Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2017, 5:35 pm

Hey I was wondering if anyone had experience with these.

Like the rdx drives and the data cartridges/tapes.

I was wondering how good they are for data storage?

Are they rewritable? etc?

I've been looking into getting one but unsure how it works. Is it like an external hardrive where
I plug it in and put the cartridge in etc? or what?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 5:45 pm

Quote:
RDX is a disk-based removable storage format developed by ProStor Systems Incorporated in 2004. In May 2011, Tandberg Data GmbH acquired the RDX business from ProStor Systems...
RDX cartridges are shock-proof 2.5-inch Serial ATA hard disk drives and are advertised to sustain a 1 meter (39 in) drop onto a concrete floor and to offer an archival lifetime up to 30 years and transfer up to 650GB/hr.

RDX Technology

Nothing really new there, just a somewhat-bulletproof replacement for tape. Other than the bulletproof part, you can do essentially the same with any hard drive and an USB adapter.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

I'd also recommend going with a traditional hard drive/drives, and an external usb or sata adapter. The price for a hard drive is slightly cheaper than RDX media, not to mention having to purchase a RDX drive to read the media. That said, the RDX is tape based and will have a longer lifespan than the mechanical hard drive, so if long term storage (decades) is what you're looking for RDX is the way to go. As far as I know RDX media is not WORM (write once, read many).