Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Simon01
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2017, 6:04 pm

I haven't worked in a very long time primarily due to my disability and simply not being able to find jobs in the fields where I have my degrees (audio/video production and graphics), but my mental health issues also have gotten in the way. It occurred to me more recently though that with the testing I have coming up next month, there's a real possibility of finally getting treated so that I probably could handle a regular job without the depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, and Asperger's getting in the way. Even if the work wasn't directly related to my degrees or my other interests, if the work environment is good for me and the job pays well enough that I could at least keep my current apartment, that would be great.

My real issues though about any kind of work are more about being able to have a job without being forced to give everything else a higher priority. I know executive dysfunction is something aspies and people with ADHD have to deal with, and even going untreated for so long, I think I've learned my own work-around solutions, and obviously I'm not averse to following schedules and rules as part of a job, as long as there's enough consistency in all of it.

What I dread, based on past experience with jobs and college classes, was that I could handle the actual work and related challenges, only to have to deal with constant exhaustion, stress, and depression when "everything else" seemed to be more important- more energy spent on trying to stay ahead of constantly changing work schedules, unreliable transportation, and no down time to "recover"- jobs expecting employees to report to work on days off, or with the classes, having to cram a week's worth of work into a weekend because there simply wasn't time to get anything done during the week, for example. Granted, a lot of it was a long time ago, but it's hard to ignore just how bad things got in those situations- constant burnout from sensory overload and having zero control over the crap that was always getting in the way.

So I'm asking if I'm being too picky with what I'd want in terms of a job. I need a work environment that doesn't constantly exacerbate the mental issues, although if I'm being treated by the time I'd actually get a job, that might not be as much of a problem, but I still need to be sure that at least my ASD issues can be managed with minimal hassle. I'm also hoping to be able to make enough money to either keep the current apartment, or worst case, still be able to move to something smaller and cheaper but still a nice place to live that's wheelchair accessible. I could also accept having to move if I found an apartment that's closer to work, the tradeoff being less transportation problems to worry about. One possibility a friend told me about was that even a part time job would allow me to keep my SSI and combine that with what I'd be making to still either keep the current apartment or move if I needed to, so that looks better than I thought.

I am concerned about meltdowns- for me they're not that bad but I do have problems communicating when I'm either really excited or really stressed depending on how overloaded I get. I either talk too much or go nonverbal. Would that complicate things or could it be as simple as just letting people know that it might happen and how I can work around it. I'm can keep myself calm enough not to talk too much, but nonverbal might be a bigger issue. I am looking at getting text to speech on a tablet for those instances where talking would be difficult, but would that be acceptable in a work situation?

Overall I think I can handle being around people, and actually small talk and interacting with people, I'm not too worried about. I worry more about being seen as having poor social skills if I'm not interested enough in whatever behind the scenes "politics" and intrigue that might go on. I can be honestly enthusiastic about the job and the camaraderie among coworkers, but what's gotten me into trouble with jobs in the past has ironically been doing a good job, getting along well with everyone, but not being interested enough in acting like the job is the only thing in my life. I recall losing a fast food job many years ago because I asked for a shift that allowed me to take a morning class.

I'm also considering seeing about vocational rehab. I dealt with that years ago and got fed up with endless attempts by counselors to foist the most menial jobs on people with real skills and education and the grandiose promises. It's been pointed out to me that things have improved and it might be worth a second look. Plus there might be computer-based jobs where I could work from home, which would eliminate having to worry about paratransit costing me a job by being late all the time.

Paratransit would be a real problem to worry about- sometimes high functioning people with 9 to 5 jobs have to be up at 3 am for a 5 am pickup for a 3 hour trip to work, and a 3 hour ride home at the end of the day. Which is why I might have to be selective about what part of town a job might be in to avoid the long trips.

So, am I being too optimistic?