sure.

It annoys me when people say metal is just 'screaming' In fact most metal actually is not screaming....the metal vocalists who do harsh vocals don't scream them into the microphone they'd ruin their vocals that way. More harsh growls and gutteral or high pitched raspy vocalizing than loud screaming. But then there are plenty of bands that have more clean vocals particularly a lot of power metal, progressive metal and doom metal....and folk metal but a lot of those bands incorporate harsh and clean vocals. But yeah no since trying to explain that to a country music listening redneck.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 8:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:

I got to see Neurosis live, they opened for In the Company of Serpents(which is a local denver band) they were pretty awesome, and I recall it seemed like the keyboard had been modified in an odd way...either way good band for sure.

It annoys me when people say metal is just 'screaming' In fact most metal actually is not screaming....the metal vocalists who do harsh vocals don't scream them into the microphone they'd ruin their vocals that way. More harsh growls and gutteral or high pitched raspy vocalizing than loud screaming. But then there are plenty of bands that have more clean vocals particularly a lot of power metal, progressive metal and doom metal....and folk metal but a lot of those bands incorporate harsh and clean vocals. But yeah no since trying to explain that to a country music listening redneck.

Lucky! I'd love to see Neurosis live but I haven't yet. I used to rely on my cousin to go see bands live but it was usually bands only we both wanted to see; Clutch and Mastodon we've seen twice together and both bands kick ass. I did see Swans and Melvins on my own last year, though, after I got the courage to drive to Austin on my own. I actually met Michael Gira and King Buzzo respectively when I saw both bands.

That's another reason why I want to get out of the Bible Belt or atleast be in a place like Austin. Some might accuse me of being a snob who looks down on others for not knowing about underground music but that is not true. I like Primus, Tool, Soundgarden (R.I.P. Chris Cornell), and Moby who are all very much mainstream. Pop country is just soulless mass produced junk.

Shroom22
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2018, 7:57 pm

Love metal ..... Sabbath, Iron Claw, Pentagram, Cruxifixion, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Antioch, Lucifers friend, Hellion, etc.

Hell I took myself and my lovely girlfriend to the local metalfest where we had a great time a few weeks ago. It was outta of this work though alot of it seemed to be oriented towards death metal whereas my tastes are oriented towards NWOBHM and Early Traditional Metal to be frank. I even bought her a ring out of dedication to her.

Headbangers r Us.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2018, 2:08 pm

I prefer post hardcore to metal. Hardcore punk has more of a relevant quality to it. I do listen to metal sometimes though; Slipknot, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Born of Osiris, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Deftones (if that counts), Amon Amarth, probably others that don't spring to mind.

My favourite post hardcore is; Stick to Your Guns, Senses Fail, A Day to Remeber, and others but my mind is blank right now.

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2018, 6:06 pm

Mythos wrote:
I prefer post hardcore to metal. Hardcore punk has more of a relevant quality to it. I do listen to metal sometimes though; Slipknot, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Born of Osiris, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Deftones (if that counts), Amon Amarth, probably others that don't spring to mind.

My favourite post hardcore is; Stick to Your Guns, Senses Fail, A Day to Remeber, and others but my mind is blank right now.

Ever heard of Get The Shot?

Galeheart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2018, 6:29 pm

Just found out about these guys. They're a 3-piece UK band that Chris Adler described as "death-groove," which is pretty spot on. Apparently he's helping manage this band, which is pretty exciting.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2018, 6:26 pm

Mythos wrote:

Nice mix there, I like most of those but I also like alternative metal/ alternative rock/ grunge and then older stuff like Maiden, Metallica, Manowar to name a few.