Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:14 pm

Floratro wrote:
Personally, I think there should be better teachers; lots of them don't know about the psychology of learning and the role teachers play in the learning process, or the importance of something becoming intuitive. Just think about it, would you rather do homework for a class which is taught by an old prick or one which is taught by a teacher who you actually like? And what percentage of students study to do well on tests, rather than to learn something useful?
If the teachers' jobs aren't done correctly, there are bound to be many students who will have learnt next to nothing at school. That's a lot of wasted years.
In my opinion, teachers should not only be capable of teaching a subject comprehensively, but should also teach how students should study a subject and retain what they learnt, and should teach in a fun and memorable way. When learning things like vocabulary, there should be lots of reviewing, but for formulas and theorems in science, the mathematical intuition and perhaps proof should always be taught. After all, these are incredibly important in mathematics.

yeah but it is necessary to attract better teachers, with higher salaries. or some other compensation.

"those who can, do. those who can't teach."

where i live, the local schools' teaching credential programs (plural), require a 2.67 undergrad gpa. out of 4.0. and mine was only 2.189. so, i can't even apply to the teaching credential program.

furthermore, i can't "do" either.

thus i can't "do" and i can't "teach".

so what is left? medical research subject? panhandling?

b/c for a long time i applied at a wide variety of jobs. and a lot of them.

only got minimum wage jobs. and got fired.

seriously

maybe ought to start panhandling

but hey whatever

my cousin is about 33 and. about 10 years ago he graduated with a BS in Aerospace Engineering. unemployed/underemployed. living at home since.

so, whatever.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:26 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Floratro wrote:
Personally, I think there should be better teachers; lots of them don't know about the psychology of learning and the role teachers play in the learning process, or the importance of something becoming intuitive. Just think about it, would you rather do homework for a class which is taught by an old prick or one which is taught by a teacher who you actually like? And what percentage of students study to do well on tests, rather than to learn something useful?
If the teachers' jobs aren't done correctly, there are bound to be many students who will have learnt next to nothing at school. That's a lot of wasted years.
In my opinion, teachers should not only be capable of teaching a subject comprehensively, but should also teach how students should study a subject and retain what they learnt, and should teach in a fun and memorable way. When learning things like vocabulary, there should be lots of reviewing, but for formulas and theorems in science, the mathematical intuition and perhaps proof should always be taught. After all, these are incredibly important in mathematics.

yeah but it is necessary to attract better teachers, with higher salaries. or some other compensation.

"those who can, do. those who can't teach."

where i live, the local schools' teaching credential programs (plural), require a 2.67 undergrad gpa. out of 4.0. and mine was only 2.189. so, i can't even apply to the teaching credential program.

furthermore, i can't "do" either.

thus i can't "do" and i can't "teach".

so what is left? medical research subject? panhandling?

b/c for a long time i applied at a wide variety of jobs. and a lot of them.

only got minimum wage jobs. and got fired.

seriously

maybe ought to start panhandling

but hey whatever

my cousin is about 33 and. about 10 years ago he graduated with a BS in Aerospace Engineering. unemployed/underemployed. living at home since.

so, whatever.

I've always said

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach phys. Ed.
Those who can't teach phys ed, end up being administrators.
Those that can't handle administration, end up being politicans.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:39 pm

my undergrad gpa is not high enough to teach any subject. not even physical education.

and i already applied for a wide variety of jobs. at the school district. including cafeteria worker.

seriously regret going to college.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

my undergrad gpa is not high enough to teach any subject. not even physical education.

and i already applied for a wide variety of jobs. at the school district. including cafeteria worker.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I know of what you're talking about. I hold a BA in Music History, as well as a MS in Library and Information Science. I have yet to see a return on investment in those degrees.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 9:35 pm

Meistersinger wrote:

I know of what you're talking about. I hold a BA in Music History, as well as a MS in Library and Information Science. I have yet to see a return on investment in those degrees.

yeah it's been 10 years since graduation.

wasted a lot of my precious lil "parents' " $$. for no good reason.

but hey whatever.

the past is over.

wish i never went to college.

but family/society/school pressure.

besides work, the military what other option is there?

and limited job opportunities for high school graduates.

but whatever

someone told me he worked at Oracle as a software engineer. seventeen years. then his whole division got laid off. for one year he stocked shelves at trader joe's. now he works at sylvan learning center. precalculus tutor.

seriously

why waste energy?

so many thinggs i did ended up failing, despite effort wasted

structural engineering was just one example

besides even among things that succeeded, then what?

not many of them were even worth the effort

ok

no job, no job skills, no $$, no future

exhausted all day long

no precious lil "friends"

let's start panhandling