Why am I turned down from every single job?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2017, 4:35 pm

Most of the time, I don't even get an interview. My applications/resume are rejected on the spot. For example, I am applying for low entry level jobs- all PT. I have been turned down from amazon jobs 9 times. All 9 times that I applied in the past 8 months. I applied to panera bread company for the past 5 years and nothing. I did get one interview 3 years ago. Didn't get hired. I rarely get interviews, and there is never a 2nd interview. But I have come to learn when they tell you there will be a "2nd interview" that means you aren't hired. If you get hired, you get it on your first interview. Its just a way of weeding people out. I am very frustrated. I am in my late 30s, live with my 83 year old father. I never have had a full time job. I am a musician and on the fringes of the entertainment industry. What do I keep failing? These places never give me feedback, so i don't know how to improve. The only thing I have managed to land is Ubereats, which really is a scam. I am thinking I may never get work.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 4:39 pm

You are trying the old way of getting a job: applying. Try getting a job through an agent or agency like vocational rehabilitation.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2017, 4:44 pm

ZachGoodwin wrote:
You are trying the old way of getting a job: applying. Try getting a job through an agent or agency like vocational rehabilitation.

Makes sense. Connections. I may also look into trade school such as culinary or something on a higher level.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 5:05 pm

It's not much consolation, but another thing to remember after the many years we've had of a bad economy is that there are almost always far more people applying than there are jobs open. Even entry level positions may have 20 or more people applying for one opening. Even if you're good, the odds are still against you.

But the positive approach is the one mentioned above -- try to work through connections. Make sure people you know, at school, in your extended family, in local organizations, know you're looking. Ask them not just if they have openings, but if they know of anyone else who does. Ask them to refer you to other places, so you can go in and say, "Joe at the library suggested I come and talk to you about any opportunities you might have...." etc.

There Are Four Lights!

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2017, 8:06 pm

ZachGoodwin wrote:

Tried vocational rehab. Still no luck.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2017, 11:34 am

Darmok wrote:
It's not much consolation, but another thing to remember after the many years we've had of a bad economy is that there are almost always far more people applying than there are jobs open. Even entry level positions may have 20 or more people applying for one opening. Even if you're good, the odds are still against you.

But the positive approach is the one mentioned above -- try to work through connections. Make sure people you know, at school, in your extended family, in local organizations, know you're looking. Ask them not just if they have openings, but if they know of anyone else who does. Ask them to refer you to other places, so you can go in and say, "Joe at the library suggested I come and talk to you about any opportunities you might have...." etc.

But I still have to wonder why they hire other people over me. And they don't give feedback so I never know what to improve.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 10:55 pm

Most of the time, I don't even get an interview. My applications/resume are rejected on the spot. For example, I am applying for low entry level jobs- all PT. I have been turned down from amazon jobs 9 times. All 9 times that I applied in the past 8 months. I applied to panera bread company for the past 5 years and nothing. I did get one interview 3 years ago. Didn't get hired. I rarely get interviews, and there is never a 2nd interview. But I have come to learn when they tell you there will be a "2nd interview" that means you aren't hired. If you get hired, you get it on your first interview. Its just a way of weeding people out. I am very frustrated. I am in my late 30s, live with my 83 year old father. I never have had a full time job. I am a musician and on the fringes of the entertainment industry. What do I keep failing? These places never give me feedback, so i don't know how to improve. The only thing I have managed to land is Ubereats, which really is a scam. I am thinking I may never get work.
________________________________________________________________________________________

you could try asking, over e-mail, for interview feedback. once, i did that. and the interviewer gave feedback.

strangers over the internet do not know and have no clue why nobody will hire you.

nine years ago, a clinical psychologist told me that the previous bosses had the nerve to fire me, b/c they did not like the way i looked. but, the psychologist was not a psychic. he never interacted with the bosses. for all the psychologist knew, the boss might've fired me b/c of homophobia, b/c i typed too slowly, or for any reason. or no reason. california is an "at will" state. employers can fire employees for any reason or no reason. as long as the employers do not violate the Americans Disability Act, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Occupational Safety Hazard Advisory or any other law.

quite frankly, i suspect that the psychologist was so full of himself, that he truly believed that he had a moral right never to have to deal with anything he did not like. such as looking at me. b/c i hrrt his eyeballs. (rolls eyes).

the boss did not tell me why they had the nerve to fire me.

so the psychologist does not know either.

anyone, other than the employers, that tell you why the employers did not hire you, cannot be believed or trusted. unless they are telepathic or psychic.

it is also true, that nowadays, sometimes, one job listing gets so many applications that the employer does not get a chance to go through all the applications.

a couple years ago, applied at the career center for jobs. a lot of jobs were Administrative Assistant and other minimum wage. menial labor. unskilled labor. jobs anyone can do. as long as they have a legal right to work in the country. even for one listing, there were other people in the same room applying for the same job.

yeah, i rarely get an interview either. and when i do, there is something seriously wrong with the job.

supervisors might have been uncomfortable around you b/c of your autism symptoms. but of course i ain't psychic and i do not know.

yeah i am frustrated too. just like you. also likewise, i am also and. disappointed, ashamed, embarrassed, jealous. feel profoundly worthless.

but whatever.

anyways.

the other thing is that i have only had a couple jobs. and got fired from them. and all the jobs were minimum wage. likewise i ain't got no job skills. at least no job skills that everyone else in the world can't do.

the long term unemployed have a hard time getting jobs.

autistics have a hard time getting jobs.

transsexuals have a hard time getting jobs.

the clinically depressed have a hard time getting jobs

people w/out job skills have a hard time getting job

and et cetera

yeah anyways

maybe you should apply to companies that you have not yet considered. look up which companies are the major employers where you live.

maybe you should apply to different jobs that you have not yet.

but quite frankly, @ this point i have applied to a wide variety of companies. and i have applied to a wide variety of jobs. that i qualify for. even fast food restaurants. in n out. ghetto grocery stores like Food Maxx. expensive grocery stores like Whole Foods, Bristol Farms. they won't take me. they won't even make the mistake of e-mailing my worthless corpse.

feel so helpless and hopeless. like i can't do nothing right. like there is something wrong with me

get someone to look over your resume

proofread your application

get some volunteer work experience

so you have references

or not

b/c quite frankly

why should you follow the job hunt advice

of someone that has only had a couple minimum wage jobs

and got fired every time?

just some ideas

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2017, 12:00 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
________________________________________________________________________________________

you could try asking, over e-mail, for interview feedback. once, i did that. and the interviewer gave feedback.

strangers over the internet do not know and have no clue why nobody will hire you.

nine years ago, a clinical psychologist told me that the previous bosses had the nerve to fire me, b/c they did not like the way i looked. but, the psychologist was not a psychic. he never interacted with the bosses. for all the psychologist knew, the boss might've fired me b/c of homophobia, b/c i typed too slowly, or for any reason. or no reason. california is an "at will" state. employers can fire employees for any reason or no reason. as long as the employers do not violate the Americans Disability Act, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Occupational Safety Hazard Advisory or any other law.

quite frankly, i suspect that the psychologist was so full of himself, that he truly believed that he had a moral right never to have to deal with anything he did not like. such as looking at me. b/c i hrrt his eyeballs. (rolls eyes).

the boss did not tell me why they had the nerve to fire me.

so the psychologist does not know either.

anyone, other than the employers, that tell you why the employers did not hire you, cannot be believed or trusted. unless they are telepathic or psychic.

it is also true, that nowadays, sometimes, one job listing gets so many applications that the employer does not get a chance to go through all the applications.

a couple years ago, applied at the career center for jobs. a lot of jobs were Administrative Assistant and other minimum wage. menial labor. unskilled labor. jobs anyone can do. as long as they have a legal right to work in the country. even for one listing, there were other people in the same room applying for the same job.

yeah, i rarely get an interview either. and when i do, there is something seriously wrong with the job.

supervisors might have been uncomfortable around you b/c of your autism symptoms. but of course i ain't psychic and i do not know.

yeah i am frustrated too. just like you. also likewise, i am also and. disappointed, ashamed, embarrassed, jealous. feel profoundly worthless.

but whatever.

anyways.

the other thing is that i have only had a couple jobs. and got fired from them. and all the jobs were minimum wage. likewise i ain't got no job skills. at least no job skills that everyone else in the world can't do.

the long term unemployed have a hard time getting jobs.

autistics have a hard time getting jobs.

transsexuals have a hard time getting jobs.

the clinically depressed have a hard time getting jobs

people w/out job skills have a hard time getting job

and et cetera

yeah anyways

maybe you should apply to companies that you have not yet considered. look up which companies are the major employers where you live.

maybe you should apply to different jobs that you have not yet.

but quite frankly, @ this point i have applied to a wide variety of companies. and i have applied to a wide variety of jobs. that i qualify for. even fast food restaurants. in n out. ghetto grocery stores like Food Maxx. expensive grocery stores like Whole Foods, Bristol Farms. they won't take me. they won't even make the mistake of e-mailing my worthless corpse.

feel so helpless and hopeless. like i can't do nothing right. like there is something wrong with me

get someone to look over your resume

proofread your application

get some volunteer work experience

so you have references

or not

b/c quite frankly

why should you follow the job hunt advice

of someone that has only had a couple minimum wage jobs

and got fired every time?

just some ideas

I will study more up on this. I don't agree that transsexuals have a harder time getting jobs- because I have seen them with my own eyes working in the same jobs that I was not hired to do. Also, the gays and trans people have tons of lobbyists on their behalf making sure to stop "discrimination". What seems to be true, however, is a malice towards white heterosexual Christian males . Especially the ones who are over 30, because they are much harder to indoctrinate! That being said, I am going to go to a career advisor, and I think learning a particular trade- such as hospitality or something creative while I do music will be a benefit.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 1:37 pm

Sometimes I despair for the way Christians are treated in society today. It's shameful.

Good luck, I hope you find something good soon.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 6:14 pm

I got a job after the second interview...and I thought usually a second interview was a good sign. Anyways are you applying to everything you could do? I mean I think I got kind of lucky because I got a job after the first application I sent in recently...but initially I was specifically searching greenhouse and gardening center jobs, but that didn't seem promising so I expanded to just look for any openings that looked like something I could do. So now I work at a place doing dishwashing, cleaning and helping in the kitchen with food prep. It's just part time but for me that is sufficient.

So yeah apply for all job openings you see that are potentials. Also though make sure they are hiring, a lot of places will still give an application if you ask but if they aren't looking for anyone at that time they certainly won't call you back. Also I didn't even have any work history to list or references, and if I understand right you at least have that going for you.

But yeah based on some things I have heard about Uber I wouldn't recommend a job with them at all...

As for interviews I don't think I am very good at them, but for the interview I got my current job I just tried to put on the friendliest demeanor I could tried to make enough eye contact to show I was paying attention and did what I could to minimize all my fidgeting so I didn't look overly nervous or distracted(I am not when that happens, but to them it could have looked like it).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 6:25 pm

Alita wrote:
Sometimes I despair for the way Christians are treated in society today. It's shameful.

A lot of Christians would do good to look at how they treat people as well. Not accusing anyone here but some Christians are quite pushy and have no respect for people who believe differently...so I think to some level it works both ways as far as that is concerned.

Either way any kind of negative attitude while going to an interview will work against you...if you think 'oh they won't hire me because maybe they hate christians(or any other identity feature)...then you may have a more defensive demeanor rather than the positive attitude they are probably looking for. Also though you'll likely have to interact with people with different beliefs and opinions so you'll have to be able to tolerate that whilst remaining civil and being able to work together.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 8:09 pm

A lot of Christians would do good to look at how they treat people as well. Not accusing anyone here but some Christians are quite pushy and have no respect for people who believe differently...so I think to some level it works both ways as far as that is concerned.

Either way any kind of negative attitude while going to an interview will work against you...if you think 'oh they won't hire me because maybe they hate christians(or any other identity feature)...then you may have a more defensive demeanor rather than the positive attitude they are probably looking for. Also though you'll likely have to interact with people with different beliefs and opinions so you'll have to be able to tolerate that whilst remaining civil and being able to work together.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

yes

and why do you have to disclose your religion on job applications or at job interviews, anyways? unless an essential function of the job concerns religion. or unless you want religious accommodations on the job.

the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission prohibits religious discrimination.

having said that, christianity is the major religion in the united states. despite "separation of church and state". government buildings and many private businesses close for certain christian holidays. for example, christmas, easter.

and Jewish and Muslim holidays? who knows when they are? the public does not make a big deal of them. at least, not where i live.

Lent? Ramadan? yom kippur?

how many united states presidents have been Christian white men?

how many united states presidents have been (openly) LGBT?

how many times has someone had the nerve to ask me if i was "a girl or a boy?". numerous.

how many times has someone asked if i was gay? plenty.

how many times has someone called me a "fa***t"? some.

how many people had the nerve to tell you that you were "lying" when you told them your religion?

does your religion affect if you use the mens or womens bathroom?

did you have to legally change your name and the sex specified on your drivers license, to reflect your religion?

do people look you up and down, b/c of your religion?

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission did not even include "gender identity" til 2012. at that time i was 29 years old. it was not until that time, that the law specified that, when someone is at work, someone has to call someone else by the pronouns that match the gender the person is expressing. not ask "none of your business" questions like "WHAT ARE YOU? YOU ARE FEMALE!! !! YOU ARE A WOMAN!! !!".

not many times has anyone asked what religion i was. almost nobody ever cared.

the only time someone cared, was when they told me they were Christian. and they were trying to convert me.

nobody of any other religion, has ever asked what religion i was. nobody of any other religion has ever tried to convert me.

nobody of any religion other than Christian, has ever invited me to a religious event.

even when i went to a Buddhist group, nobody tried to convert me. and that was multiple Buddhist groups.

quite frankly, antisemitism and islamophobia seem much stronger than discrimination against christians. especially islamophobia. President Trump. 8) Muslim ban. :twisted:

and then there was a long time, where plenty of people acted like anyone wearing a hijab or turban was a terrorist. racial profiling.

but, then again, discrimination can't be quantified. and i personally do not claim to have measured discrimination against any minority (or majority) group. nor did i cite any empirical studies about such discrimination. :mrgreen:

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Darmok wrote:

But I still have to wonder why they hire other people over me. And they don't give feedback so I never know what to improve.

If they're all entry-level jobs, my guess is they want a really young person, maybe still in school, like 16-18. I've been told by employers they don't like to hire highly qualified or older people because they assume they'll get bored and leave the job. They want someone they can groom and whose heads they can get into from an early age to program them to be the perfect little worker.

Also, if you never get feedback, you can bet it's because they don't have the time to send you any, and perhaps not even to see your application. I once spoke with this cafe owner who said she had a stack of about 400 resumes to look through and she was expecting to choose someone before she got to resume number 30 or 40.

A lot of companies will keep your CV on file, however, and call you up weeks, months or even years later asking if you're interested in work. I've had this happen to me (5+ years later!). They can get away with this because there are more job seekers out there than jobs, and they don't have to continually advertise; just go to their nice little stock of resumes.

The best thing is to find a company you'd love to work for, research everything you can about it, then approach the appropriate person repeatedly until they finally give in and give you a job. This is how people like Steven Spielberg got their start in life (and I think he's kind of an autie too, or at the very least, an eccentric).

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:37 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Alita wrote:

So if you were working alongside someone (Christian or other biblical religion) who believed Noah's flood really happened, and a funny, popular atheist co-worker made a good-natured joke about Noah's flood etc all being total BS, how would you react, knowing your Noah-believing co-worker heard it and probably felt offended?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:57 pm

So if you were working alongside someone (Christian or other biblical religion) who believed Noah's flood really happened, and a funny, popular atheist co-worker made a good-natured joke about Noah's flood etc all being total BS, how would you react, knowing your Noah-believing co-worker heard it and probably felt offended?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

(1) sometimes you have to stand up for your rights.

(2) sometimes you have to "pick your battles".

knowing which one (1) or (2) to pick is a constant struggle.

every situation is different.

sometimes you have to be practical. sometimes you want to be idealistic.

but seriously, what kind of job are you talking about? if it's just some random comment someone made, why not just ignore it?

b/c plenty of big egoed homophobes (at least, when I was in college and high school), went around calling things "that's so gay". so what if that was homophobic?

what about freedom of speech?

what about pick your battles?

what about passive aggressive tolerance?

besides, if I were to have said something, maybe they would've told me I was gay. or LGBT.

big deal.

it would've been one thing for a schoolteacher to correct them.

but as a classmate, I had no authority.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2017, 9:55 pm

I have had a pretty similar experience. Most of the time I don't even get interviews. I have almost altogether given up so I'm signed up to temp agency. I didn't have to worry about an interview with them although this job they assigned me I could only do for the first 2 days mainly because it was just too hard on my feet. I am told they have other types of jobs so I'm hoping they can have something that's a better fit for me. As a backup I am applying for disability but am hoping I will not have to go that route because I feel better working.
If you can get a temp job you can do I would think that would count as experience.

Alita wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Darmok wrote:

If they're all entry-level jobs, my guess is they want a really young person, maybe still in school, like 16-18. I've been told by employers they don't like to hire highly qualified or older people because they assume they'll get bored and leave the job. They want someone they can groom and whose heads they can get into from an early age to program them to be the perfect little worker.

But if you're an older individual with little work experience then where would you go?