Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 1:31 pm

This post is not meant to be offensive. The replies don't need to be offensive. Does anybody else here not like anime?

PS: If you're an anime fan, please don't come on here trying to "convert" anyone.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 9:31 am

There are some anime things I enjoy, like the Yu-Gi-Oh series and movies like Spirited Away; but for the most part it is not something I actively seek out, obsess about, write fan fictions about, etc. I appreciate it as an art form, it's simply not a huge part of my artistic taste.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 10:22 am

One might have more of a problem with anime if one doesn't enjoy subtitles. So much anime hasn't been dubbed(good thing) that there are many that are only subbed. There a lot of people who won't want anything in a foreign language because of said subtitles.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 10:23 am

It would be interesting if you could explain why you might not enjoy anime. Do you enjoy European cartoons. Why them and not anime?

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 10:46 am

Quote:
One might have more of a problem with anime if one doesn't enjoy subtitles.

Has nothing to do with it. I and many other anime non-likers enjoy foreign films with subtitles. I personally prefer my native language tv with subtitles as well. And one might imagine from your statement that you are not one. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here.

Quote:
It would be interesting if you could explain why you might not enjoy anime. Do you enjoy European cartoons. Why them and not anime?

If I explain, someone will inevitably attempt to convert me. This its not a post or thread for "conversion."

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:27 am

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Quote:
One might have more of a problem with anime if one doesn't enjoy subtitles.

Has nothing to do with it. I and many other anime non-likers enjoy foreign films with subtitles. I personally prefer my native language tv with subtitles as well. And one might imagine from your statement that you are not one. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here.

Quote:

If I explain, someone will inevitably attempt to convert me. This its not a post or thread for "conversion."

Whether or not someone wants to convert you it would make more sense to understand why someone doesn't like anime. Also I have known people who don't like anime because of the subtitle situation.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 12:00 pm

Quote:
it would make more sense to understand why someone doesn't like anime.

Only if you're someone who likes anime. Which I'm not. If you like anime, you can find a thread specifically for that here:
viewtopic.php?t=231106

There are many fans of anime on this site. You have ample opportunity to talk to them. This thread however, is for people who don't like anime.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 10:58 pm

Well I personally who enjoy it quite a bit would like to know of the point of view and preferences of those who do not share my own tastes. Is it anime specifically, or does it extend to all general animation? There has been growing recent talk where things like Avatar and RWBY could be put under the anime heading despite not being Japanese, along with China recently putting in its hat for some similar things, although they almost always tend to be total garbage, with misunderstanding of the nuances. It has brought into question of what anime even. Added onto the fact there are the occasional niche Japanese animation that kind of goes against the mold.

There was this one project last year called Thunderbolt Fantasy, that was kind of being treated as anime, but in actuality had more in fact with a medium called Glove puppetry, a popular type of entertainment in Taiwan. Visually it was not anime really at all, where it is all live action puppets with some cgi all done in Taiwan, with being considered anime for elements of initial design the puppets were based on, the music, Japanese acting, and the writer were the type to work on anime. Visually it is not anime at all.

Don't take this as me trying to convert you, I know you already said that you don't like anime. I thought an example would be interesting and would like to see if you find problem in the visual element, of which Thunderbolt fantasy did not have, or the story/music, or really you don't like that level of entertainment.

Do you not like children’s cartoons that might be popular among older audiences, like say the Simpsons or Bob’s Burgers? Do you dislike Archer for similar reasons? Some anime studios even took to doing anime that were like those seen from Cartoon Network, making “anime” like Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, which rather than anything anime instead came across as Invader Zim, Southpark, and Power Puff Girls.

Again, don't take this as examples that I think that I can convert you by finding something you might like, but this was an example of an anime studio creating something that would seem more at home in America on Cartoon Network, just as RWBY or Avatar might seem more anime like. Or you have Inferno Cop that is just like something that belongs on Adult Swim, with character designs being more like American comic books, photo backgrounds, as well as none of the animation style, none of the voice work, a-typical music, and story with absolutely no elements common to anime, so much so the really only thing making it anime like is the simple fact it was made in Japan.

You don’t have to like any of those, but I am just interested that if you dislike anime, what aspect is it that you do not like? Do you not like something about its look? The way it siybds? Do you not like the story, or story structure? The common character tropes? Would you perhaps be okay in the possibility of something that did not have those elements? Do you not like this sort of animation genre for the type of target audiences? Or is it the inherent fact that it is Japanese and, thus something like RWBY should not be disqualified because it is all American made?

Because the simple blanket statement of not liking something that is even having its definition of what it is as anime is kind of going through. I might as well say that I hate Hollywood movies, but am fine with all other movies, even if a movie had all the hallmarks of being Hollywood like, but was done in another country involving no American people or companies. At its core without further definition or clarification that statement can come to only be taken as racist, as in the current definition of what anime is would be that it is animation made in Japan, and becomes that you have a problem with something made by the Japanese rather than the material itself.

Hopefully you did not mistake this as me being over fanboy and just skip over it all like I am trying to give recommendations, I am earnestly interested in you expressing what it is you do not like, for the definition you have what of what anime is.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2017, 11:51 pm

No, I never became very interested in it. Which is kind of odd since I enjoy Japanese role playing video games. The stories and characters are similar.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 8:50 pm

I honestly never really liked anime. Just the artstyle I guess. I'm a big fan of animation. But that's only western animation.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 6:08 am

Something about anime just seems creepy to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 8:01 am

I've got no interest in anime at all.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 12:14 pm

I don't like anime.