Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2017, 6:35 pm

What would you say are the common eating habits of an Aspie? For me, I eat more than I should. I tend to finish my food before everyone else because I eat fast. I also tend to snack a lot and eat a lot of food that isn't good for me. I do drink water and eat fruits and vegetables, but I'm always craving food. I have put on a lot of weight over the last few years and I am finding it hard to lose any weight. Once I go on a binge, it is hard to stop. Food is on my mind almost all the time. I don't know what to do about this. I am not fat or obese, but I'm not at a weight that I'm comfortable with. I do exercise and I try to eat healthy foods when I can, but I just can't stop eating junk. I also eat fast food more often than I should.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 10:03 pm

eating habits.

during episodes of clinical depression, i sometimes gorge. so much and so often that i rapidly gain a lot of weight. when i was 13, went from 100 to 108 pounds in 3 weeks. and did not get taller. when i was 20, went from 120 to 135 pounds in under 10 weeks. one school quarter. gorged. a lot. binging.

the rest of the time, stay about the same weight. or lose weight.

eating habits obsessive compulsive. past couple years, eat 9 or more servings of fruit/veg per day.

drink 5 daily liters water. and weigh under 110 lb.

love inari sushi. love whoppers (milk chocolate malt balls). love mangos.

used to love Clif bars. but about 2 months ago, i was sitting on a bench outside. as usual. eating a clif bar. when all of a sudden, all 21 grams of sugar went (wham). a kit kat contains 22. it was just too sweet. since then, rarely ate clif bars.

when i was young, used to love jalepinos. but now paranoid of the fat/calories/sodium. and don't like it that much.

love peanut butter.

love tofu.

13-19 used to be vegetarian. lacto ovo. healthwise, no good or bad effects. but it was just too inconvenient. and did not seem like it mattered. so quit.

now, eat about 1 serving meat daily. usually in the form of dumplings. do not particularly like the taste. but, protein. and it just takes too much energy to avoid meat.

Kythe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2017, 12:19 am

I can relate to what you're saying a lot. Eating is definitely a sensory seeking activity for me. It engages multiple senses at once, taste, texture, temperature, plus the act of chewing. It might also be seen as fidgety type behavior because it keeps your hands busy. Sometimes it is very hard to stop and I've gained a ton of weight over the years. I've also gotten into the bad habit of eating to try to keep myself awake so I don't nap during the day. Unfortunately the calories do nothing to help wake me up and it really only helps as long as I'm actively eating. Once I stop eating I pass out. It's possible that I could have some narcolepsy issues and I did read somewhere that people with this sleep disorder will sometimes snack to try to stay awake during the day.

It almost makes me angry in a sense because I had to switch to food as a replacement for self injury because it upset people and I didn't want to be sent back to the hospital, but I'm pretty sure I'd be at a much healthier weight if I still did that stuff. I've tried to ask therapists about replacements for eating, but no one's really been able to come up with anything.

Sometimes just doing something that keeps both of my hands pretty busy helps because there's no free hand to eat with, but other times I'll just alternate between eating and the other activity.

Slug on a Bike
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jul 2018, 7:45 am

I prefer to
eat with my hands.
I can eat otherwise,
for the comfort
of those across the table
but it makes
no
sense to me.

Feeling the food
is as much a thing
as tasting it
for me.

I also eat fast.
Very fast.
Not competition fast, but
I'd beat you.

But
I don't do
LOUD food.
Why do I want
extra sounds in my head?
Corn Nuts
are the chief offenders,
but there are others.
You know
who you are.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jul 2018, 10:41 am

I used to eat only one meal a day as a kid until about 30 due to being a very picky eater who couldn't cook & my mom hated cooking special meals for me all the time so I'd usually only eat one big meal a day. People were worried I would die when I was little cuz of how much I was refusing to eat due to being picky. I'd rather go hungry than eat stuff I don't like. Anyways I would pig out when I would eat if there was enough where I was able to. I started eating 3 meals a day after I moved in with my girlfriend partly due to meds & supplements I'm on & being able to get food I like more. I pig out on snacks too & I gained aLOT of weight cuz of that & my blood sugar & cholesterol are high now & they weren't that bad when I 1st moved here. I really need to binge less & exercise more.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 8:23 am

I personally go back and forth between healthy eating and over doing it. Last year at this time I weighed 165lb (I'm 5'8") and because a series of unfortunate events where I was placed in a couple different institutions like drug rehabs and a mental ward visit, I now weigh 206lbs, but it's my own fault I gained that much.