Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:19 pm

RushKing wrote:
Although I don't really consider myself a strict metalhead. Metal makes up the majority of my music collection.

These days I lean toward Atmospheric Black Metal (Agalloch, Summoning, Saor, Lustre etc.)

Again Panopticon forever.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 2:53 pm

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
komamanga wrote:
SharkSandwich211 wrote:
There is so much metal to like!! !

I would have to say Thrash (Testament, Death Angel, The Crown) but then there is the Doom Metal side to me too. (Thunderstorm, old Anathema, Candlemass, Trouble, While Heaven Wept, Reverend Bizzare) ....the lists go on and on.

I love Anathema, both old and new!

Yeah I like the new stuff too!! ! I have tickets to see them in Baltimore on their current tour; I can't wait. Judgement by far my favorite album...lyrically crushing and musically just so beautiful. Great band!! !

Judgement is my favorite album too! I've grown up with their music and thus their music means a lot to me. Have fun in the concert!

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 2:58 am

dinosaur train is awesome wrote:
Metalcore! Not many people consider it as real metal, but I'm one of the people that do. I mean come on, it literally says "metal" in the name! Some bands I listen to a lot are Bad Omens, The Amity Affliction, and The Gloom in the Corner. I don't have any particular favorites because my "favorites" are constantly changing anyways.

People who say that metalcore isn't metal are just elitists! It seems like it's trendy to hate on metalcore. Bands like Code Orange and Converge are amazing.

wtf

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 2:59 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I really like folk metal...probably not the most popular sort of metal, but its awesome.

I try to get in to folk metal, but it's not really my cup of tea.

wtf

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 7:19 pm

komamanga wrote:
I'm also in! Although probably not exactly a heavy metal lover.
Anybody into Ayreon?
From oldies my favorites are Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.
Animals as Leaders, Blind Guardian, Katatonia, Moonspell, Slipknot, Stratovarius, Therion are the first to pop into my head. I like also folk metal bands like Korpiklaani and don't mind listening to blackmetal at all though I will most probably not play it myself.

I have the Human Equation, but none of their other albums. I'm interested in their newer albums though because of Mike Toehider's involvement.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 7:26 pm

Metalcore! Not many people consider it as real metal, but I'm one of the people that do. I mean come on, it literally says "metal" in the name! Some bands I listen to a lot are Bad Omens, The Amity Affliction, and The Gloom in the Corner. I don't have any particular favorites because my "favorites" are constantly changing anyways.

I think it's silly to argue it's not metal because thrash metal is also a fusion of metal and hardcore punk, but I do understand the reasoning as it did originally come out of the hardcore punk scene, not metal, though that's irrelevant to modern metalcore bands. Bands like Trivium and Killswitch get labeled as heavy metal as well as metalcore as they are definitely removed from metalcore's hardcore roots. Anyway, while there is pretty of copycat metalcore bands and some of it really sucks, a lot of it is really good, and I think after black metal it has the most creative bands.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:30 am

Ganondox wrote:

I think it's silly to argue it's not metal because thrash metal is also a fusion of metal and hardcore punk, but I do understand the reasoning as it did originally come out of the hardcore punk scene, not metal, though that's irrelevant to modern metalcore bands. Bands like Trivium and Killswitch get labeled as heavy metal as well as metalcore as they are definitely removed from metalcore's hardcore roots. Anyway, while there is pretty of copycat metalcore bands and some of it really sucks, a lot of it is really good, and I think after black metal it has the most creative bands.

Well as far as I understand metalcore is a fusion genre of hardcore influenced by metal.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:50 am

Ganondox wrote:
I have the Human Equation, but none of their other albums. I'm interested in their newer albums though because of Mike Toehider's involvement.

I don't own their(or his?) albums but everything is nowadays on youtube. My personal two favorite albums are the human equation and actual fantasy. I think their approach to music is very original and there's a beautifully flowing story in each album.
Also he works with many great vocalists which makes it even more appealing!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 2:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Well as far as I understand metalcore is a fusion genre of hardcore influenced by metal.

^Uhh I mean, in my view its not exactly metal or hardcore, kind of its own stand alone genre wheras thrash metal seems to keep more to its metal roots whilst just having hardcore punk influence.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:18 pm

danieldoesnotexist wrote:

People who say that metalcore isn't metal are just elitists! It seems like it's trendy to hate on metalcore. Bands like Code Orange and Converge are amazing.

I like metalcore, but it's not metal. Not all heavy music is metal. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Uhh I mean, in my view its not exactly metal or hardcore, kind of its own stand alone genre wheras thrash metal seems to keep more to its metal roots whilst just having hardcore punk influence.

This.

Metalcore is a crossover genre between hardcore and metal but typically falls closer to hardcore. Thrash metal falls closer to metal, thrashcore falls closer to hardcore and crossover thrash sits perfectly in the middle. \m/

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2017, 7:47 pm

okie dokie

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

It is *a* fusion of hardcore punk and metal (as there is countless other fusions), in theory it's a subgenre of both hardcore punk and heavy metal. However, overtime it's moved away from hardcore punk and has become much more metal. The melodic metalcore bands are definitely more metal than hardcore punk, as they are based in a fusion of metalcore with melodic death metal, and many take influence from glam metal and traditional heavy metal as well.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

^Uhh I mean, in my view its not exactly metal or hardcore, kind of its own stand alone genre wheras thrash metal seems to keep more to its metal roots whilst just having hardcore punk influence.

For the more melodic thrash bands like Metallica and Anthrax, yeah, but for many of the bands on the more extreme end of thrash metal (Slayer Reign in Blood and onwards, most the first wave black metal bands) the hardcore punk influence was much more prominent. Once crossover thrash picked up thrash metal became more punk than metal.

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Uhh I mean, in my view its not exactly metal or hardcore, kind of its own stand alone genre wheras thrash metal seems to keep more to its metal roots whilst just having hardcore punk influence.

This.

Metalcore is a crossover genre between hardcore and metal but typically falls closer to hardcore. Thrash metal falls closer to metal, thrashcore falls closer to hardcore and crossover thrash sits perfectly in the middle. \m/

Yeah, no. Unless by metalcore you are referring to the bands which called metallic hardcore (and people with your attitude tend to ignorantly think is pure hardcore punk) nowadays, that's simply untrue, most metalcore is much closer to heavy metal. Sure, many modern metal bands take from post-hardcore, but that's much different from actual hardcore punk. Also, thrashcore is not what you think it is, it actually has nothing to do with metal, it's just a subgenre of hardcore punk which is particularly fast. Finally, crossover thrash is almost always definitely closer to hardcore punk than it is to heavy metal (in fact, metallic hardcore was the heavier branch of crossover thrash), I'm getting the impression you don't know what hardcore punk is.

komamanga wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I don't own their(or his?) albums but everything is nowadays on youtube. My personal two favorite albums are the human equation and actual fantasy. I think their approach to music is very original and there's a beautifully flowing story in each album.

As a matter of policy I don't listen to full albums on youtube. Musicians need their money.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

It is *a* fusion of hardcore punk and metal (as there is countless other fusions), in theory it's a subgenre of both hardcore punk and heavy metal. However, overtime it's moved away from hardcore punk and has become much more metal. The melodic metalcore bands are definitely more metal than hardcore punk, as they are based in a fusion of metalcore with melodic death metal, and many take influence from glam metal and traditional heavy metal as well.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

For the more melodic thrash bands like Metallica and Anthrax, yeah, but for many of the bands on the more extreme end of thrash metal (Slayer Reign in Blood and onwards, most the first wave black metal bands) the hardcore punk influence was much more prominent. Once crossover thrash picked up thrash metal became more punk than metal.

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

This.

Yeah, no. Unless by metalcore you are referring to the bands which called metallic hardcore (and people with your attitude tend to ignorantly think is pure hardcore punk) nowadays, that's simply untrue, most metalcore is much closer to heavy metal. Sure, many modern metal bands take from post-hardcore, but that's much different from actual hardcore punk. Also, thrashcore is not what you think it is, it actually has nothing to do with metal, it's just a subgenre of hardcore punk which is particularly fast. Finally, crossover thrash is almost always definitely closer to hardcore punk than it is to heavy metal (in fact, metallic hardcore was the heavier branch of crossover thrash), I'm getting the impression you don't know what hardcore punk is.

komamanga wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

As a matter of policy I don't listen to full albums on youtube. Musicians need their money.

Most metalcore doesn't sound closer to metal though, maybe it has more metal influence then I think but the end sound certainly just doesn't quite sound like metal. That's why as for that debate I stick with it being its own genre with metal and punk influence...and I don't even hate it, I've heard some I like. I mean anymore I just feel like why does it have to be punk or metal?...it seems to have enough of a distinct sound to stand as its own genre.

In the past I argued very hard about it not being metal...and some punk people argued just as hard about it not being punk. Back in my forum invasion days on myyearbook where I instigated invading the prep and punk forums to demand a metal forum and a bunch of us participated. But those forums aren't around anymore.... :(

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 9:16 pm

Ganondox wrote:

I've been listening to hardcore punk since before you started kindergarden, it makes up a pretty significant portion of my musical collection, from Minor Threat and Gorilla Biscuits to newer stuff like Have Heart and Champion. So, come on lil' buckaroo, school me. :roll:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 3:06 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

This.

komamanga wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Most metalcore doesn't sound closer to metal though, maybe it has more metal influence then I think but the end sound certainly just doesn't quite sound like metal. That's why as for that debate I stick with it being its own genre with metal and punk influence...and I don't even hate it, I've heard some I like. I mean anymore I just feel like why does it have to be punk or metal?...it seems to have enough of a distinct sound to stand as its own genre.

In the past I argued very hard about it not being metal...and some punk people argued just as hard about it not being punk. Back in my forum invasion days on myyearbook where I instigated invading the prep and punk forums to demand a metal forum and a bunch of us participated. But those forums aren't around anymore.... :(

It sounds much closer to metal than it does to hardcore punk. You just don't realize that because you're more into metal than you are into hardcore punk. Yeah, it's different from traditional heavy metal, but it's smaller of a jump from traditional heavy metal to extreme metal than from traditional extreme metal to metalcore.

I understand putting at least some of the 3rd wave aside as it's own genre, but it depends on the band. Some metalcore bands meet even Metal Archive's standards for metal like Triphon (they definately straddle the lines between melodic metalcore and melodeath, though Metal Archives just considers them metalcore because they're biased).

funeralxempire wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I've been listening to hardcore punk since before you started kindergarden, it makes up a pretty significant portion of my musical collection, from Minor Threat and Gorilla Biscuits to newer stuff like Have Heart and Champion. So, come on lil' buckaroo, school me. :roll:

So then why are you making so many ridiculous assertions about where various subgenres fall on the punk-metal spectrum? Eg. How is Killswitch Engage closer to Champions than they are to Soilwork? That's the sort of stuff people are talking about when they refer to metalcore nowadays, not stuff like Earth Crisis.