Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AckAck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2017, 4:05 am

I’ve been told by several people that I possess the characteristics of a 15-year-old boy. Especially when I’m playing multiplayer games like Overwatch, it seems that I get more attention from younger teenagers than adults my own age. Like at work, a lot of the adults seem as if they’re not interested in starting a conversation with me. I hear them talking about things I’m not interested in like sports, politics, their boyfriend/girlfriend and so on. However, a lot of the younger teenagers come up to me and talk to me as if I’m a peer. I’ve spoken to my parents about this and they say that it has something to do with emotional maturity, although I’m not quite sure what they mean by that. How does emotional maturity differ between a 15-year-old and a 21-year-old anyway? How come adults can’t get along with me as much as teenagers can? Although I have poor social skills and don’t even know how to maintain a conversation, I am still polite, respectful, and show good manners. I don’t know why I can't just be a normal person and get along with people my age.

What do you guys think?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 8:33 am

This sort of things seems pretty common with Aspie-autistic people.

I wouldn't sweat it. It's better to be like 40 when 56, than like 56.

AckAck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2017, 5:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This sort of things seems pretty common with Aspie-autistic people.

I wouldn't sweat it. It's better to be like 40 when 56, than like 56.

I already know it's common with Aspie-autistic people. I was asking why exactly people that age tend to approach me more. Is it true that I'm not as emotionally mature as most people my age? Is it because of my viewpoints on something in particular? Is it because 15-year-olds aren't as experienced in life implying that I'm not either? I want reasons.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 9:04 pm

AckAck wrote:
I hear them talking about things I’m not interested in like sports, politics, their boyfriend/girlfriend and so on.
I really don't blame you for not being interested in those things. Hearing about how good other people's relationships are gets old fast. Politics gets old when you realise you disagree with both sides of the argument.

The worst one is sports. I don't blame people who enjoy playing sports themselves but I really don't understand people who enjoy watching other people play sports. Listening to people talk about which sports they've watched on TV is boring drivel.

The fact that you don't like that makes you a more interesting person.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 6:23 pm

I like sports.

I like the funny hats the referees wear in Australian Rules Football.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 8:07 am

They wear funny hats? It sounds like you know more about Australian Rules Football than I do lol

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 7:55 pm

Only now am I high-school, LOL. I've been high-school-aged since 9 years old, in a way, but because I was so shy I could never participate in HS when I finally was in HS, and so I gave up, which stunted my growth. Only now am I the maturity of a HS student, LOL. Maybe if I went to college that'd take care of it, I think I'd like and be popular in college too. And I'm old even for college., according to some.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 7:42 am

If you look like a 20 year old perhaps noone will notice you're older than the average college student :)

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 7:47 am

I think I probably to the average person look older than a college student, but it's okay, I'm gonna go to college anywayz... I'm just not gonna care what people think and people will love me for it! Cuz I'm a lot of fun like them anyways.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 8:06 am

You'll have a blast :)

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 8:14 am

I will! Be it because of my mistakes or because of my successes. :)