Andrew Faust: The Evolution of Ecological Consciousness

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 12:48 am

This was a fascinating video. The author did sort of meander all over the place but I think the real gist and take away:

Plants and biomass can be used not only for absorbing and processing out carcinogens and other pollutants in the air in cities and at waste treatment plants but they could also be used as heat syncs in urban areas and could even offer stabilization for water flow during storms and reduce excess strain on sewer systems.

It may get a bit too dreamy in some places but I still felt like I learned a fair amount in listening. this after watching a 2013 or 2014 video of Dr. John D. Liu discussing re-greening desertified lands and citing the epic success of the 2009 re-greening of the Loess Plateau in China through berms and reservoirs, resting the land for several years from grazing, etc. - also a very good video to watch.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin