Artists That Make Me Feel Aspie Pride (Playlist)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

rolliespring
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jun 2017, 2:13 pm

Hi!
So, I'm really really into music, movies and TV. I'm really into celebrities because a lot of what they express is out in the open to us and it's really easy to identify yourself with one (which feels good). Unhealthy or not, I wanna share my favorite artists that make me feel really proud to be aspie. Sometimes life is hard for me, I constantly feel unwanted and 'weird' and I know how people have felt being around me (not pleasant, lots of confusion) and so it makes me realize every day how the world has not yet caught up with accepting us as we are.

I want to be proud; some days it's hard. This playlist/these artists mean all the difference to me! Some artists I love have been more open about their autism (like Gary Numan or David Byrne) while others have me really suspicious because of their lyrics/overall personality (Danny Elfman wrote some home-hitting tracks with Oingo Boingo and Bjork just....is straight up aspie, sorry) but they've moved me either way. What are some songs/artists that make you feel 'cool' and proud to be aspie? What songs or artists 'get' you the most???

Fav aspie-vibing artists:
Danny Elfman
David Byrne
Bjork
John Linnell
Gary Numan
Su Tissue
Mark Mothersbaugh
Thom Yorke

"Aspie Afternoon" Playlist
"Patterns" by DEVO
"On the Outside" by Oingo Boingo
"Compassion" by Talking Heads
"Answer" by They Might Be Giants
"Flying Saucer Safari" by Suburban Lawns
"Same Man I Was Before" by Oingo Boingo
"Remind Me To Smile" by Gary Numan
"Private Life" by Oingo Boingo
"I'm a Coward" by They Might Be Giants
"Unison" by Bjork
"Myself to Myself" by Romeo Void
"The Book I Read" by Talking Heads
"Conversation" by Gary Numan
"Good to be Alive" by They Might Be Giants
"Identity" by X-Ray Spex
"Who Do You Want To Be" by Oingo Boingo
"Baby" by Suburban Lawns

**There are people online that I've met that believe in "head-canoning" artists as autistic. I'm not sure how to feel about that yet. But I do find immense comfort when I identify an artist's behavior with my own as an autistic person. It inspires me. Just thought I'd note this!

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2017, 5:17 pm

Landed unexpectedly in a hospital once and only had two unread books on my iPad. The first was letters of Beethoven who many believe was an Aspie. "Dear Countess, I am so sorry that I did not recognize you last night and was in such a bad mood. I want to tell you how much your support in the royal court means to me and I promise to be more agreeable the next time." He lived alone, moved constantly and had few acquaintances. The second was letters of Franz Liszt who was outgoing and seemed to know most everyone in Europe. He enjoyed life and lived in a constant social whirl but could only dream of reaching the musical intensity and heights of Beethoven.

rolliespring
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2017, 2:27 pm

I heard about Beethoven probably being aspie!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 3:08 am

rolliespring wrote:
Hi!
So, I'm really really into music, movies and TV. I'm really into celebrities because a lot of what they express is out in the open to us and it's really easy to identify yourself with one (which feels good). Unhealthy or not, I wanna share my favorite artists that make me feel really proud to be aspie. Sometimes life is hard for me, I constantly feel unwanted and 'weird' and I know how people have felt being around me (not pleasant, lots of confusion) and so it makes me realize every day how the world has not yet caught up with accepting us as we are.

I want to be proud; some days it's hard. This playlist/these artists mean all the difference to me! Some artists I love have been more open about their autism (like Gary Numan or David Byrne) while others have me really suspicious because of their lyrics/overall personality (Danny Elfman wrote some home-hitting tracks with Oingo Boingo and Bjork just....is straight up aspie, sorry) but they've moved me either way. What are some songs/artists that make you feel 'cool' and proud to be aspie? What songs or artists 'get' you the most???

Fav aspie-vibing artists:
Danny Elfman
David Byrne
Bjork
John Linnell
Gary Numan
Su Tissue
Mark Mothersbaugh
Thom Yorke

"Aspie Afternoon" Playlist
"Patterns" by DEVO
"On the Outside" by Oingo Boingo
"Compassion" by Talking Heads
"Answer" by They Might Be Giants
"Flying Saucer Safari" by Suburban Lawns
"Same Man I Was Before" by Oingo Boingo
"Remind Me To Smile" by Gary Numan
"Private Life" by Oingo Boingo
"I'm a Coward" by They Might Be Giants
"Unison" by Bjork
"Myself to Myself" by Romeo Void
"The Book I Read" by Talking Heads
"Conversation" by Gary Numan
"Good to be Alive" by They Might Be Giants
"Identity" by X-Ray Spex
"Who Do You Want To Be" by Oingo Boingo
"Baby" by Suburban Lawns

**There are people online that I've met that believe in "head-canoning" artists as autistic. I'm not sure how to feel about that yet. But I do find immense comfort when I identify an artist's behavior with my own as an autistic person. It inspires me. Just thought I'd note this!

Fantastic List. This quirky new wave music came out when I was around your age at a time when nobody had a concept of "Aspie" and the music prior was largely about wealthly bands going from city to city picking up groupies and drugs. "Weird" or "quirky" got you beat up and shunned. When these groups arrived out it really was truly a revelation to me so many ways. I would add the B-52's and Lene Lovitch to this list. It is a shame that many of these acts were and remain obscure. Thanks.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman