Nonverbal jobs really an impossibility?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 12:46 pm

^ You know, if one could actually get this going and find a product in steady demand, that is a bloody fabulous idea.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 1:18 pm

There are an awful lot of people doing just that! It's surprising how many people are finding customers for everything from vintage items to handmade crafted items.

E-bay, Etsy, Amazon general and Amazon Handmade -- there are lots of ready-made venues to sell on. Some sellers are doing extraordinary business, many claim they bought their house on the proceeds.

It's one of those things, though, where it's hard to know why one vintage or handmade seller's items sell like hotcakes to infinity and provide them a living, while others with just as good a product sell one per month -- there are many variables involved in that whole aspect of it.

But it can definitely be a very lucrative business to go into.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 7:04 pm

C2V wrote:
I'm interested in the transcribing though and have come across this before - do you make money off this? How do you get into it? I thought these jobs were also on the way out because there is software you can buy which does this without being paid :wink:

Yes, it is how I make a living. Just search online for transcriber jobs. Legal and medical are the most lucrative. You would probably need to register a business number to be a sole trader; this allows companies to sign you on as an independent contractor. As far as I know, there is no software yet in existence that can transcribe human speech to the accuracy level required in the time required (most courts, for example, want their cases transcribed on a day-by-day basis, often before day's end). Even if the technology existed, like the self checkouts at the supermarket, it would have regular errors and would require human intervention, thus someone standing by to do that job (maybe an autie?)

If you have excellent grammar, vocab and don't mind listening to people of different accents prattle on, I would encourage you to give it a try. All the communication with supervisors and colleagues is via email (except in cases of dire emergency), so you might find it's the job for you.

And don't give up on the writing just because you don't think you can punch out a bestseller. I'm on book number 4 as a self-published author, and though I've made squat so far, I'm not discouraged! :mrgreen:

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 7:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the future, I believe we will have much more "virtual" contact with people--rather than face-to-face contact.

It's possible that people, in business, will at times be represented by their avatars, rather than a picture of their actual selves, like it is on the Internet at present.

VR is the future my friend. :wink:

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 7:12 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
E-bay selling!

Or any other online marketplace where you can sell. You communicate entirely via the internet, in e-mails or direct messages, and there is no other contact with the buyers except for that online communication, and sometimes not even any at all.

You do have to maybe have some speaking interactions with your local post office, unless you can have everything you're mailing picked up from your home.

Also, if you are curating vintage items to sell, you will have to go around estate sales and such, probably having to speak to someone at some point, about an item.

If you hand-make a product and sell that, no contact necessary -- buy your supplies online, and start "making." Post online and ship when a sale arrives.

Selling anything online can become a business and is all done by "virtual" contact.

I have a friend who did this. She doesn't like talking to people and made quite a bit of money buying and selling online.

I also know of people who invented stuff, e.g. hand creams or new recipes for jams, and sold them online to people in other parts of the world where the raw ingredients for those things weren't readily available, for a pretty penny. I can't imagine much talking is involved in doing that. If you were organised and clever to invent new things and set the right price, you'd be laughing.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 2:08 am

You do have to make sure you comply with local and even international laws on what you sell and to whom -- apparently there are some countries that put restrictions on what their citizens are allowed to buy from overseas, and certain food or bath products actually must be formally tested before it's legal for you to sell them. You also have to be sure you are all straight with your taxes and such, because it is a real business if you plan to sell more than just something sitting around the attic, kind of thing.

But yes, it could be a good option for someone with communication challenges or who just wants a solitary occupation with minimal contact.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 4:29 am

^ It's not even the solitary aspect that matters most to me - it's the verbal communication. I'd be happy with a job with people all around me, potentially, if I was not forced to speak. I just hate speech and speaking so much right now, I don't want to do it at all and I really notice the difference in myself between verbal and nonverbal periods. And the nonverbal periods are much more comfortable for me.
I have sent a few emails off to state and national autism organizations regarding any info they may have on nonverbal jobs for autistic adults, so if they reply I'll post it in this thread for others' use. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 9:12 am

What if you only have to speak every once in a while, and for business purposes. Would you accept that?

I'm sensing that the physical "act" of speaking itself might bother you, even more than the socialization. Am I correct?

There are times, when I speak quite a bit, that I feel worn out, and I start slurring my words. At that point, talking is very unpleasant for me. It has to do with "breaths," from my own experience.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 9:19 am

I know a deaf lady that works in a noisy warehouse. She reads lips.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 6:58 am

Soooo I emailed a few autism awareness / support organizations about this for advice / info - most of which was completely useless. What a surprise (sarcasm please). No one seems able to do anything useful for autistic adults. One even told me to contact a disability support employment agency - as if I hadn't done this already. The disability employment agency who have been completely useless in finding me any work whatsoever in the whole nine months I have been registered with them, that I had to find the job I'm working myself, and even that doesn't provide many hours. All they have done is told me to apply to online job search engines. That's it. No finding me suitable work, no contacting employers on my behalf, no "pathways" into employment for people with disabilities, nothing.
The other recommended an online disability employment site which I might give a try. Autism specific disability support employment offices cost a LOT of money I don't have.
Ugh.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm

In Connecticut there is a private organization called Roses for Autism that teaches job skills. It got started because a farmer wanted gainful employment for his autistic son. They do everything, growing the roses, harvesting them, putting them in arrangements, taking phone orders, running an Internet site, and delivering them to local customers. This allows them to see what jobs someone on the spectrum may be able to handle.
They do have a rule that you can't eat lunch by yourself. They consider eating lunch with others an essential job skill.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 7:38 am

Just to add, I'm still pursuing this. Since the autism advocacy organizations were beyond useless, and since I intend to be using sign language primarily along with written communication, I have been emailing a few deaf organizations about what kinds of jobs and fields deaf people who use sign can pursue. I added that I am a hearing person, but an autistic who is better off being nonverbal.
I got a response to call (somewhat ironic, given) their employment office, which I will do when I get half a second of privacy anywhere next week. I'm not letting this go. I intend to get vocal surgery soonish to hopefully repair some of the physical dysphonia, but even if I was able to speak 100% perfectly physically post-op, I think at this point my need to be nonverbal most of the time would remain.
So if anyone's interested I'll post the outcome with the deaf organizations here, and their recommendations for jobs and career fields for nonverbal deaf people, using sign.
It may also be useful to add (though countries differ) if the deaf specific employment services charge extortionate prices, like the autism specific ones did. That was ironic - I am a personal with an autism spectrum disability, and I cannot afford to access autism specific employment support. :roll: