naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 7:46 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
Is the OP asking people, those who are God believers anyway, to become atheists?

No. The only ideology I generally recommend is Gnostic Christianity. I think it superior to all others as it can embrace parts of any ideology it finds worthy of respect.

Atheists do not presently answer the needs created by our tribal natures. Mind you, atheists have started to create atheist churches just as some churches that were into the supernatural have.

Regards
DL

Quote:
In other words the title of this thread is a calculated lie just to get attention.
Correct?

Indeed. What good is a title that is not a hook? So to speak.

Quote:
The title of the thread "when will you grow up and stop believing in the supernatural?" is clearly a command to embrace atheism. There is no other possible way to interpret it.

To you perhaps, but that has not been the general type of reply.

Quote:
But you're actual belief, and what you are actually missionizing for in this thread, is not atheism, but a form of theism (ie the Gnostic form of Christianity).

Gnosticism is closer to Buddhism in it's beliefs. I use the title of Gnostic Christian because I argue against Yahweh just as the ancient Gnostic Christians did, so your label of us being theists or deists in not accurate.

While true that we put ourselves above all the Gods, we do not seek a superior God as we would likely not understand any of his thinking.

Here is how God should be described, as indescribable, which is in line with Christianity and other religions that say that God is unknowable and unfathomable. They, of course, then proceed to tell you all they know and understand of the unknowable and un-understandable.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Quote:
So the title of the thread of is dishonest click bait saying one thing, and the body of your posts in this thread are about something else almost the opposite.

Isnt that correct?

No.

Stop trying to go personal.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Regards
DL

When do you plan on starting a discussion of ideas?

"personal"? WTF are you talking about?
I am just calling you out on a foul.

You failed to explain exactly how what I said is not correct.

That is a tacit admission that what I said was correct ( that you're deliberately contradicting yourself).

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 11:50 am

------>>>>>>> life.

Regards
DL

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm

The big 'yeah but.....'

Current state of the research - there's something there, people's proclivities are much more genetic than trained, technically its a devolving skill set because - like many things - evolution throws overboard what isn't needed more often than not.

So this is the challenge - consciousness is probably not essentially physical, much more likely fundamental in the space-time geometry. At the same time - the reductive materialist atheists are right in their observations about how the world behaves, ie. the results here aren't religion or discernible divine purpose behind life, rather just an indication that neurons inherit consciousness and seem to give it an ideal scaffolding for fusing with a material structure rather than the material structure being what its sourced from.

So its an awkward place - real woo in the world on one hand, no actual religious purpose or program on the other.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 1:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The big 'yeah but.....'

Current state of the research - there's something there, people's proclivities are much more genetic than trained, technically its a devolving skill set because - like many things - evolution throws overboard what isn't needed more often than not.

So this is the challenge - consciousness is probably not essentially physical, much more likely fundamental in the space-time geometry. At the same time - the reductive materialist atheists are right in their observations about how the world behaves, ie. the results here aren't religion or discernible divine purpose behind life, rather just an indication that neurons inherit consciousness and seem to give it an ideal scaffolding for fusing with a material structure rather than the material structure being what its sourced from.

So its an awkward place - real woo in the world on one hand, no actual religious purpose or program on the other.

Noetic science is interesting of late.

I myself know telepathy is real thanks to two short experiences of it. I have one victim who will swear to our experience. She called it an assault due to the intense emotional impact that brought her to tears.

Are you suggesting that our consciousness is not ties to our mind/brains?

Regards
DL

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm

Dean is clearly suggesting it in that interview among many others he's given.

Another very good conversation on Rune Soup (Gordon White's Podcast): Talking The Trickster and the Paranormal | George P. Hansen. I had the chance to listen to that today and I'd strongly agree with the characterization that they go over with the phenomena - ie. something that's clearly real but at the same time self-effacing in strange ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ZVbc1AlHM

A lot of this reminds me of the behavior or what people like Elphas Levi referred to as the 'astral light', ie. a plastic conscious substance back-dropping reality which people played with, often not realizing it, which would comply with pretty much whatever they believed and edify delusions, leading people down rabbit-holes and blind alleys, quite often leaving them worse off than they started.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm

They expect to use it, to build a new reality, with better rules. They believe that God (in the creative sense) is a part of our collective unconscious, but could conceivably be mastered, at will. In ancient stories, men fought or argued with God and won, or were responsible to feed God, by way of material offerings, thought energy, and praises. The line of discussion requires the seeker to view God as an abstract idea, which can be manipulated, in the same respect as a algebraic variable, medium of exchange, or unit of measure.

As such, people will blaspheme, casually, not because they have any emotions about it, whatsoever. Or, because they want your emotions.

Last edited by friedmacguffins on 30 Jun 2017, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Dean is clearly suggesting it in that interview among many others he's given.

Another very good conversation on Rune Soup (Gordon White's Podcast): Talking The Trickster and the Paranormal | George P. Hansen. I had the chance to listen to that today and I'd strongly agree with the characterization that they go over with the phenomena - ie. something that's clearly real but at the same time self-effacing in strange ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ZVbc1AlHM

A lot of this reminds me of the behavior or what people like Elphas Levi referred to as the 'astral light', ie. a plastic conscious substance back-dropping reality which people played with, often not realizing it, which would comply with pretty much whatever they believed and edify delusions, leading people down rabbit-holes and blind alleys, quite often leaving them worse off than they started.

I have listened to some of Dean talks but did not follow your link.

But that is news to me.

If not stored in our mind/brains, where does he speculate it is stored?

Regards
DL

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:40 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
They expect to use it, to build a new reality, with better rules. They believe that God (in the creative sense) is a part of our collective unconscious, but could conceivably be mastered, at will. In ancient stories, men fought or argued with God and won, or were responsible to feed God, by way of material offerings, thought energy, and praises. The line of discussion requires the seeker to view God as an abstract idea, which can be manipulated, in the same respect as a algebraic variable, medium of exchange, or unit of measure.

As such, people will blaspheme, casually, not because they have any emotions about it, whatsoever. Or, because they want your emotions.

What are you referring to?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:41 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

At a more fundamental layer of the universe. Pretty much everywhere.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:46 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The conscious backdrop, or blank slate, which is supposed to be the universe. Eventually, people will be told that they are the consciousness.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:49 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The conscious backdrop, or blank slate, which is supposed to be the universe. Eventually, people will be told that they are the consciousness.

They are focus-points of that substance. What of it?

It seems like you were suggesting that either:
a) God as all consciousness and all being is the end-times lie of Antichrist or
b) That its true that God is all but that this energy will be misused and the forces tempting people to abuse it will be that of Antichrist.

Either way I'd say rest easy - it can't be manipulated like that. This world has tens of thousands of years of attempting to use magic. The people who wave their Iphones and say "Did this come from magic!?" have a good point about its effectiveness.

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 30 Jun 2017, 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:54 pm

They are supposed to be in control of creation, ie. as gods.

Like what the Snake said, in the Garden.

Last edited by friedmacguffins on 30 Jun 2017, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:55 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

If they think that the world is anywhere near a point where better rules will be universally adopted, they might want to rethink that. Proof of the divisions is evidenced by the fact that a Trump can be elected based on pure B.S. So much for our collective unconscience.

Regards
DL

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm

Which is why you were trying to illuminate people.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:00 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
They are supposed to be in control of creation, ie. as gods.

Like what the Snake said, in the Garden.

Okay. Got it.

I used to worry about things like this, until I had the opportunity to read the bible cover to cover several times and compare it to the local philosophies of the times, figure out what the symbols and injunctions meant, etc.. That helped make me aware that next to nothing modern Christian's believe about the bible, or Christianity for that matter, is true.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:02 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

At a more fundamental layer of the universe. Pretty much everywhere.

That rather screws up communication because of the speed of light.

They will have to do a lot more work on quantum effects to prove their hypothesis.

Have you heard of the God helmet? It proved communication with cosmic consciousness, I think, but does not claim breaking the speed of light.

Regards
DL