Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2017, 4:20 am

Because of the different thinking patterns and mental states.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 5:39 am

Yes, very common. Many members here have at least 2 other comorbids.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 6:13 am

Since a diagnosis for autism relies on two or more social, communication and repetitive routines, there is a likelihood of related comorbids like anxiety, obsessive compulsions and depression.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 9:15 am

Yes. Depression and anxiety disorders are the most common ones.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 9:18 am

Here is my signature line at another forum:

| manic-depressive with psychotic tendencies (1977) | chronic alcoholism (1981) | Asperger burnout (2010) | mood disorder - nos / personality disorder - nos / generalized anxiety disorder (2011) | chronic back pain / peripheral neuropathy / partial visual impairment |

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

Anxiety and depression are probably the most common.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 6:34 am

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=333967

According to this poll, the most common comorbid for WP members is Depression. The next is a tie between Generalised Anxiety and Social Anxiety. The third most common is AD/HD.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2017, 6:44 am

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 8:54 am

Epilepsy/seizure disorders are also fairly common, especially among people who are more severely affected, although mildly affected people with Asperger's can also have a seizure disorder.

rcsf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2017, 9:44 am

Ya, it's very usual aspies to have comorbid depression, anxiety disorders, ADHD or bipolar disorder developed consequently of their condition. It's easily to them be diagnosed with a disorder than with Asperger or a PDD too.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 12:36 pm

I have yet to meet an aspie that doesn't have some kind of comorbidity. Most autistic people experience an anxiety disorder at some point of their life as well as mood disorders. Seems to come with the territory of having a brain that makes living in this world very stressful. And if that's not bad enough, many of us experience isolation and bullying which is sure to affect your mental wellbeing. It's hard to maintain your mental health when you find it difficult to communicate your feelings to others and others find it difficult to understand you. That would f**k anyone up.

It's not uncommon for us to have other conditions such as dyslexia, ADHD and dyspraxia and there is a possibility that some of the genetic markers related to other conditions are also related to autism.

I personally have ADHD and a history of anxiety and depression on top of my autism. It makes therapy especially complicated because a lot of the traditional methods can be less effective for someone with my set of difficulties. It takes a lot of readjusting and trying lots of things to find the balance around everything.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 8:23 am

I'm an aspie who has no comorbibity.
Anxiety and depression didn't stick at my case. Even if I kept failing or screwing up, it didn't came back. It rarely ever comes back, and it never ever lasts like any usual human ups and downs.
I spent more time without it than with it.

Am I the only one?! :x Perhaps it's outrageously rare if there's another. :|

Every aspie I meet and seen online has comorbidity. It's no surprise to me as I had been there at one point.
I do understand, except I have no idea how to help nor have enough knowledge to offer. Nor had been in such state, that I had practically forgot the feeling.

Every autistics I met in real life are too young, or perhaps at my age yet too 'low functioning' or has special needs. I never met any aspie.
And so many things I understand and yet again, no idea what to say or tell. There were those parts I could afford having when others would rather not have (sensitivity for example). Then there are things I never get through, that I only kept wondering about it. (clumsiness, fear...)

I would like meet one who isn't, and see how deep he or she gotten into such life... :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jul 2017, 4:53 am

I have alot because of the environment I grew up in. I have disabilities besides Aspergers that noone including my own family really understood. I was bullied alot as a kid & even my own parents were very critical of my Aspie quirks & other issues. I have Dyslexia, ADD, OCD, anxiety, panic disorder, possibly alittle bit of a delusional disorder, & I've been through a bad psychotic depression before.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:13 am

A lot of us, because we get so much crap from people for being autistic, have anxiety and depression. It is unfair to blame it on our thinking patterns as though they are always inferior. Or as though we don't really have anxiety and depression, we don't have feelings, we just have autism. That is WRONG. We have feelings like everyone else, for reasons like everyone else. It's just harder sometimes for us to find the reasons or for others to find the reasons in us because sometimes we're different.

lgm23
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2017, 12:56 am

Yes it is very common, I have comorbid ADD, generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder and it's been suggested that I be evaluated for some form of OCD.

Diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD

adorkablegeekgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2017, 5:25 am

Very common indeed, for reasons already addressed by others out here. It's a tough life for an aspie.
On top of Asperger's, I was professionally diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and ADHD. (Though I'm not 100% sure that last one wasn't a mistake in my case.)
When I was younger, before they knew about the Asperger's (I was diagnosed in my late teens), they called it "gifted with a sensory processing disorder." Which is true. But it's kind of leaving stuff out.

(As a side note, I find it curious that a lot of us seem to like and find comfort in labels, and seem to be okay with being open about it. In my opinion, that's a great way to fight the stigmas against mental illness and disability, but I've had a lot of people disagree with me and criticize me for it too...)