Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Nuutism
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2017, 6:19 pm

I like games where i can build. Without the fear of someone coming and killing me while i try adjust my base into a position that satisfies my eye. I do have an obsession on getting buildings just the way i want.

And even thou i haven't had the change to play with people that i know of having some sort of autism, i've learned that i'm not the only one with a necessity to have everything just right. It can be millimetres wrong and i have to correct it! :D

And to play with people who understand that it's not always easy to participate in chat (not even speaking about voice chat! :o ). So i'm currently learning to install mods and how to run a server. It will take some time to get it ready, but participation and testing is always welcome!

I haven't found a community yet, where i can be open about these things. Or then i'm afraid to tell them why i might be away for a week, as my ADHD makes me jump from game to game. Always so many games going on at the same time. So i server and community where you can always come back and take a week or a month away and nobody would blame you.

Long post again, but i'm so hoping to find gaming friends here :)

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 4:14 am

I plan on getting this game in the future if they ever fix its performance. I've purchased it twice in the past to try out and ended up refunding both times because the performance is absolute trash. I know the games are a dime a dozen at least on PC, but I also like these types of games. Currently the main 'building' game that I'm playing is Empyrion, which is similar to ARK but set in space.

The downside of these games is that they usually see their peak in early access, and if I play them then then I tend to lose interest before they ever finalise release. I remember playing hundreds of hours of Minecraft back when it was in beta, but I rarely played the game from its release and that's typically how these games go for me.

Seff
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2017, 3:48 pm

I have put in over 100 hours on this game, it is very good but for me it's the community that lets it down.
In most public servers I found that either people will destroy you purely because they are more powerful, or that all the best locations are built on rendering your survival experience even more difficult.

Not to mention that a lot of servers seem to reset after a certain amount of time (e.g. 3 months) which is a pain if you don't get to play too often.

It is a massive time sink, and in the end the most fun I had on it was renting my own server with a friend. You can change all sorts of settings (such as how much resources you collect from chopping down trees or how long it takes to tame a Dino)
This did however get boring after awhile, especially when you die and lose all the weapons and ammo that have taken you hours to craft... :evil:

It's very much a game that depends on how many people you know or can play regularly with.

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

OrionBadger
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2017, 10:39 am

I love ARK. I have my own server that I love playing on, as I find it quite difficult to talk to people on the public servers. My favourite thing to do is taming the native fauna and building bases. Currently working on getting every tame and gathering them together for my collection while I build a huge base in the Redwoods Forest.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 4:47 pm

Empyrion! Totally forgot about that game, i played it till i got sick of it (200+ hours), built bases with lots of defences, large Capital Vessels. The trick to not get it torn apart is to hover the CV at high altitude, then bring down some fighter stuffed with weapons and unleash hell on the base. I also like the auto miners they added a while ago so you can focus on building instead of spending time making holes in the terrain (which is quite boring). I got the same feeling placing turrets in FO4 as i had in Empyrion, but you have to think in 3D for for the latter.

It's way more fun than No mans sky, a game that was supposed to be finished, but seem more beta than Empyrion is.

As for ARK, haven't gotten around to play it yet. Unlike the OP, i don't have ADHD so if i have a free day, i generally grind games from the time i wake up until i cannot keep my eyes up any more. Same can happen if i do programming or something else i really enjoy.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2017, 10:35 pm

I'm interested in this game but I'm also skeptical. How difficult is it to play? I don't mean how easy the game is to beat I mean how difficult is it for somebody brand new to learn how to play and have fun? Does it have a big difficulty curve? I bought 7 Days to Die and I'm not enjoying it at all because of how cumbersome and counterintuitive everything seems. Is this Ark any better?