Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2017, 1:05 am

I have a question and I am not sure which forum I am supposed to ask this in. Moderator, please move if necessary.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers in mid 2012 at the age of 45. I also have several other mental and physical conditions resulting from childhood. I already have SSI. So I applied for SSDI under my fathers name due to the fact I have been disabled since childhood. I have a few failed work attempts since the age of 22 but have not made enough work credits on my own to qualify for SSDI which is why I am applying under my father.

My question is: What part of "I am applying for SSDI under my father, I am not applying for SSDI under myself.", sounds confusing to the typical attorney and Social Security worker? They tell me I have been turned down because I had significant employment (which happened before the age of 22. less than 2 years worth). Or they tell me I might be turned down because I don't have enough work credits on my own. What do my measly work credits have to do with being turned down under my father?

Note: Social Security says my disability has to have happened before the age of 22.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 11:10 am

Where you officially diagnosed with anything as a child?

According to that link in the post above seems like you would have had to have been diagnosed as a child to get SSDI based on your parents...or would have to gain more work credits somehow.

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2017, 6:07 pm

Supposedly my doctor, when I was a toddler, told my mother to lock me up in an institution because I was ret*d and would never learn to read, write, speak sensibly or even learn how to dress myself. Thank you both for your comments and I will look at the link you have provided BTDT.