When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatur

Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 4:00 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Yes, I believe I've long since passed that point (age of reason, rejecting the supernatural).

Sweet.

Can I ask how you label yourself? Believer, non-believer etc.

Regards
DL

Materialist atheist, or simply a non-believer. Ultimately I don't care about the origins of the universe, life and everything; as a matter of faith I believe an understandable, materialist explanation exists whether or not I or anyone else ever understands it fully.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 4:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Yes, I believe I've long since passed that point (age of reason, rejecting the supernatural).

Sweet.

Can I ask how you label yourself? Believer, non-believer etc.

Regards
DL

Materialist atheist, or simply a non-believer. Ultimately I don't care about the origins of the universe, life and everything; as a matter of faith I believe an understandable, materialist explanation exists whether or not I or anyone else ever understands it fully.

Good.

Do you get into moral or ethical discussions with theists to try to get them away from thinking that a genocidal God is a good God or other such moral discussions?

I am close to a militant atheist, even though I am a Gnostic Christian and basically ignore questions on God's existence for moral discussions.

What turns your crank buddy?

Regards
DL

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 4:27 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Do you get into moral or ethical discussions with theists to try to get them away from thinking that a genocidal God is a good God or other such moral discussions?DL

Not as often as I once did. People create their god in their own image - hateful people worship and believe in a hateful god, decent people worship and believe in a decent one. Most members of Abrahamic faiths don't seem all that familiar with their entire holy scriptures, meaning the contents of their holy books don't define their notions of god.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 4:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Do you get into moral or ethical discussions with theists to try to get them away from thinking that a genocidal God is a good God or other such moral discussions?DL

Not as often as I once did. People create their god in their own image - hateful people worship and believe in a hateful god, decent people worship and believe in a decent one. Most members of Abrahamic faiths don't seem all that familiar with their entire holy scriptures, meaning the contents of their holy books don't define their notions of god.

I agree.

The only way Christians can stomach Jesus is to divorce him from Yahweh and the Trinity concept and swallow the immoral notion that God would have Jesus murdered for their forgiveness instead of just doing the moral thing and forgiving them outright.

Keep it up my friend. There are many Christians who need guidance.

Regards
DL

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 5:30 pm

you're a guy who calls himself "gnostic bishop". Ergo you adhere to the Gnostic branch of Christianity ( a religious creed based on belief in the supernatural), and you even imagine yourself to be a "bishop" of this creed.

So obviously you embrace the supernatural yourself.

So why do you ask this question?

Have you not yet reached "the age of reason" yourself?

Or have you reached it, but still not "rejected the supernatural"?

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 7:26 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Cash__ wrote:
I don't require a religion. What its founded upon is irrelevant.

Do unto others.

It is not irrelevant to all the victims they create.

What should you do, (overall), in terms of religion, if you are living by the Golden Rule?

Regards
DL

Empathy is required to treat others right, not a religion. In fact, look at all the wars caused by religions and their victims.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 9:57 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Cash__ wrote:

Do unto others.

What should you do, (overall), in terms of religion, if you are living by the Golden Rule?

Regards
DL

Seems that your education has been stifled.

You do of course realise where "Do unto others" comes from, don't you? Yes, that's right - "supernatural religion".

Seems that your education has been stifled. Reciprocity rules have been around since the beginning of life on this world. They are a part of our instinct and selfish gene.

Have a look at this link and recognize that that baby is using a reciprocity rule as that is the best rule to follow to survive. That is why we have a default position of cooperation instead of competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

You can believe that some supernatural force put that rule in us but I prefer to think nature did.

Regards
DL

It seems that your "education has been stifled" as well, because that specific quote first appeared in the New Testament. Yes, I know about the 'reciprocity rule' that it embodies, but I wasn't talking about that. You quoted a text, a religious text, and yet at the same time didn't seem to notice it.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 10:01 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
What do you mean by the phrase "when you reach the age of reason"?

There was "THE Age of Reason" in history. Roughly 1750 to 1815. Also known as the "Enlightenment". The Age of Voltaire, John Locke, America's Founding Fathers (like Jefferson) etc.. An age of when reason was elevated to being of higher value than in previous centuries.

But you use the phrase in a strange way that indicates that you dont mean THAT "Age of Reason" (not a one time period of history) but seem to have conflated the phrase with something else (like "age of majority") to mean some kind of developmental phase everyone reaches when growing up, or something like that.

So...WTF are you talking about?

The age of reason is the age at which children attain the use of reason and begin to have moral responsibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_(canon_law)#Age_of_Reason

Regards
DL

What makes you think that none of us have yet reached that age? I'm 49. Do you think I've reached it yet? I reached my 'age of reason', according to your definition, when I was 7.

Where did I indicate in a general way that any here had not reached the age of reason?

That would be a judgement call and the O.P. asks a question and does not judge.

I judge after I get a reply so answer the question and then I will see what kind of reply I judge you to deserve.

Why are you upset at the question?

Regards
DL

I wasn't upset, but it seemed to me that you were suggesting in the original comment that started this discussion that no one here had yet reached that age, which I thought was really odd.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 6:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
you're a guy who calls himself "gnostic bishop". Ergo you adhere to the Gnostic branch of Christianity ( a religious creed based on belief in the supernatural), and you even imagine yourself to be a "bishop" of this creed.

So obviously you embrace the supernatural yourself.

So why do you ask this question?

Have you not yet reached "the age of reason" yourself?

Or have you reached it, but still not "rejected the supernatural"?

There is nothing supernatural in Gnostic Christianity other than the myths we created to put against the Christian myth when all knew that all God were mythical.

Christians turned to Inquisition and murder right after becoming idol worshipers of their false and supernatural God. Christianity helped to usher in a 1000 years Dark Age against freedom of religion and thought.

You are quite wrong in saying that we are a religious creed based on belief in the supernatural.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 6:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
you even imagine yourself to be a "bishop" of this creed.

Tell us my friend, do you imagine yourself to be natural plastic?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 6:30 am

Cash__ wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Cash__ wrote:

Do unto others.

Regards
DL

Empathy is required to treat others right, not a religion. In fact, look at all the wars caused by religions and their victims.

I agree.

If I could, I would ban all public displays of religion and force it into closets, the way Jesus preached.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 6:35 am

Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Cash__ wrote:

Do unto others.

Regards
DL

Seems that your education has been stifled.

You do of course realise where "Do unto others" comes from, don't you? Yes, that's right - "supernatural religion".

Seems that your education has been stifled. Reciprocity rules have been around since the beginning of life on this world. They are a part of our instinct and selfish gene.

Have a look at this link and recognize that that baby is using a reciprocity rule as that is the best rule to follow to survive. That is why we have a default position of cooperation instead of competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

You can believe that some supernatural force put that rule in us but I prefer to think nature did.

Regards
DL

It seems that your "education has been stifled" as well, because that specific quote first appeared in the New Testament. Yes, I know about the 'reciprocity rule' that it embodies, but I wasn't talking about that. You quoted a text, a religious text, and yet at the same time didn't seem to notice it.

That rule, may well have been first found on a religious text, I can't know and neither can you, but we can know for sure that Christianity was not the first to use it as most former religions had a version of it 3 and 4 thousand years before Christianity reared it's immoral head and genocidal son murdering God.

There is almost nothing original in the bible. It like the Jewish myth are re-writes of older traditions.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 6:39 am

Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
What do you mean by the phrase "when you reach the age of reason"?

There was "THE Age of Reason" in history. Roughly 1750 to 1815. Also known as the "Enlightenment". The Age of Voltaire, John Locke, America's Founding Fathers (like Jefferson) etc.. An age of when reason was elevated to being of higher value than in previous centuries.

But you use the phrase in a strange way that indicates that you dont mean THAT "Age of Reason" (not a one time period of history) but seem to have conflated the phrase with something else (like "age of majority") to mean some kind of developmental phase everyone reaches when growing up, or something like that.

So...WTF are you talking about?

The age of reason is the age at which children attain the use of reason and begin to have moral responsibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_(canon_law)#Age_of_Reason

Regards
DL

What makes you think that none of us have yet reached that age? I'm 49. Do you think I've reached it yet? I reached my 'age of reason', according to your definition, when I was 7.

Where did I indicate in a general way that any here had not reached the age of reason?

That would be a judgement call and the O.P. asks a question and does not judge.

I judge after I get a reply so answer the question and then I will see what kind of reply I judge you to deserve.

Why are you upset at the question?

Regards
DL

I wasn't upset, but it seemed to me that you were suggesting in the original comment that started this discussion that no one here had yet reached that age, which I thought was really odd.

What was really odd was your reading of what I put and then putting your own spin on it, and not even recanting your comment when your own review confirmed that you had made an error.

Regards
DL

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 3:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Not all Gnostics are Christian. Maybe he believes Jesus corrupted the true faith as taught by John the Baptist, as believed by Mandaeists (just one of several Gnostic faiths that aren't Christian).

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 12:00 am

There are two statements made here that I'd like to respond to because they seem confusing to me.

1. When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion? I take this question to mean that some, most or none of us on WP have reached the age of reason.

2. The age of reason is the age at which children attain the use of reason and begin to have moral responsibility. Okay. As stated by someone on this thread, children attain the age of reason at 7.

Now, this begs the question - are there posters on WP who are less than 7 years old that have yet to reach the age of reason?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 1:01 am

YMMV.