Which social rules do you find don't make sense?

Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 10:01 pm

^ Some people think they're the moral authority. If you're not a cop or a judge, you have no authority.

A lot of the time "morality" is just projecting your own tastes onto someone else. E.g. a priest who dislikes alcohol will tell his congregation that alcohol is forbidden while a priest who likes alcohol will his congregation alcohol is ok.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:04 pm

^ Some people think they're the moral authority. If you're not a cop or a judge, you have no authority.

cops and judges have legal authority. they do not have moral authority.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 4:01 am

Then who has moral authority?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 8:33 pm

Then who has moral authority?
__________________________________________________________________________________

nobody has moral authority.

legal does not mean moral.

different states have different laws. laws change with time.

an Executive Order made the Japanese go to Japanese Internment Camp at Manzanar during World War II. that did not make Japanese Internment Camps moral. just legal. and legally mandated.

slavery was legal at the time.

Jim Crow Laws were the law. now that kind of law is called racial discrimination.

judges and cops have a wide discretion over which defendant they label as "guilty" or "not guilty". likewise, judges have a wide discretion over what sentences they assign the defendant.

for example, former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner got convicted of rape. the judge gave him 3 months in jail.

however, other defendants convicted of the same crime, got a much larger sentence.

it does not follow that the sentences all the defendants got were moral.

besides, defendants with more money hire more expensive lawyers. defendants with less money do not have that option.

in court, it is pretty much just a competition.

:twisted:

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 8:00 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
_______________________________________________________________________________________
STEM jobs are just so much more functional and useful than social sciences and humanities. and I say that, even though I majored in Cognitive Science.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Well, I had problems trying to find a job in IT. If they're so stable then why is it that each one requires x amount of skills with y years of experience.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 4:08 pm

OhioStateDolphins wrote:
elbows off the table when eating.

This actually makes sense now because when you eat with elbows on table, the other person next to you will keep bumping your arm while they are eating. It also gets in the way too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

Social rules...

A Wolf doesn't follow rules, he makes them.

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 7:48 pm

One social rule that doesn't make sense is the expectation that a person has to schmooze in the workplace. I'm generally respectful and will greet people with "Good Morning" and "Hello," but I generally don't want to chat while I'm working. I have my own distractions to deal with, I don't need any others that aren't work-related.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 8:27 pm

Exceledon, I agree with you!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jul 2018, 6:32 pm

I'm such an Aspie that I don't even know what most social rules are so I cant pick one that makes the least sense.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 7:18 am

Schmoozing is expected unfortunately

Red89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2018, 8:24 am

I find the "social rules" in the workplace don't make a lot of sense. Unfortunately there's a lot more to it than turn up, do your work and go home. If only it was that straightforward. :)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:47 am

In the work environment two rules that don't make sense to me:

1. You are expected to go to celebrate the events of your boss and other co-workers but when it's your turn they make no time for you. When you express how hurt and disappointed you were, the boss, co-workers either make excuses or become extremely defensive.
2. The boss can get gifts along with honoring their employees for special accomplishments such as weddings, baby showers, etc or rather be there for them if they are in the hospital for a certain surgery. If they don't like a certain employee, however, they overlook them and just ignore their situation - I find that to be so rude and baffling being that everyone should be treated equally.
3. People who say they are going to hire you but are turned off by something about you but rather than being honest, they keep doing things like postponing the start date or having or bothering to communicate. Rather, you are the one who is always calling them. Employers like this make me so mad because they get our hopes up.

In terms of friendships:
1. You have to be in a certain age group just to be accepted
2. People who give your friends ago to you attending their parties and other get-togethers and are as nice to you as can be but then rip on you behind your back to your friend about your flaws and how they dislike you
3. People who don't want to come to your gatherings but show up feeling miserable and giving off negative vibes and still expect you as the host to be okay with it.

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 11:53 am

Red89 wrote:
I find the "social rules" in the workplace don't make a lot of sense. Unfortunately there's a lot more to it than turn up, do your work and go home. If only it was that straightforward. :)

Yeah, if only. People will take umbrage at the notion that I don't want to talk to them, like it's something personal. This society really loves to shame a person for being a solitary individual.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 6:19 pm

ExceladonCity wrote:
Red89 wrote:

Yeah, if only. People will take umbrage at the notion that I don't want to talk to them, like it's something personal. This society really loves to shame a person for being a solitary individual.

Others that don't make sense to me are:
1. If you sit at your desk at lunchtime, that implies that you are "Anti-social."
2. You're not allowed to state the obvious or people use sarcasm with you or make snide remarks
3. You have to dress and look more like the role of your gender to get talked to or you have to look professional or people will ignore you. (I am a woman: long hair, dresses or feminine wear with make-up)
4. You can't ask a woman if she is pregnant

Red89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2018, 6:58 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
ExceladonCity wrote:
Red89 wrote:

Others that don't make sense to me are:
1. If you sit at your desk at lunchtime, that implies that you are "Anti-social."
2. You're not allowed to state the obvious or people use sarcasm with you or make snide remarks
3. You have to dress and look more like the role of your gender to get talked to or you have to look professional or people will ignore you. (I am a woman: long hair, dresses or feminine wear with make-up)
4. You can't ask a woman if she is pregnant

Another good one is to 'never correct your boss'. Unfortunately I learned that rule the hard way in my late teens. 8O