underwater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 2:05 pm

Lintar wrote:
underwater wrote:
Lintar wrote:
underwater wrote:
About Russia and the Baltic coast: Russia will always want control over it for obvious geopolitical reasons, and people in the Baltic states know it too well. The only access Russia has to the Baltic sea is through Kaliningrad, which is shut in by Lithuania and Poland. Not a happy situation for the Russians.

The "only" access? Have you ever heard of St. Petersberg, which used to be called Leningrad? It's only Russia's second largest city, and it is a port city on the BALTIC! What about Kronshtadt? That's Russia's oldest naval base, and it too is on the Baltic.

Wow, the sheer ignorance I am encountering here regarding all things Russian is truly, utterly astounding!

I'm sorry. I don't know what is happening with my brain. I am having memory problems, and this is the most idiotic thing I've said to date. It's like I'll function normally, and everyone thinks I'm ok, including my husband, and then suddenly I forget the existence of St. Petersburg. I think I'll stay out of PPR for a while.

Sorry, I didn't know you had memory issues. I just saw the statement, knew it was wrong, and responded. I have a tendency to do that (a lot). :oops:

Just remembered I wanted to get back to you on this: Don't worry, I know it was stupid and I don't particularly feel bad about it as it is just one example of a bigger problem. I know PPR gets rough at times, and it doesn't bother me when I know I was wrong and it was all very spontaneous. Seriously, you weren't mean.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 3:34 pm

Lintar wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_largest_historical_GDP

Notice on that chart the Soviets were the 2nd largest economy in 1985, a decade later and beyond Russia is nowhere to be found...hmm, wonder were all that economy went, oh yeah probably the half of Europe they dominated and stole from. But you're right, I'm wrong, the Soviets were all s**ts and giggles for Eastern Europe, that's why they begged and pleaded for Russia not to break up the Soviet Union, I distinctly remember the Eastern Germans frantically trying to replace the bricks on the Berlin wall as the Soviet Union fell because they were so depressed Russia was leaving... :roll:

"Stole"?! Yet another baseless accusation! :evil: What, precisely, did they steal? Oh, that's right - apparently at the end of World War 2, according to those no-doubt unbiased sources in the West (like the U.S. Government, and perhaps General Patton as well), those dastardly "Russkies" carted off everything they could from the Eastern Sector of Germany, and this loot - according to you - was sufficient to keep them going until 1985! Wow, what a load of s**t! Do correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS what you had in mind when you said "stole" wasn't it? No? Was it the supposed "oppression" post-war? I guess you don't know that not only is Russia the most ethnically diverse nation in existence, but it was even more so when it was the Soviet Union and, what's more, they have now (and had even more back then) an overabundance of natural resources. Everything from timber, to oil, to diamonds, to gas, titanium, gold, nickel, lead, uranium - hell, just about everything you can think of they have! Yet, you claim they owed their wealth to the Eastern half of Europe. The Warsaw Pact existed as a deterrent to N.A.T.O., having been formed in 1955 (1949 for N.A.T.O.), and without which the USSR would have been far more insecure (we're now living with the result of the end of the Warsaw Pact - chaos and war around the globe, the encirclement of Russia by hostile forces, terrorism, and a whole host of other problems).

The USSR was second until 1985 and not after that precisely because of the supremely idiotic "reforms" of that imbecilic twit Mikhail Gorbachev and his pathetic attempts to mimic the West with his "glasnost" and "perestroika" programmes. Yes, that turned out really well didn't it. :roll:

The other links you provide do not call into question any of the claims I made. The first one just sends me to a whole list of maps of Europe (under Google images if I recall correctly), with no commentary, and nothing else.

Is this the very best you can do? :roll:

The only response to your lack of evidence is: If you hate the West so much move out of Australia. Have a nice day, comrade.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:31 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_largest_historical_GDP

Notice on that chart the Soviets were the 2nd largest economy in 1985, a decade later and beyond Russia is nowhere to be found...hmm, wonder were all that economy went, oh yeah probably the half of Europe they dominated and stole from. But you're right, I'm wrong, the Soviets were all s**ts and giggles for Eastern Europe, that's why they begged and pleaded for Russia not to break up the Soviet Union, I distinctly remember the Eastern Germans frantically trying to replace the bricks on the Berlin wall as the Soviet Union fell because they were so depressed Russia was leaving... :roll:

"Stole"?! Yet another baseless accusation! :evil: What, precisely, did they steal? Oh, that's right - apparently at the end of World War 2, according to those no-doubt unbiased sources in the West (like the U.S. Government, and perhaps General Patton as well), those dastardly "Russkies" carted off everything they could from the Eastern Sector of Germany, and this loot - according to you - was sufficient to keep them going until 1985! Wow, what a load of s**t! Do correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS what you had in mind when you said "stole" wasn't it? No? Was it the supposed "oppression" post-war? I guess you don't know that not only is Russia the most ethnically diverse nation in existence, but it was even more so when it was the Soviet Union and, what's more, they have now (and had even more back then) an overabundance of natural resources. Everything from timber, to oil, to diamonds, to gas, titanium, gold, nickel, lead, uranium - hell, just about everything you can think of they have! Yet, you claim they owed their wealth to the Eastern half of Europe. The Warsaw Pact existed as a deterrent to N.A.T.O., having been formed in 1955 (1949 for N.A.T.O.), and without which the USSR would have been far more insecure (we're now living with the result of the end of the Warsaw Pact - chaos and war around the globe, the encirclement of Russia by hostile forces, terrorism, and a whole host of other problems).

The USSR was second until 1985 and not after that precisely because of the supremely idiotic "reforms" of that imbecilic twit Mikhail Gorbachev and his pathetic attempts to mimic the West with his "glasnost" and "perestroika" programmes. Yes, that turned out really well didn't it. :roll:

The other links you provide do not call into question any of the claims I made. The first one just sends me to a whole list of maps of Europe (under Google images if I recall correctly), with no commentary, and nothing else.

Is this the very best you can do? :roll:

The only response to your lack of evidence is: If you hate the West so much move out of Australia. Have a nice day, comrade.

My "lack of evidence"? To what? Your patently false claims about Russia/the USSR? In effect you cannot address the issues I raised here, this being the reason for the juvenile "comrade" comment. Well yes, "have a nice day" in the alternative reality you apparently inhabit.