Which word do you prefer, disorder or disability?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2017, 1:57 pm

I like to think of it in this manner:

I would consider Myopia a "condition", whilst blindess is a "disability". They are in some ways sort of on the same spectrum.

With ASD/Asperger's, it would all depend on the severity. Is it something you struggle with, but doesn't prevent you from operating? I would call it a condition(or disorder, since it a collection of symptoms). If it's to the severity where it causes you to be unable to do things, I would say that it's a disability. I realize in the US they don't differentiate as far as SSDI goes: if you're diagnosed as on the Spectrum, they call it a disability. But the above comparison (near-sighted vs. blindness and high-functioning Autism vs. Sever Autism) is how I like to categorize things.

razzio
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2017, 2:04 pm

Under the law autism is a disability if you are treated unfairly like in work or wealth fare benefits but in life when you tell people it's a disorder.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:18 pm

I like the word disorder.
Like Raleigh said, I feel disordered.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:47 pm

I tend to go with whatever makes other people happy.

Here's how I classify it:

CONDITION is the umbrella term for deviations from normal.
If the condition impacts you negatively, it becomes a DISORDER.
DISABILITY is determined by how much your disorder interferes with your daily function. But it's not really clear where to draw the line.

So for ASD, all 3 can be correct, depending on the person.

Last edited by 248RPA on 01 Jun 2017, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:48 pm

I am respectfully ordered and capable and find that it puts me at odds with incompetent people.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 3:41 pm

Diasadvantage and usually quite a large one at that. Many of the "co morbid" conditions are pure disabilities/impairments. Yet many of the difficulties autistics face are the result bieng in the wrong time and wrong place (exp. 21st Century America with its emphisis on multitasking and networking and suspicion of the different)

Many of the diffuculties but not all. In a mellow, quiet society lack of multitasking abilities will be a lot less of a disadvantage but will still impair you. In other societies eye contact is considered rude, so no disadvantage there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 3:52 pm

I can't multi-task, it's true.

But, multi-taskers can't give 100%. It's written on their face, that they can't concentrate.

All you have to do is put other cares aside, and they will say you are gifted.

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 11:32 am

An advantage.

cerebration
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2017, 12:01 pm

"I" would in general say that I am more able than most! Some would describe that as not being ordinary...

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:09 pm

Gimme a break. :roll:

There is no difference, either is applicable and both are absolutely TRUE.

The autistic brain is physically miswired, so that our perceptions of the world are askew from (roughly) 99% of the human population's perceptions. Our brains operate in DISORDER. If that were not true, you would function just like everyone else and everything NTs do would make perfect sense. The fact that the NT world generally doesn't make a lot of sense to us, is because our brains aren't organized in the same way. To the normal way of thinking, our minds are in DISORDER.

If you didn't have a DISABILITY, you would be able to function just like everybody else, social interactions would be a breeze, and you'd pick up on nonverbal cues without even realizing you were doing it. You'd never be excluded or fired from a job for being odd or difficult, you'd form healthy relationships and live happily ever after.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:22 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
I can't multi-task, it's true.

But, multi-taskers can't give 100%. It's written on their face, that they can't concentrate.

All you have to do is put other cares aside, and they will say you are gifted.

I have known many people who thrive on multitasking. They are as flustered when they are not doing numorous things at once as I am trying to do two things at once. The world has accepted the technology driven dramatic increase in multitasking for a reason.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:31 pm

Quote:
The autistic brain is physically miswired, so that our perceptions of the world are askew from (roughly) 99% of the human population's perceptions.

After a few times, I know what other people will do and say, within a reasonable degree of accuracy. They are not making decisions, they are being triggered.

I am conscious of how I come across to others but have a different set of priorities.

I believe that autism has to do with prioritization.

I don't mean to minimize the difficulties of other people, but am finding that they are highly intelligent and can come in and out of it.

I am not a formal expert. It's my life experience, and aimho.

Quote:
I have known many people who thrive on multitasking. They are as flustered when they are not doing multiple things at once as I am trying to do two things at once.

They probably, always have neurotic facial wear, and eyes, which go in different directions, when they talk to you. Some of these tics are associated with lying, but their body will be showing, externally, that their mind is in several places, at once. Probably not the person to paint on the grain of rice or perform neurosurgery. Watch, when they move, if you're sharp. See how they use a pen.

I'm situationally-aware.

The other person's situation is not necessarily my situation, my problem, or my priority.

But, I am aware of myself and others.

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 2:16 pm

Personally I don't care for either. Its a difference.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

I've never thought about it. I just refer to it as "Autism".

Condition makes it sound as though it's temporary, something that can be fixed. I don't believe that to be an apt description. Applying any of its synonyms would just make it sound ridiculous.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 9:07 am

What the heck?

Put 'em both in my shopping basket! :D

I could use both a disorder, and a disability!

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2017, 3:49 am

i prefer the term disorder. i feel like the word disability is a way to explain someone who can't take care of themselves, someone who needs 24 hour care.