Looking for a tablet, my parents want me to spend too much

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mitz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2017, 6:11 pm

I have autism, and currently I'm stuck with a 4-generations back phone. I'm looking for a tablet under $150 but my parents are saying they won't buy one under $200. Well, that's what I'm getting out of them. They're both autistic. I have, including my crudsy phone, ~150 Canadian, but they say they know those kinds of tablets are bad.
I haven't looked into it, but a chromebook might work, I just need a tablet to watch YouTube, twitch, browse discord, and maybe play a few free games. Needs to be able to hold music and video. At least a bit of it.
A tablet could be of use to me for school, as my school has a phone ban (and fidget spinner ban, well in the music room at least) and being able to use a personal device for typing, jotting down notes, working on projects, and searching up things would be great.
If possible, would my budget have room for a device AND keyboard? (Unless a chromebook, in which it already has one)
I hope I get replies, craving a better personal device

AndrewBatman82
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2017, 3:09 pm

maybe you should get a kindle fire i got one after i graduated from college. it has free apps, youtube, twitch, etc

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

I am using something like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/Lenovo-IdeaTab-A ... /165835615
It's not too good compared to newest ones (it only has 1GB RAM and Android 4.1) but it plays youtube and some flash/html5 websites with anime or Big Bang Theory using UCBrowser. They can freeze a bit but it's bearable, especially when you combine the browser with MXPlayer and only use the website to open the movie, letting MXPlayer run it. It can also run simple games, although I personally don't like playing games on its small screen (7").

So I think a tablet for less than 150$ should do the trick for you as well, especially if you choose something new. It's actually a decent price. If I were buying a tablet I wouldn't want to pay more - unless I wanted to use it with gsm internet (cheap tablets don't have sim slot and getting a separate modem to work with them is troublesome and not always possible). I am always within wifi reach - either my home wifi or my mobile phone wifi so I am fine not having one, although sometimes it would be useful(mobile phone wifi drains it's battery).