Depression and Coping with life. *nsfw*

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 2:12 am

I'm extremely depressed and suicidal...

Should I tell my mom? She has been putting off getting a psychiatrist for a while now. Would telling her make her take my problems more seriously?

wtf

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 3:35 am

moving around so much as a young person, constant re-adjusting, is tough especially with autism and then mental illness on top. i know because i had to move around a lot as well in a similar age range as you have, but i wasn't nearly as rational about helping myself as you are, i think. and i think you should tell your mother, but phrase it gently at first and see if she takes the bait. maybe don't straight up say you are currently suicidal, as that could really frighten her, but say something like you've not been feeling well at all/you need to see a psych before things get worse/anything bad
happens/...
if she doesn't realize the gravity of the situation then you should tell her bluntly, and deal with the parental reaction however it comes. bottom line is, if you did kill yourself it would hurt them so much worse than if you tell them and get the help you need.

you're a really smart guy. probably one of the reasons your girlfriend likes you :)
but i have to add that mental illness issues aren't linearly related to how bad-to-good someone's life is. you're not weak.

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 3:54 am

seaweed wrote:
moving around so much as a young person, constant re-adjusting, is tough especially with autism and then mental illness on top. i know because i had to move around a lot as well in a similar age range as you have, but i wasn't nearly as rational about helping myself as you are, i think. and i think you should tell your mother, but phrase it gently at first and see if she takes the bait. maybe don't straight up say you are currently suicidal, as that could really frighten her, but say something like you've not been feeling well at all/you need to see a psych before things get worse/anything bad
happens/...
if she doesn't realize the gravity of the situation then you should tell her bluntly, and deal with the parental reaction however it comes. bottom line is, if you did kill yourself it would hurt them so much worse than if you tell them and get the help you need.

you're a really smart guy. probably one of the reasons your girlfriend likes you :)
but i have to add that mental illness issues aren't linearly related to how bad-to-good someone's life is. you're not weak.

Thanks! I was thinking about deleting this because I didn't think anybody would want to respond to my info dump rant.
seaweed wrote:
and i think you should tell your mother, but phrase it gently at first and see if she takes the bait. maybe don't straight up say you are currently suicidal, as that could really frighten her, but say something like you've not been feeling well at all/you need to see a psych before things get worse/anything bad
happens/...
if she doesn't realize the gravity of the situation then you should tell her bluntly, and deal with the parental reaction however it comes.

This is great advice, I will definitely approach the situation like that. One thing I forgot to add is that my parents are very religious, and I worry that they will just tell me to pray it away. If they do say that then I will bluntly tell them.

wtf

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 4:49 pm

OP, I haven't removed your opening post as people have responded to it, though I have edited it for you to delete your personal history, and moved it to this forum which is a more protected venue for suicidal feelings, feedback and support.

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 11:44 pm

B19 wrote:
OP, I haven't removed your opening post as people have responded to it, though I have edited it for you to delete your personal history, and moved it to this forum which is a more protected venue for suicidal feelings, feedback and support.

Thanks. I felt like all that background info was unnecessary.

wtf