Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Katheros
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2017, 9:29 am

Do any ASD spectrum uterus-havers have suggestions for dealing with PMDD? I was diagnosed with both PMDD and endometriosis in my mid-twenties after years of being told "everyone hates their period, just suck it up". It's nice to know it wasn't all in my head, but I still don't have any great strategies for mitigating the effects. I have an IUD, which has thankfully done away with the most debilitating of the physical symptoms, but for the week leading up I still lose all my executive functioning skills, engage in much more destructive stimming and have to fight off the temptation to consciously self-harm, deal with suicidal ideation, completely lose all capacity for social functioning, etc. I tend to call it my "extra Autistic week", because for about seven days I essentially lose all of my usual coping strategies and ability to "pass" (not that I'm necessarily trying to pass as neurotypical, but the other three weeks of the month I generally get read as awkward and a bit dorky rather than Autistic). It's like I'm a different person for the week. I discussed anti-depressants with my doctor, but I've had really bad experiences with them in the past, and since I'm fine the rest of the month, it's not a great option. I try to take extra good care of myself in the preceding week (more sleep, more exercise, healthier eating) and while that helps a bit, it feels like even a tiny slip-up shoves everything off-course.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 5:59 pm

I have not been diagnosed with either PMDD or endometriosis (have not had it checked), but, during this time, I have the same problems with my executive functioning, social functioning, destructive stimming, and self-harm. I do not have any helpful advice or solutions yet. Sorry I could not help.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: