Trump calls GOP health care plan "mean"

Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 12:32 pm

Trump labeling House health care bill 'mean' frustrates GOP

Quote:
President Donald Trump's labeling of a House-passed health care bill as "mean" is aggravating some of the conservatives he pressed to back it, even as Senate attempts to reshape the measure increasingly threaten to spill into July.

"In terms of strategery, I hope he's just trying to motivate the Senate," Rep. Dave Brat, R-Va., said Wednesday, employing a mangled word used by former President George W. Bush. "Because he put all sorts of pressure on us to move the bill we passed."

Congressional sources said Trump described the House bill as mean at a closed-door White House lunch Tuesday with 15 Republican senators. It was an extraordinary slap at a bill Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., guided through the House and that Trump himself had championed and praised. At a Rose Garden ceremony minutes after the bill's 217-213 House passage on May 4, Trump called it "a great plan."

"To call a bill that he pushed 'mean' leaves us scratching our heads," Brat said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 1:33 pm

Yeah, that bill is a lot more than 'mean.' It's needlessly cruel, stupid at a practical level, and politically unpopular--not to mention an extreme violation of a big Trump campaign promise not to cut medicaid and to provide affordable coverage to everyone.

It would be hilarious if the GOP manages to pass a bill and Trump vetos it!

...never happen, but it would be funny.

If they do pass something close to the house bill, I'm betting the GOP will lose bigly in the midterms.
:)

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm

I have paid for medical care, at great, personal sacrifice, because it never occurred to me, to take it from others. I budgeted myself, carefully, questioned which courses of treatment were necessary or most effective.

I have walked on precarious mountainsides, and been too far under water. I visited places, after they burned -- fast. There is no guarantee, in life, against calamity, or that help will find you, in all times and places. Sometimes, life is mean.

I have had heat stroke, broken my feet, and got a piece of metal stuck in my eyeball, among other things.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2017, 3:25 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
I have paid for medical care, at great, personal sacrifice, because it never occurred to me, to take it from others. I budgeted myself, carefully, questioned which courses of treatment were necessary or most effective.

I have walked on precarious mountainsides, and been too far under water. I visited places, after they burned -- fast. There is no guarantee, in life, against calamity, or that help will find you, in all times and places. Sometimes, life is mean.

I have had heat stroke, broken my feet, and got a piece of metal stuck in my eyeball, among other things.

It must be nice to have tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for such situations. For those of us who weren't born with silver spoons in our mouths, pooled risk is a necessity. Some things just shouldn't be entrusted to the private sector. Enjoy your $300k back surgery when you eventually need it.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

I got 4 back surgeries for half a milllion! Guess I got a deal.... :?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 6:38 pm

you gotta give it to trump- always ready to admit a mistake and learn from it!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 7:21 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

I have been unable to hold a job due to disability and also it prevented me being successful in college. And have always been poverty level as far as income so it's never occurred to me not to apply for programs designed to help those in poverty afford basic things like food and medical care.

It never occurred to me that a portion of tax money shouldn't go towards programs that help the poor and maintain the infrastructure. :D

I have a job now, but I was on SSI for the past few years because while getting counseling for PTSD and help with depression and anxiety...If I hadn't been able to receive SSI and medicaid or had access to similar programs I never would have been able to get treatment to become employable and more mentally healthy. But yes I am sure that is akin to me coming up to you and stealing your wallet :roll:

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 16 Jun 2017, 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 7:23 pm

shlaifu wrote:
you gotta give it to trump- always ready to admit a mistake and learn from it!

Well I am glad he things the very bill he talked up and wanted pushed into legislation...is mean.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 8:25 am

DevilInPgh wrote:
It must be nice to have tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for such situations.

Think again.

friedmacguffins wrote:
I budgeted myself, carefully, questioned which courses of treatment were necessary or most effective.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

And so you figure it justifies you be be heartless, and deny medical care to those without financial means?
What happens when you have such a catastrophic illness or injury that all your penny saving won't be able to cover? Are you just going to fatalistically lay down and die, and not accept public assistance?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 5:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"To call a bill that he pushed 'mean' leaves us scratching our heads," Brat said.

It's because Trump is not a conservative.

Conservatives believe they are helping people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 5:49 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

It's because Trump is not a conservative.

Conservatives believe they are helping people.

Helping poor people into an early grave?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 7:48 pm

Trump bizarrely praised Australia's healthcare system which offers universal healthcare to all Australians? Therefore can't really take his views on the now defunct Obamacare or the GOP health care plan seriously.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

I began with SSDI and Medicaid in 2010, and now at 67 I have SSI, Medicare, a secondary provider to pick up the remainder and a decent prescription plan with reasonable co-pays plus some "extra help" for that from SSI. So far I have never had to pay more than a relatively-small out-of-pocket expense at the beginning of the calendar year (plus my prescription co-pays), but I do not know what is going to happen now that I have just been diagnosed with some stage-4 cancer and the co-pay for the only medication that might slow it down a bit is over half of my monthly amount from SSI.

My point: I do not know how I might eventually be affected by any future changes in Medicare, but right now I am quite subject to being affected by the insane prices the pharmas are being allowed to charge for meds.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 10:11 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Enjoy your $300k back surgery when you eventually need it.

Shouldn't we be focusing our efforts on fighting the high costs instead of trying to fu¢k the the earners into involuntarily picking up the check? No medical procedure should cost anywhere close to 300k.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 12:34 am

Raptor wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:
Enjoy your $300k back surgery when you eventually need it.

Shouldn't we be focusing our efforts on fighting the high costs instead of trying to fu¢k the the earners into involuntarily picking up the check? No medical procedure should cost anywhere close to 300k.

ever wonder why so many westerners trek off to get surgery in a far off land? its called medical tourism. Even a simple dental procedure is still cheaper and you can throw in business class tickets and a stay in a 5 star hotel