GAH!! ! Windows 10 Creators Update strikes AGAIN!! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 9:52 am

When the Creators Update was made available, I stupidly went ahead and downloaded/installed it.

On three of my computers it immediately began scrambling my desktop icons. If I tried to move one back to where it belonged, a bunch of others would move too.

I turned those machines back to the previous version of Windows 10. I figured all the bugs would be worked out before a general release.

A few days ago I got a notice one one of the machines saying the Creators Update was ready to be installed, and I should make a "now or later" type choice.

Once it DID install, guess what happened?

Right.

It scrambled my icons all over the screen. I can't find anything I need, and now will likely have to get rid of a bunch of them. (Past experience was that the scrambling didn't happen with fewer icons. How many fewer? I never figured it out.) I tried to restore everything to where it was with the "arrange icons" turned off, and it let me with no problems, but when the computer rebooted everything got scrambled again.

SO stupid. WHY would they release a so-called improvement that wrecks how you use your computer?

I'm going to do some more internet searches to see if anyone has a solution to this yet. (I did note last time I wasn't the only person with the same problem.)

*sigh* :|

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 7:59 pm

I think the issue is that you rolled back to an earlier version of windows- one that had the update downloaded and ready to install, but not yet installed. Hence the notice "ready to install".

I'm guessing that because I froze my w10 before the anniversary update- some programs didn't work anymore after the update, I need them for work, and also: I don't want new features, for crying out loud. I want an operating system that works. without ads. I can't be bothered .... anyway. after I installed the update, noticed that some vital programs stopped working, I rolled back and since got hassled to update -even tough I had disabled the update service- until I deleted the anniversary update installer pack.

I'm considering goingback to 7, or switching to linux. I want safety, not features, and if I can't have one but not the other, ....

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 8:06 pm

Sethno wrote:
... WHY would they release a so-called improvement that wrecks how you use your computer?

Because Micro$oft long ago decided to begin making those decisions for you.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 8:09 pm

shlaifu wrote:
I'm considering going back to 7, or switching to linux...

I still use XP for most things, Win7 when I must and then have LXLE Linux for an occasional break from any-and-all Windows.

avlien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2017, 3:26 pm

I'm really liking the creator's update. The Android integration with phone companion are quite useful imho. Here is a Microsoft support forum post that might solve your problem.

If you are using any edition of Windows above "Home", you can defer updates for a few months. Eventually they will install automatically, but by then they should be relatively bug-free.

If you are using "Enterprise" or "Education" editions, you can enable long term servicing branch (LTSB) of Windows updates. This will defer all feature updates indefinitely (more or less).

Here is an article that enumerates the update options.

note: for the purpose of this conversation "human" = "neurotypical"

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

shlaifu wrote:

I'm considering goingback to 7, or switching to linux. I want safety, not features, and if I can't have one but not the other, ....

I find it completely sad that Win7 is considered a 'Good OS'. The last time that Microsoft made a good OS was back in 2001 when XP was released. --Switch to Linux, you will have safety, stability and sanity.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 10:25 pm

I'm so glad that I mostly deal with the Android OS lol

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 3:28 am

I'd say I'm glad I switched to Linux as my main OS, but I'm honestly getting sick of dealing with it. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to reinstall because of things breaking. Maybe I should switch to a more stable distro.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 5:56 pm

Was just gonna ask about this.

Kept getting bothered by those messages asking me whether I want to update my windows "now or later".

Finnally said yes, and let it update (because I suppose that's what you're supposed to do). Did its thing for an hour or so. Then it was done and my computer ran again.

And nothing seemed to have changed. The desktop is the same etc.

But then I tried to print the PDF of my weekly work schedule sent from my employer showing where and when I work each day of them coming week.

Could not print anything. The computer now doesn't know that there is printer hooked up to it. I try tell it to reinstall the printer but....long story short...the computer only recognizes certain printer models as existing options to choose from. None of them are the printer I have been using successfully on this same computer for months now.

The only thing that has changed was that Windows update thing I did last night. And now I cant use my printer.

So is the update the culprit? Did this updated version of windows 10 make using my old printer impossible? Or was the update just a coincidence?

Anyone have any idea about that?

Apparently there is a 30 day window in which I can "go back to an earlier version of windows 10".

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:27 pm

The more I read about Windows 10, the more relieved I am that I've never signed up to it. I've also noticed a lot of former Win 7 machines that have been upgraded to Win 10 for sale in pawnshops etc, and they're generally priced very cheaply, suggesting they're not at all desirable.

I'd also like to put in a good word for Win 8.1, which I've found to be an excellent and reliable OS over the past three years - I think it's very underrated.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 4:44 am

DeepHour wrote:
The more I read about Windows 10, the more relieved I am that I've never signed up to it. I've also noticed a lot of former Win 7 machines that have been upgraded to Win 10 for sale in pawnshops etc, and they're generally priced very cheaply, suggesting they're not at all desirable.

I suspect there are various factors at play there, but I would guess at least one of the reasons there are some many is because the machines have been taken hostage by Micro$oft and cannot (at least not easily) be returned to running Win7 without first finding a new COA for Win7. Following the Win10 upgrade, the machines' Win7 COAs were converted to Win10 in the Micro$oft verification database and will no longer activate Win7.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 4:50 am

Microsoft made Windows 10 for the Surface tablet. Laptops are desktops are now an after thought for Microsoft.

Microsoft are now trying to copy Apple. Microsoft were at their best when they were different to Apple.