Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 10:37 pm

I started avoiding going to situations where people will take photos because of it, and if someone snap a photo of me and specially if they show me I get real mad and sad. I wanted to be comfortable with my own body, but I can't.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 11:23 pm

yeah. for a long time. since junior high school or before, i have avoided looking in the mirror and getting photo taken.

avoided high school yearbook pics. avoided undergrad graduation. avoided middle school graduation. went to high school graduation. precious lil "parents" pressured me.

anyways yeah.

looks are superficial. maybe what's underneath that counts. but of course, plenty of precious lil "people" are materialistic and superficial. they can and will treat you worse, just b/c you do not look the way they want you to look. racism, sexism, homophobia, sizeism, lookism, classism.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Jun 2017, 3:42 am

I used to hate myself on photos. I don't think I'm ugly, just never learned to make the right face to a photo so I always look silly or awkward.
As I age, I started to care less nad less and be more comfortable with whatever happens :)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm

The only truly nice picture I have of myself is my high school senior picture. I hate most pictures taken of me.

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2017, 4:58 pm

This is something I struggle with as well. There has never been a point where I was happy with my entire physical self as a whole. I didn't wear makeup for the majority of high school because I thought "what's the point?" and also because I lacked any makeup skills. My hair has always been unruly, dry and curly to the point where I never could style it, or even iron it due to its insane dryness. I know how to apply makeup now, but I couldn't be bothered to most days. I also have gained quite a bit of weight since high school, so that just makes things worse :(

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

This can be a strange subject.
I'm the same with the avoidance of photos - relatives give me hell for it but I maintain it. No photos of me. I systematically destroyed all photos of me from about the age of 10 up.
I dislike the way I look too and that's a problem, but it's important to me that others dislike the way I look.
Trust me - being sexually attractive to other people can be more of a problem than being unattractive. People seem to believe that physical beauty, whether male or female, is all and always an asset, but it's not. I fixed being physically appealing a few years ago, and life has been much, much better since. I wouldn't pine for attractiveness if I were you.
I believe it's important for you to be ok with your looks, but keep that below the radar of others.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2017, 8:33 pm

I also hate my looks. I can't even go out without hiding behind a hood and cap. I have been like this since i was 13 (i am soon 26).

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 8:38 pm

C2V wrote:
This can be a strange subject.
I'm the same with the avoidance of photos - relatives give me hell for it but I maintain it.
I dislike the way I look too and that's a problem, but it's important to me that others dislike the way I look.
Trust me - being sexually attractive to other people can be more of a problem than being unattractive. People seem to believe that physical beauty, whether male or female, is all and always an asset, but it's not. I fixed being physically appealing a few years ago, and life has been much, much better since. I wouldn't pine for attractiveness if I were you.
I believe it's important for you to be ok with your looks, but keep that below the radar of others.

This.
So much this.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 6:49 am

Good looking people don't look so attractive when they're ill, in pain, angry or pulling a face. If you've got problems then it's going to be written all over your face, but then there's always somebody out there who can relate and find that look attractive, or they'll be intrigued by it.

I think the major problem for a lot of us on the spectrum is that we tend to look a lot younger than we are and don't necessarily pull the right face for the right situation, it's got nothing to do with the size of our noses, shape of our eyes etc.
If you had to be judged on attractiveness alongside 99 other people, but were being judged on photographs of everybody being taken whilst they were asleep, you'd probably score a lot higher than you'd think.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 10:40 pm

I also hate my looks. I can't even go out without hiding behind a hood and cap. I have been like this since i was 13 (i am soon 26).
_____________________________________________________________________________________

yes i do that too.

whenever i leave the jail cell, it has to be shoes and socks. long pants or knee length shorts. usually long sleeves. and a cap. doesn't matter how hot it is. the cap makes me look younger and more masculine. although clothes only alter appearance so much.

yeah and i hate wearing a bra. it gets tight, hot, and uncomfortable.

but, peer pressure

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2017, 9:03 am

I have never liked the way I look, but I had no idea anyone else felt this way. I prefer NOT to have my picture taken but can tolerate it if I have to; likewise I can deal with a mirror if I have to, like to comb my hair, shave, whatever. But then I look at my hair or my chin and avoid the rest. If I am with people and the thought of how I must look to them crosses my mind, I shudder internally and then try to simply put it out of my mind.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.