strange feeling after drinking coffee

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

blueskyandsun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2017, 5:20 am

I hear people say all the time that they need coffee to 'wake up', to get more energy or for better concentration. But the strange thing is, I never experienced that feeling. Sometimes I just don't feel anything at all, but more often I get an extremely tired feeling (directly after drinking it). I have the same feeling when I am stressed. Even when I was a kid, when I was stressed for a sports event for example, I would suddenly feel extremely 'lifeless' and all I wanted to do was lay on the couch. Is there something wrong with me? I do not know anyone who has the same problems... Except that I know that people with ADHD also react different to caffeine, but I know for sure that don't have that since I tried methylphenidate (adhd drugs) once.

Can it be related to autism or something? Or maybe food-related? (Since stress and coffee both can cause more bowel activity)

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 6:20 am

Again another one of those things where it effects people differently. But i dont ''wake up'' with coffee, it actually increases my anxiety and causes shakes as well as nausea pangs.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

Can't say I've ever felt more awake after drinking coffee either, but I do think the all-prevailing belief that it does do this leads to reliance, anyway. I've had to wean myself off coffee after taking a look at my diet some time ago. Realised I was using coffee as my main source of hydration throughout the entire day. :/ As an insomniac, it probably sounds odd that I knew it wasn't keeping me awake - just likely interfering with the quality of what sleep I could manage. Another issue I've had for several years now are mildly uncomfortable chest pains that I've researched could be related to caffeine abuse, though I can't say this with conviction as my symptoms could also be from stress, depression or anxiety - nonetheless, I do think I've suffered less episodes since cutting down, so it could again be a case of coffee being very much capable of exacerbating side effects from existing conditions.
Anyway, for now I've switched mostly to herbal teas, which I enjoy and usually contain zero caffeine! Perhaps at a later date I will buy myself a coffee maker so that I can still enjoy what I really like about coffee - the taste - instead of bulk brewing myself all that horrible instant stuff.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 1:00 am

I can get very tired after I drink coffee, I can eat breakfast with coffee & after that, go back to bed. I don't do that anymore, if I wake up at 6-8:30 AM, I just go to the bathroom, turn off my porch light & go back to bed. Maybe coffee is not for everyone, maybe coffee works more for people that don't have Aspergers & Autism & works for some Aspergers & Autism people or maybe instant coffee not strong enough, I don't know. After I drink coffee, my eyes can still be tired, it like alot of time in the winter, my eyes are very dugged, I can't keep them open.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 1:05 am

There has actually been a gene they have discovered recently that with some people the caffeine doesn't break down, just like you get with some cultures that can drink alcohol and other cultures it can effect them immensely as there is also a gene that helps with the break down of alcohol. Maybe with many aspies etc that gene is also effected. I feel the effects of caffeine but not in the positive light that others seem to get and can drink 10 cups a day 8O One fresh coffee ( here where i live they roast there own) has a very negative impact as i have mentioned... Or maybe it does break it down well but due to our differed axons it can have a heightened effect in some areas and do nothing in others?