Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

It seems like every trans person is trying to shove their gender pronouns down people's throats without bothering to earn anyone's respect as evidenced by videos like this one from YouTuber Pop and Olly:

As if it wasn't obvious enough already, YouTubers like The Satiratician are calling out on these multi-gendered people for their crass and self-entitled behavior.

Personally I have nothing against these people or the ideas behind these alternative genders (or the gender spectrum as most people would call it) but to me a gender pronoun is EARNED, not given. You want me to call you by your preferred gender pronoun? Then be a good, tolerant and kind person and then we'll talk. 'Till then I'm gonna continue calling you "he/she" until you become a good friend.

You might be asking yourself, 'what does this have to with politics, religion or philosophy?'

Well...Everything. These self-entitled, multi-gendered douchebags are manipulating our whole society as we know it; our entertainment, our movies, heck even our politics!

When will these people learn not act like as*holes!?

-Thomas Jefferson

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 11:48 pm

Its all too 21st century for me.

I don't understand anything either the videos, or you, are talking about! Lol!

Its like watching a political debate on Planet Pluto. Lol!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 11:58 pm

Lol how is it 'earned'? if someone identifies as a female, male or in between somewhere I will refer to them as what they want to be called they know themselves better than I do most likely. Now I would be bothered if I got it wrong and they went into an assault of verbal abuse...but if someone tells me what they identify is I am not going to purposely call them something else to piss them off. I respect peoples identities.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 12:58 am

sounds like more trouble than it's worth, especially if we're talking about strangers.

just call them what they want, and go on with your day. noone gets hurt.

asking when you don't know might be a touchy area, but that is where i would ask a friend if they were in reach. :shrug:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jun 2017, 7:29 am

To me, a name is earned, not given. If you want me to call you by your name rather than "that thing over there", then be a good, tolerant, kind person.

If you won't unconditionally call someone by their preferred pronoun (assuming it's fairly reasonable), then frankly you're the one being a bad, intolerant, unkind as*hole.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:52 am

I think it would be easier if gender was ruled irrelevant. That a universal pronoun replaced all others. No more he she boy girl mr miss etc. All clothing, jewelry, makeup etc was genderless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 8:01 am

I like it that there are women who look like women. It's easy on the eyes and delicious like candy :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 8:20 am

It doesn't mean I disdain androgyny, by the way. People have the right to be the gender of their choice.

Freck2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2017, 8:26 am

That is incorrect. If someone introduces himself as "Bill" and you say, "I'm going to call you William until I know you better, until you earn the name Bill," you are being incredibly rude. What's the difference?

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Personally I have nothing against these people or the ideas behind these alternative genders (or the gender spectrum as most people would call it) but

"I'm not transphobic, but..."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

I didn't earn the right to call this guy Bill:

I knew a guy at work back in the 1980s. His name was William. He demanded that we call him William. One day, on a lark, I decided to see how he'd react if I called him Bill. He reacted all right. He threw a cup of hot coffee on me.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2017, 6:18 pm

gender = binary.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:25 pm

So...if you have a baby- your baby has to "earn" the right to be given a name?

And there are public figures in the world whom I cant stand like Bashir Assad of Syria (for example). But I don't begrunge Assad both a proper noun (his name "Bashir Assad"), and any gender related pronouns used to refer to him. Like he, him, and his, etc. . He isn't a nice guy, but he is still entitled to both a proper name, and to proper gender pronouns when you talk about him.

So I cant make head nor tails out of what the issue is that the OP is on about.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Lol how is it 'earned'? if someone identifies as a female, male or in between somewhere I will refer to them as what they want to be called they know themselves better than I do most likely. Now I would be bothered if I got it wrong and they went into an assault of verbal abuse...but if someone tells me what they identify is I am not going to purposely call them something else to piss them off. I respect peoples identities.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
sounds like more trouble than it's worth, especially if we're talking about strangers.

just call them what they want, and go on with your day. noone gets hurt.

asking when you don't know might be a touchy area, but that is where i would ask a friend if they were in reach. :shrug:

The_Walrus wrote:
To me, a name is earned, not given. If you want me to call you by your name rather than "that thing over there", then be a good, tolerant, kind person.

If you won't unconditionally call someone by their preferred pronoun (assuming it's fairly reasonable), then frankly you're the one being a bad, intolerant, unkind as*hole.

EzraS wrote:
I think it would be easier if gender was ruled irrelevant. That a universal pronoun replaced all others. No more he she boy girl mr miss etc. All clothing, jewelry, makeup etc was genderless.

kraftiekortie wrote:
It doesn't mean I disdain androgyny, by the way. People have the right to be the gender of their choice.

Freck2 wrote:
That is incorrect. If someone introduces himself as "Bill" and you say, "I'm going to call you William until I know you better, until you earn the name Bill," you are being incredibly rude. What's the difference?

MushroomPrincess wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Personally I have nothing against these people or the ideas behind these alternative genders (or the gender spectrum as most people would call it) but

"I'm not transphobic, but..."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn't earn the right to call this guy Bill:

I knew a guy at work back in the 1980s. His name was William. He demanded that we call him William. One day, on a lark, I decided to see how he'd react if I called him Bill. He reacted all right. He threw a cup of hot coffee on me.

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
gender = binary.

-Thomas Jefferson

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 8:32 pm

Well, the OP is transgender (M2F)----so, I don't understand this rant. You posted that your parents had trouble accepting your transition----did they tell you your gender had to be EARNED----is that why you're holding others, to the same standard (cuz you figure if you had to do it, then they do too)?

If that's what you're doing----how could you, when you know how difficult it has been with your parents not being accepting of you? Are you bitter because of this, and figure that now you'll screw-it-to others?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 10:13 pm

IDK-- I get the frustration with the continual attitude of, "yesterday I was female, today I'm male, tomorrow I might be demigirl... But I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL IF YOU DON'T USE THE RIGHT PRONOUN!!" One of my daughter's longstanding friends is a transmale (or F2M, or whatever term I'm 'supposed' to use this week) who cannot transition due to a bleeding disorder (thus, elective surgery is heavily discouraged). He has taken a lot of abuse in the last couple years-- not from his parents, and not even so much from conservative Christian or stereotypical redneck peers, but mostly from Pronoun People who don't think he's "trans enough." Really?? Trans enough?? He's 15 years old; he's been struggling with this since puberty (that I know of). "Trans enough"?? Gag me with a pronoun.

I'm honestly very close to being asexual, aromantic, and androgynous (except I have this problem with wanting kids, and to be a mom/parent (except I mother more like my father than most mothers), and to have companionship in the form of "a friend I can keep," which means a significant other, which means sex...). Have been, basically, for as long as I can remember. I could see myself, if I were a young person now, trying on label after label after label until I found one that "fit." I did that with religions for a while-- I was a Baptist, no Church of Christ, no agnostic, no nondenominational Christian, no Pagan, no Unitarian Universalist... Until I finally decided it was all a bit silly, there probably wasn't a box I fit completely inside, and I would just call myself "a believer, one who goes around believing in things" or "a universal apostate." Seems similar to me, and I'm too old to play musical genders with myself, so... screw it, I'm an autistic woman with a very low sex drive, severe proximity defensiveness, lame frumpy unfeminine clothes, and a crappy unfeminine personality.

I'm all for acceptance for as many genders as they want to dream up, or the idea that gender should be a spectrum instead of a binary, or just throwing out the boxes and the "should be's" and behavioral and personality dictums based on genitalia. BUT. If you are going to change your identification every few days/weeks, no, you don't have a right to howl "Transphobia!! Microaggression!!" every time someone uses last week's pronoun or the one you were using the last time they knew you. If you are going to "transition" that often, yeah, you probably gotta be a little cool with the fact that not everyone is gonna be able to keep up all the time.