Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

adorkablegeekgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2017, 5:25 am

Very common indeed, for reasons already addressed by others out here. It's a tough life for an aspie.
On top of Asperger's, I was professionally diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and ADHD. (Though I'm not 100% sure that last one wasn't a mistake in my case.)
When I was younger, before they knew about the Asperger's (I was diagnosed in my late teens), they called it "gifted with a sensory processing disorder." Which is true. But it's kind of leaving stuff out.

(As a side note, I find it curious that a lot of us seem to like and find comfort in labels, and seem to be okay with being open about it. In my opinion, that's a great way to fight the stigmas against mental illness and disability, but I've had a lot of people disagree with me and criticize me for it too...)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:42 pm

Yup! I've got OCD, possibly some tic disorder (probably transient tic disorder), and I have traits of ADHD. My OCD also makes me quite depressed sometimes, but I wouldn't consider it clinical depression because it's caused by the OCD and immediately goes away once I get reassurance.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 12:01 am

IstominFan wrote:
Anxiety and depression are probably the most common.

Oliver Sacks, an outspoken psychologist (and a good one), said comorbities have a triad: ADHD, OCD, and tics. I should know; I have all 3!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 5:27 am

I think that in some cases, co-morbid can be a bit of a misleading label. A lot of anxiety and depression people on the spectrum feel is a reaction to how they are treated, - bullying for example, exclusion, and stigmatisation - rather than strictly intrinsic conditions which directly stem from AS. Rather than society acknowledging the mistreatment of AS people, it is easier to label the consequences always as "co-morbid". I think we need to look more closely at other antecedents of the outcomes of depression and anxiety for people on the spectrum. It becomes all too easy to keep on blaming the victims in a blanket way with blanket assumptions, which researchers usually don't even question.