Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 6:34 pm

Well looks like I have gotten that dishwashing job I've mentioned being interviewed for in other posts. Doesn't start quite yet, and there will be training first but yeah I didn't think I'd find something so quick. I am certainly nervous about if I will do well or not though. Never really had a great job experience in my very limited experience thus far. But yeah I'll start out washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom, sweeping, mopping and help some with prep cook(though eventually I may learn more cooking stuff). But yeah seems like a pretty cool place, so excited and nervous at the same time. Plus I gotta figure out when I have to notify SSI and how much I can make before they start cutting my benefits.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:04 pm

Congratulations, I hope this works out well for you! In an earlier post you sounded to have a considerable interest in working with plants, and a natural talent for it, something that might also be an option at some point in the future, perhaps?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:11 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Congratulations, I hope this works out well for you! In an earlier post you sounded to have a considerable interest in working with plants, and a natural talent for it, something that might also be an option at some point in the future, perhaps?

I do have an interest in that to, but it also occurs to me a lot of the greenhouse jobs are more seasonal, and for the moment I need something more consistent. And I have been interested in food and cooking before, I at one point was thinking of culinary arts school...but that would be more high end anyways, I think burgers and beer is more my thing than some fancy restaurant. But then I will have more money for plants in my free time as well as warhammer miniatures, that I have gotten into painting so that will be good.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:15 pm

Happy for you mate.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 7:10 am

I was guaranteed to get a job like that about a year back from the agency i'm still with but the only reason I rejected the interview was I knew some elements of the job would require alot of customer interaction and it wasn't only to wash pots, pans and dishes but I would be expected to serve as a waiter, work in the bar (it was a restaurant/bar combination on a very busy high street and a very reputable pub dating back to the 1800's) and general management of the whole restaurant, in short it was a general assistant/ pot washer job. The waiter element put me off, seeing the difficulty waiters go through when I go to restaurants is enough to shy me away from those sorts of jobs.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jun 2017, 7:26 am

Good luck, you've come a really long way in the last few years.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 7:29 am

Congratulations, Sweetleaf!

How much will you be making a month?

Basically, if you make over $1,550 a month in gross income, they will cut off your benefits.

It also depends on how much money you get from your parents or other sources.

In simple terms, if you make $500 a month from this job, I believe they would take $65, plus half of $435 ($217.50), which would equal $282.50. That means you would get $452.50 if your SSI is $735. Obviously, check with your social worker about this. It's probably more complicated than this. At least you would be getting about $217 more per month than you would if you don't work.

Have you applied for "Ticket to Work?"

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 01 Jun 2017, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 8:06 am

Scorpius14 wrote:
I was guaranteed to get a job like that about a year back from the agency i'm still with but the only reason I rejected the interview was I knew some elements of the job would require alot of customer interaction and it wasn't only to wash pots, pans and dishes but I would be expected to serve as a waiter, work in the bar (it was a restaurant/bar combination on a very busy high street and a very reputable pub dating back to the 1800's) and general management of the whole restaurant, in short it was a general assistant/ pot washer job. The waiter element put me off, seeing the difficulty waiters go through when I go to restaurants is enough to shy me away from those sorts of jobs.

Oh damn that would be a lot...back when I was 17 I got a job at a restaurant/bar type place as a waitress, or more like waitress, washing bar dishes, cleaning, taking orders, clearing off tables and cleaning them, running the cash register when people paid and trying to keep track of all the orders I had. It was way too much...But yeah if anything they said I may learn more kitchen/cooking stuff and start doing more of that but they aren't going to put me out front if I don't want to is the impression I get. Well unless its just to clear off a table or clean up out front.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

If you're good at washing dishes and cleaning up in general, you should do okay at this job.

It doesn't seem like they'll put you "out front."

Always make sure your coworkers respect you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 12:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you're good at washing dishes and cleaning up in general, you should do okay at this job.

It doesn't seem like they'll put you "out front."

Always make sure your coworkers respect you.

That would probably be the difficult part, at least knowing what to do if they don't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 12:44 pm

I have found that taking the "doing the job" approach works best for people who want to insult you.

That's how I avoid much social interaction---by at least pretending that I am too busy with work to gossip, or to listen to peoples' idiocy in general.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 1:01 pm

One tactic I use to make myself indispensable is to do a job that everyone else hates to do, and do it well without complaint. In a kitchen, that's usually cleaning the floor drains. It will probably be disgusting the first time, but if done thoroughly and regularly it becomes easy. As I mentioned earlier, the most important thing is to always show up on time.

Also, congratulations! Dishwashing usually leads to prep work, while bussing tables usually leads to waiting tables.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 1:48 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
One tactic I use to make myself indispensable is to do a job that everyone else hates to do, and do it well without complaint. In a kitchen, that's usually cleaning the floor drains. It will probably be disgusting the first time, but if done thoroughly and regularly it becomes easy. As I mentioned earlier, the most important thing is to always show up on time.

Also, congratulations! Dishwashing usually leads to prep work, while bussing tables usually leads to waiting tables.

I don't entirely dislike cleaning bathrooms, so I suppose I can use that to my advantage...though obviously I'd wear gloves. But it is satisfying getting everything all clean.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:03 pm

Uhh, I was supposed to fill out this thing online for the job, and I am having trouble getting logged in for it...didn't write down the password and forgot it. But when I try to reset my password it says I have the wrong email, and now I got 'your IP address has been blocked try again later.' I guess if worse comes to worst I can just talk to them about it tomorrow. I am sure it can be figured out...I think my boyfriend had some similar trouble with something like that for the last job he got to.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 3:14 pm

WOOT!

So, so happy for you!

Congratulations!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 5:54 pm

Yep....definitely call them tomorrow.