When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatur

Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:19 pm

Lintar wrote:
[

No, even though I am by no means a Christian, if I had to choose between the miracle stories of the Bible and the miracle stories of modern cosmology, I would (gladly) select the former. They make far, far more sense.

So you would prefer living under the tyranny of a God than the democracy that secular law is creating.

Good for you. If your best reality is slavery under a God, then have at it.

Regards
DL

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:21 pm

You want to enlighten us but won't even give definitive answers on poop.

It reminds me of the Winchester Mystery House, which was forever being built, or Madonna and Cher forever changing their looks.

The moral of the story is supposed to be grow or die?

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:22 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
If we want to discuss logical fallacies, it should be said that your writing is full of subjective words.

Based on the examples you have supplied, you are obviously wrong.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:26 pm

If age of reason needs further definition, this might serve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBxFXQy7-M

Regards
DL

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:32 pm

Discourse, unending, is not the same as reason.

Although, I have heard it described this way, by nominal Luciferians and their philosophical lookalikes.

They do not like (actually, they really, really, hate) nihilists.

They do not consider indecisiveness, so much as affirmative self-realization to be the real Enlightenment. You are expected to make independent assertions, when you dig deeper, into this worldview.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:56 pm

When I reached the age of reason and enlightenment, I rejected small-minded know-it-alls who believe that humanity's current state of knowledge is the ultimate apex, and nothing essentially new can be known or discovered going forward, therefore any school of thought created before, or outside of, the circle-jerk of the 'Religion of Western Science,' not provable by current standards of empirical forensics is useless superstition, simply because it cannot be interpreted through the currently accepted paradigm.

I call these people 'intellectual adolescents.' :roll:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 5:48 pm

Respectfully, adolescence is yet another, transitional state. Adults have executive function. It's decisive. How do you know whether one likes what he is saying, is accountable, and really wants to be that way. Generally, most any choice, once and for all, and with finality, would be ok, so long as you are responsible. You aren't usually supposed to hurt yourself or other people. Is it so hard to just throw a dart at a map, and go there. Anything you can put your finger on. But, it's your problem. Your calling.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:13 pm

Is the OP asking people, those who are God believers anyway, to become atheists?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:23 pm

I think he wants agnosticism? Not trying to put words in his mouth.

Luciferianism is along the lines of name-it-and-claim it prosperity preachers and Oprah's "secret" and Hitler's "positive Christianity." It's not anti-anything, per se. They will bow at any altar, of any faith, of any people, and say that is an allegory for will-to-power, to the best of my understanding.

Am I being biased?

More than just hedonism, it is ultimately supposed that mankind has the power of manifestation, and to create an alternate reality, along the lines of Gault's Gulch, or the Tomorrowland movie, free from Old Testament guilt and self-incrimination. In some trains of thought, the Old Testament God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, is considered Satanic, for laying so many headtrips on us. It is like an inversion of the Bible, though borrowing from it's characters and stories. They could also retrofit Grimm's fairytales and comic books, for the same ethos, but will call the true believers superstitious.

There are different variants. Say if I am not being generic and fair.

These characters are allegorical, to you, or what is the gist of it? The hypnotic snake? From the Disney, animated version of Robin Hood?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:56 pm

will@rd wrote:
When I reached the age of reason and enlightenment, I rejected small-minded know-it-alls who believe that humanity's current state of knowledge is the ultimate apex, and nothing essentially new can be known or discovered going forward, therefore any school of thought created before, or outside of, the circle-jerk of the 'Religion of Western Science,' not provable by current standards of empirical forensics is useless superstition, simply because it cannot be interpreted through the currently accepted paradigm.

I think it's even worse than that for the people who have any sacred teddy bear in classic physicalism. The ganzfeld studies persistently show 5-6% over random chance, no matter who does them or how often, showing that while you're likelihood of getting your money's worth from a psychic is close to nil you'll still see that the average person, given four choices, will guess the right thing more often than 25% of the time. Similarly the random number generators and current events studies seem to indicate that there is some type of energetic backdrop that global events of great social significance tend to bend or stretch.

I don't know what I think anymore about 'supernatural', its easy for people to beat on because it's a terribly antiquated concept, but the existence of things that we would have classically put in that category seems like they're coming into more evidence rather than less - at least when it comes to mental interactions with environments (and my own taste of where the wind is blowing - we'll likely see this increasingly with conscious systems in nature that don't have neurons). Past that there's just a lot of strange emotional baggage, needs to categorize things into pejorative backward-looking buckets, and it seems like almost all of it is some variety of saltiness over how organized religion treated science when it was still partially under it's thumb. While I get that the way groups of people under the sway of strange beliefs can be abrasive I don't think it's ever worth subordinating the science or the findings for the sake of political posturing.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:46 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:
Discourse, unending, is not the same as reason.

I agree.
Quote:
Although, I have heard it described this way, by nominal Luciferians and their philosophical lookalikes.

They do not like (actually, they really, really, hate) nihilists.

They do not consider indecisiveness, so much as affirmative self-realization to be the real Enlightenment. You are expected to make independent assertions, when you dig deeper, into this worldview.

I do not know any, although I understand theirs to be a more moral ideology than the mainstream religions like Christianity and Islam.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:48 am

will@rd wrote:

Not bad.

Since they also follow immoral Gods, I like the term intellectual and moral dissonance.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:54 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Is the OP asking people, those who are God believers anyway, to become atheists?

No. The only ideology I generally recommend is Gnostic Christianity. I think it superior to all others as it can embrace parts of any ideology it finds worthy of respect.

Atheists do not presently answer the needs created by our tribal natures. Mind you, atheists have started to create atheist churches just as some churches that were into the supernatural have.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:59 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
[While I get that the way groups of people under the sway of strange beliefs can be abrasive I don't think it's ever worth subordinating the science or the findings for the sake of political posturing.

+ 1

Regards
DL

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 12:52 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

No. The only ideology I generally recommend is Gnostic Christianity. I think it superior to all others as it can embrace parts of any ideology it finds worthy of respect.

Atheists do not presently answer the needs created by our tribal natures. Mind you, atheists have started to create atheist churches just as some churches that were into the supernatural have.

Regards
DL

In other words the title of this thread is a calculated lie just to get attention.
Correct?

The title of the thread "when will you grow up and stop believing in the supernatural?" is clearly a command to embrace atheism. There is no other possible way to interpret it.

But you're actual belief, and what you are actually missionizing for in this thread, is not atheism, but a form of theism (ie the Gnostic form of Christianity).

So the title of the thread of is dishonest click bait saying one thing, and the body of your posts in this thread are about something else almost the opposite.

Isnt that correct?

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 3:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

Regards
DL

Quote:
In other words the title of this thread is a calculated lie just to get attention.
Correct?

Indeed. What good is a title that is not a hook? So to speak.

Quote:
The title of the thread "when will you grow up and stop believing in the supernatural?" is clearly a command to embrace atheism. There is no other possible way to interpret it.

To you perhaps, but that has not been the general type of reply.

Quote:
But you're actual belief, and what you are actually missionizing for in this thread, is not atheism, but a form of theism (ie the Gnostic form of Christianity).

Gnosticism is closer to Buddhism in it's beliefs. I use the title of Gnostic Christian because I argue against Yahweh just as the ancient Gnostic Christians did, so your label of us being theists or deists in not accurate.

While true that we put ourselves above all the Gods, we do not seek a superior God as we would likely not understand any of his thinking.

Here is how God should be described, as indescribable, which is in line with Christianity and other religions that say that God is unknowable and unfathomable. They, of course, then proceed to tell you all they know and understand of the unknowable and un-understandable.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Quote:
So the title of the thread of is dishonest click bait saying one thing, and the body of your posts in this thread are about something else almost the opposite.

Isnt that correct?

No.

Stop trying to go personal.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Regards
DL