Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:01 pm

Quote:
like the evolution that had taken place when antibiotic resistant bacteria started to become a serious problem for modern medicine.

Respectfully, this is properly an example of devolution.

You see, the bacteria originally had an extra ability, an extra enzyme, and extra information.

They used to be able to chemically-transform an anti-biotic into a poison. They have lost an ability. They have lost genetic variety. On the whole, they have lost vigor.

Evolution posits that reproductive stresses result in new, useful information.

No offense. I don't think you're trying to be spurious or subversive.

But, your example technically proves the opposite of what you are trying to say.

What if you approach a termite mound, with a steam roller. Also, I would like you to imagine a digital clock. You can use as much or as little time as you like. Is there more or less, genetic information, as a result of your stress.

How about eustress, or positive stress. What sort of annoyance would cause the population to increase. Anything just mildly negative. I can't think of any example, from real life.

As a hobbyist, I would say that mutations are numbered. You could theoretically give someone a serial number, and say that was caused by a sort of eustress or hormesis.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:53 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:
like the evolution that had taken place when antibiotic resistant bacteria started to become a serious problem for modern medicine.

Respectfully, this is properly an example of devolution.

Evolution posits that reproductive stresses result in new, useful information.

evolution by natural selection. - yes, there's less variety in the antibiotic resistant strain, as the species before use of antibiotics contained any variety that included the antibiotic resistent strain.
immediately after use, the variety is lower, that is.
then your bacterium goes on to multiply and creates a new variety.

however, and that, I guess is the tricky point: being able to convert antibiotics into poison (often ot how it works, but I'll run with it for the example) - is not useful, in an evolutionary sense, if it kills you and you can't multiply anymore.
so... natural selection ... stupid accidents - they wipe out all sorts of things all the time.

imagine: someone could have developed immunity to HIV, malaria and rabies - and gotten eaten by a sabretooth tiger.
I guess what I'm trying to say is: useful is, whatever makes you survive in a certain situation. not metabolizing antibiotics may be useful, doing so may be lethal.

evolution is a messy, contingent process.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:33 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

What if you approach a termite mound, with a steam roller. Also, I would like you to imagine a digital clock. You can use as much or as little time as you like. Is there more or less, genetic information, as a result of your stress.

How about eustress, or positive stress. What sort of annoyance would cause the population to increase. Anything just mildly negative. I can't think of any example, from real life.

As a hobbyist, I would say that mutations are numbered. You could theoretically give someone a serial number, and say that was caused by a sort of eustress or hormesis.

also: what?