Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 8:52 pm

I'm actually thinking about taking up gaming a lot more. Right now, the only game I play usually is "Geopolitical Simulator", an indie geopolitical game. I feel like my skills in the game have stagnated and I have never mastered it. I'm not sure if this has to do with Asperger's or not.

I'll explain more later, I have to jump in the shower and go to bed.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:54 pm

Well, I think the simplest and most important question to ask is: What types of games do you think you might be interested in? There are so very many. If you're playing Geopolitical Simulator, I'm guessing you're on Steam? Or did you get it from some other place like GoG? Either way, there's like 20 squillion games out here in every genre, so.... yeah.

What sorts of things look interesting to you?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 7:06 pm

I'm interested in sim or management games. My problem is that I think too much or try too hard, and I never had the opportunity to master or beat any game before.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 11:29 pm

Just do whatever you think is fun. What's with this "mastering" thing? You trying to be world-ranked or something? Good luck with that.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 11:07 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm interested in sim or management games. My problem is that I think too much or try too hard, and I never had the opportunity to master or beat any game before.

Well, you're in luck, because there's about a zillion such games on PC in that genre.... it's a popular one, really. Of course, actually FINDING them is a pain.

The first one that pops into my head is Cities: Skylines. It really is very good and full of depth, yet it presents itself in a way that's relatively easy to understand. It's the sort of thing that proves it's worth quickly, as you can get endless hours out of this one.

On the other side of things, getting into the more fantastical, there are things like Factorio, where you're effectively building a giant, complex factory out of all sorts of gizmos in order to accomplish various goals. A very freeform game that is about resource management, and puzzling out solutions to problems you run into as you keep building. I'm not too familiar with it myself... I've bought it but havent gotten around to it yet... but it's very popular for a reason.

It's hard to recommend further though based on what you've said. What is it that you like/dislike most about the sorts of games that you have played? I mean, there are so many options out there, that narrowing it down to some select ones to recommend is pretty tough. Skylines and Factorio are just two that popped into mind immediately due to the quality I know them both to have. There are various other entire types of simulation games though, such as the Farming Simulator series, another popular one, which has you managing a big farm but also taking direct controls of various vehicles and such. It's a whole other approach to the sim/management idea.

As for the other thing you said: Dont worry about thinking/trying too hard. A game like the sort you're talking about isnt really just about "beating" it. Heck, the vast majority of sim/management games cannot be "beaten", because there is no winning condition. Other than any you may set for yourself, that is. Sometimes they may have something like a "challenge" mode, where they present you with specific situations, and you try to reach some specific goal, but those are usually side things, if they exist at all. These games are more about doing what you want to, in your own way, manipulating and experiencing the simulation as you see fit within the context of it's rules. In a city simulator for instance, you could try to make a very prosperous city and deal with the challenges of that sort of goal, or you could make a crappy one and then just hit it with a flood or something just... because. You do what YOU want. So you dont really have to worry about that.

Also to be honest, the "think too much" sorts of players is exactly the sort of players who are going to get the most out of games like this. They're pretty much designed for that approach, heh.

Why not just browse around Steam and such, and see what looks interesting? And if you have any questions about these types of games or any others, you can certainly ask.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 6:58 am

There are some great sims around:

The Movies
Theme Hospital
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Game Dev Tycoon

Look these games up on YouTube and you'll get an idea of what they're about.